0

Finishing touches and other discussions. :)

wmsimons85

Decided to start a thread in this section, hopefully no one will ask to close it down. :)

Hope all my wonderful Houzz friends will come visit me as well as each other here.

I will be carrying on with my design challenge which has become a marathon as well as an addiction to my discussions with all of you. :)

Comments (6K)
  • wmsimons85

Seajay that is funny you asked, just chose one today! This one came out for the first time today. I wasn’t happy with the others, it was the reviews we read we were worried about.

Little things like, I was going to change out the wood slat blinds downstairs and he says leave them! He thinks I should do nothing in the kitchen either! The only thing he said we should do is have the carpets cleaned and some light switch plates changed. We had planned on doing those. I had one agent tell me the kitchen will have to be addressed in a few years because it will be even more dated. But best to have it all done at that time. They really don’t think in terms of pretty. Haha

Don’t have it on the market yet but will soon. He seems to think not much will happen before January and even then it’s a slow month! They do have some on their books that are currently vacant, so it could be a few months.

I haven’t decorated for Christmas yet! I just haven’t had the time. Was going to this past weekend but then had an open house where my space is this last Saturday and then Sunday just didn’t have a chance. Been busy this week but hope to do it it a couple of days!

By the way it was 75 here the day before yesterday so hardly puts you in a festive mood. It is now mid 40s and mid 50s this week. What’s it like in paradise?

• marrymaid
    Hey, to all of you splendid Houzzers. I typed a long note to all of you but Houzz would not post it. Doubtful I can remember it all now. Lol
    Wms, the townhouse looks nice with your updates and I am not sure if I would do much more. I think you should remember that you will not be the one living there and will rent in a heartbeat.
    We are keeping busy with our 2 daughters and their families. Between the two, 6 littles ages 4-16 and they make our hearts happy. We do the Thanksgiving and Christmas cooking and glad we can still knock it out. Family game day is here this weekend with heavy snacks, chili and beverages for all.
    Very happy to see frosted and Tammy back feeling better and with a new family member.
    Always nice to see the talented Seajay, Lynartist, Flo, Alana and those that I unintentionally left out. I so admire all of you.
    I am attaching my Merry Christmas to one and all. Extremely easily done, minimal and no imagination required but good for us.
    Wishing all a very Merry Christmas and continued blessings for the New Year. The village is for the Littles.
    wmsimons85 thanked marrymaid
  • wmsimons85

Merrymaid it is fabulous! There are so many unique beautiful things you have done! Like those shelves and that wonderful little village. You say that is no imagination! It is full of imagination and creativity! Hope you are enjoying your family, no doubt especially the little ones are loving your beautiful decorations.

• Seajaygerns
    Merrymaid. You are so sweet and thoughtful. Your decorations look fabulous and I love the suspended boxes with the Christmas village. I see you have lots of luminaire candles. So do I. I love them so much I keep them around all year. Costs a fortune in batteries but I don’t care. Haha. It makes me happy. Wishing you and your family a very happy holiday.
    Flo Mangan
    Merrymaid you have some sweet ideas. Love everything especially your open boxes. Very clever. Oh no. No creativity here! Haha. No need to be so humble!! Love that lighted wreath too. It is so inspiring to see all the different approaches, colors, and traditions of this miraculous season. Thx wms!
    wmsimons85 thanked Flo Mangan
  • lynartist
    Merry Christmas Merrymaid! Your home looks sooo lovely and inviting!! Love your winter scenes and the mantle just beautiful with that big lit wreath!
  • marrymaid
    Wanted to check in on my way to bed, as not sure what the next few weeks will bring. OH heading for a MRI on the knee tomorrow. All of your kind comments mean the world to this uninspired older lady. They actually brought tears to these eyes and a lump in the throat. You all are Blessings. Thank you.
  • allanaspree

marrymaid - those suspended boxes are pure genius! They would sell like hot cakes in PB - you could make a fortune. I find your home very warm, cozy & it screams love & family. Congratulations on encapsulating the meaning of Christmas. I hope your OH has positive news post MRI.

I have been trying catch up on all the Christmas trees & decorations etc. (that thread was a good idea wms). I have not had the time to post individual comments. I am gobsmacked at all the work you guys put into it. Frankly, I am exhausted just thinking about the amount of work and feel totally inadequate and lazy looking at the pics. I think every single person has done an amazing job & they are all beautiful. We are a lot more laid back here - possibly because it's our summer ; (sounds like a good excuse eh?). Most folks just chill out with one tree, a week or two pre Christmas, & a couple of suburbs do the outdoor lighting thing. A lot of people head to the beach 4-5 days either side of the big day so they have Christmas celebrations and also extended holidays to plan & pack for - it's our main vacation time. Well, that's my story & I'm sticking to it.

• wmsimons85

Hello Allana. Hope your enjoying you summer! To be honest that imo is how it should be. That is also how most celebrate in Europe as well. As a kid we always put the tree up one week before Christmas, it was such a special time. I can remember a girlfriend that had a birthday on the 24th and her family would spend it decorating the tree on that day! I still have the one tree and will probably never change that. But this is definitely my favorite time of year.

Merrymaid, see your beautiful tree in your reflection. :). Allana I am with you in feeling lazy. Haven’t even put up my one skinny tree yet! Haha

• lynartist
    I’m with you guys! Holding out on the decorating! I do like it but don’t want to look at it for so very long if that makes any sense! I’m not so into extending the holiday into a month long thing!
  • Seajaygerns
    I’m usually with you guys on decorating too early but Angela got into my head and I was helpless. Had to do it. Haha.
  • wmsimons85

I LOVE seeing Christmas decorations ( hence the thread!) and it may be my age showing haha but to me decorating the tree is all part of the season and It was when I was a kid. The actual decorating part more than the outcome. Lol

Think Angela started the first of November! I love decorating to Christmas music. :). This warm weather here hasn’t helped but has cooled off a bit now. Last year this time we had snow that is so unusual here, but got the decorations up and loved it!

• lynartist
    I love looking at everyone else’s decorations! Just can’t seem to get the effort to do mine just yet;)!
  • wmsimons85

Lyn hope to get the tree up this morning and hopefully start decorating tonight or tommorrow afternoon. It was 28 last night! Frost on the ground this morning so definitely feeling a bit more like Christmas than 75 degrees . :)

• Seajaygerns
    It’s cold here in paradise too but sunny and really nice. This is what I love about winter in the south. It’s not a bone chilling cold and a puffy vest or fleece jacket is all you need. Carry on.
  • lynartist
    Chilly here too! We had quite a cold spell last week and then it warmed up again! A nice change for a couple days now , a bit more seasonal so I guess I should start;)!
  • lynartist
    Watching President Bush’s funeral and shedding a few tears. Very beautiful ceremony.
  • lynartist
    Well ladies this is as far as I got today!
  • Seajaygerns
    There you go! Beautiful arrangement. I like the simple bow at the top of the chain.
  • wmsimons85

Beautiful Lyn! Love the gorgeous lush arrangement and the beautiful red. You did great today! Always helps when you have beautiful things to work with. :)

• lynartist
    Thanks guys;)! I’m working up to it)))!!!
  • marrymaid
    Beautiful, lynartist and a great example of why I hesitated posting:)). I do enjoy everything that you all post.
    Sorry it has been chilly. Here in the Midwest, it is down right cold. We even had our fireplace on and had a few snowflakes. I will post a pic from a couple of weeks ago. We enjoy feeding our bird friends.
    wmsimons85 thanked marrymaid
  • wmsimons85

Oh my Merrymaid, that could be a postcard! It is soo pretty. It is amazing you captured three red birds!! Each one eyeing that adorable birdhouse!. :)

• lynartist
    What a pretty winter scene !!! Love the birds!
  • Seajaygerns
    That is a glorious picture. I almost missed the red birds. Next year’s Christmas card, Merrymaid.
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    Hey Imhofan!! Thank you so much for your kind words. I just love the Christmas season and can’t wait to have my family around me. Been busy this week. I worked in the yards last week and messed up my back. I have a ruptured disc at L3 and now I have been I therapy and getting shots everyday since Monday. Praying it’s just a bad flare from overdoing, but you have to do it when you can!! JDBR you are always so kind and encouraging!!! I appreciate your thoughts & prayers more than you’ll ever know. I hope you and everyone here has a wonderful & blessed Christmas!!! Wmsimons can’t wait to see the Christmas decorations!! I know it will be beautiful!! Just slow down and enjoy the time a little. You can get back on it the first of the year!!! It will be gone before you know it!! Love you all!!
    wmsimons85 thanked Tammy Lawhorn
    Flo Mangan
    Tammy!!!!! Be careful! Yikes. You don’t need to be doing back breaking work. Haven’t I given you my key tip of the year? “We call people!” Lol. Just trying to cheer you up. I know you want to do it all, but save yourself for where your special talents are critical. Meanwhile get better. Relax. Everything looks beautiful ! Praying you are healed completely and fast!
  • wmsimons85

Hi Tammy. You have definitely been through the wars so to speak. So sorry to hear about your back. :(. That is the last thing you need after everything you’ve been through. Hope the shots work and as you said it is something you pulled and nothing serious. You need to take your own advice and slow down,. :). Keep us posted if you can.

You are right about enjoying this time of year, the season will be gone before I know it especially as time is going by so fast for me. I have started decorating today, the room is a complete mess with ornaments at the moment. Waiting for a call to meet someone to have the TH carpets cleaned today so probably won’t finish today. But at least I have started!

• lynartist
    Oh Tammy! Hoping and praying you are on the mend! After all the wonderful decorating you have done you go and hurt yourself doing yard work! Yikes!!!
  • lynartist
    Hi WM , how’s the decorating going? Mines going very sloooowwww:(! I got my tree up but not decorated! Finished the dining room, I did it all in red this year. Since the Champs- Elysees is hung all in red and the White House too I figured why not, if it’s good enough for Chanel ;)!!!
  • wmsimons85

So pretty Lyn!

I am not doing that much but it is also going slow. Finished with the tree. Have to tidy up and do the mantle. I bought more of the antiqued mirror trees a few months ago that they ran out of last year. But it looks maybe too busy, doesn’t look right. They look so short as well. Think the candleholders that were on the ends made a difference last year. Also have to remove the large jars as well.

Some things I used last year also don’t look right this year. Like the color of the silver trees I used on the coffee table. :/ But will try to make do some way.

Love all the deep red you’re using!

• lynartist
    Thanks, looks better in person, hard to take pics at night:(! .. for some reason can’t seem to get out of my way this year! Everyone is really enjoying your Christmas thread WM! It’s so wonderful to see all the different ways people interpret the season and they are all beautiful whether extravagant or simple!!! A better close up maybe!
  • wmsimons85

Lyn, love the table but also love what you‘ve done to your drapes. Just beautiful!!

I’m also enjoying the thread. It is so much fun to see all the different decorations like you say from extravagant to simple and pretty. Really love seeing all the pets as well. Living vicariosly. :)

• wmsimons85

Lyn you need to add your gorgeous photos to the thread now!

Thinking about it, if your reading this Marrymaid, you do too! Your decorations and your beautiful tree and bird photo. i’m sure everyone would so enjoy them

• wmsimons85

By the way, I have used ALL my ornaments on my scrawny tree this year. I am used to a much wider tree in diameter so using them all this year and It is full!! Hubby thinks I went overboard. Haha

• lynartist
    Naaa! You can never have too many;)))!!! Can’t wait to see it!!!
    Flo Mangan
    Never too many bulbs! Can’t wait to see. Don’t hold out on us. I just ordered white ostrich plumes for my First Snow tree! Our friend Mark inspired this for my tree. Next year I might get heavy flocked tree!! Already thinking of next year! Lol.
  • Seajaygerns
    Lyn. You need to post your beautiful red handy work on the Christmas thread. You too, WMS. Haha. Flo. I love the ostrich feathers on Zaz’s white angel tree. They will be perfect on First Snow.
  • wmsimons85

Flo Agree, ostrich feathers will be beautiful.

As far as my tree not too many bulbs but too many ornaments. I added a bit ribbon this year for the first time ever but was inspired by Angela and you guys. :). It pretty much looks like the one I showed you here last year, just more ornaments and a bit of ribbon. :)

• JD BR

Oh my, dear Tammy - Hopefully, it is just a pulled muscle and you’ll be back on your feet in no time.

I am keeping you in my thoughts. Thank you so much for the well wishes. Please let us know how you are.Big hugs!

• wmsimons85

Posting here first. Got my Christmas tree up and the mantle before we had to go out. Took pics lights on and off and just took a night one. The other little silver Christmas trees I have dont seem to work on coffee table this year., they are a bright silver instead of the antiqued mirror color as the ones on the mantle, so seems to clash. I stuck three next to the hydrangeas on the console, I may use the others on the dining room table.

• lynartist
    Just beautiful!!! Love your mantle, it looks so lovely! I think those glass trees are so beautiful WM and look just perfect in your perfectly fabulous room!
    wmsimons85 thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    Oh, and I love , love , love how you loaded up the tree!!!! A girl after my own heart;)))!!!
  • wmsimons85

Thank you Lyn!!

I struggled with the mantle, think having the candlesticks on the end made a difference last year. I bought the extra glass trees a few months ago because they were sold out last year and they didn’t look right. So thought I would,add the three trees in the middle to bring some height. Looking at that photo the left trees on the mantle needs to be closer to the end, it’s a bit lopsided. :)

I was worried that the tree may look silly. I loaded it up! Hubby thinks I went over the top. I used all my ornaments which I didn’t last year because it is a skinny tree! Wasn’t sure about the star also got it from HL last year, mine broke in transport, along with quite a few glass ornaments. But it is a skinny star from the side along with my skinny tree. :)

• marrymaid
    Your home with your Christmas decorations just looks gorgeous. Love all the ornaments on the tree and the mantel is just right. You have done a wonderful job.
    wmsimons85 thanked marrymaid
  • lynartist
    Haha!! I don’t think you can ever have too many ornaments on the tree!!! I put so much stuff on mine I’m afraid it will collapse from the weight! I think everything looks perfect!
    wmsimons85 thanked lynartist
  • wmsimons85

Thank you Marrymaid for those kind words!

• wmsimons85

Lyn can’t wait to see yours, especially before it collapses. :)

• Seajaygerns
    Me too!! LOL.
  • lynartist
    It might take awhile;)))!!!

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)