Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asia_rubeiz

Granite Kitchen Help PLEASE!

Asia Rubeiz
6 years ago
We are trying to find a granite that works with our current cabinets/backsplash and will also work with a white or grey cabinet in the future. The color is called Ornamental White. It is a little busy with areas of garnet. It looks awesome with the white or grey samples but I'm torn on how it looks with our current cabinets.

The edges. I like an eased edge. It's modern looking and currently popular. my husband thinks the half-bull is more timeless and will hold up in the future. We'll also have this cut on our island.

The sink: I want a sink with no dividers but my husband is used to the traditional sink style. Anyone regret a big no compartment sink? should we go with the bottom 60/40 option?

Comments (30)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    6 years ago

That will go fine with your current cabinets sine they are medium tone wood.

Go with one big bowl, it is so much easier to wash large pots/pans. The only time i would say to go with a split bowl if you don't use the DW for plates/bowl/ etc.

• hsharrington
    6 years ago

Definitely don't do the 60/40. That 40 sink is good for about nothing except soaking your undies. I really like our one bowl sink. It gives us plenty of room for large items and works well when I'm peeling potatoes or doing another chore where I want to contain the mess.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    6 years ago

Love my single bowl deep sink.

• annied75
    6 years ago
    Go with one, big sink. I had one a few houses ago and LOVED it. When we built, my husband insisted on a divided one. I caved, and regretted the decision. Our current kitchen remodel will have a single sink.
  • Heidi Kostrey
    6 years ago
    I love my 60/40. My colander fits perfectly on the small sink - great for washing fruit/veggies and rinsing beans/draining canned foods.
  • Amy Kern
    6 years ago

Our friends just built a house with this granite and hate it, they have grey cabinets but the granite pulls really purple unless that is what you are going for? They said it’s much prettier on the small sample pieces

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

no to that granite. it's too cool toned for your warm cabinets.

pick something like :

Delicatus Cream (often called Alaska White,,,has a brighter white)

this is TajMajal next to your cabs. it's a quartzite. one of the 'harder' quartzite that don't etch. And please do some nice cab hardware

Cristallo Fusion Quartzite.

i don't have the name for this,,,saw it at a stoneyard.

any of the blacks will look great. this is a honed Virginia Mist granite.

Go to a stoneyard at look at the slabs. please don't pick something from a 4" sample.

• bluvelvet222
    6 years ago
    I have a single bowl copper sink that I love. I love your cabinets, by the way!
  • hsharrington
    6 years ago

Remember everybody--Asia said that they want the granite to work with white or grey cabinets in the future.

• Asia Rubeiz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I found this example with the granite and white cabinets and really like the way it works.
  • hsharrington
    6 years ago

Hi Asia! Beth H is right--go to the stone yard. What she forgot to say was, remove a cabinet door and take it with you. It should be a door and not a drawer because you want the largest surface of your current cabinet color you can transport. This is the fail safe way to pick your granite.

If you're really going all out, get a white or grey cabinet door and take that too. You can probably check out a sample door from a cabinet company, but even if you have to buy the door, I highly recommend it. You may not use those exact colors in the future, but this will give you guidance. It will let you pick your granite with assurance that it will work well now and then.

Keep in mind that the lighting in your kitchen and the outdoor or warehouse lighting at the stone yard will be different. Make sure you see your final slab picks in natural light. Look for flaws carefully and be there when they match the counter template to your slabs. That way you can choose (for the most part) where special sections of the stone wind up or where to eliminate a section you're not fond of. The template drives the fit, but I had one slab where simply turning the template 180 degrees revealed the best parts of the slab.

• Asia Rubeiz
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    thank you hsharrington. We did take grey, white, and our color cabinets to match the slabs. It was recommended to go with something that had more gold tones for our current cabinets but we just didn't like the style and business. I don't have a good eye for knowing what colors go well with each other. We know for certain the granite looks awesome with white cabinets! So if it doesn't work with our current cabinet color, we were planning on painting them in the future anyway.
  • PRO
    Debra Lee Darnell Designs
    6 years ago
    When selecting your future granite, select one that has bits of white and gray in it and it should be fine... Your cabinet color is wonderful!

I am an interior designer. I have attached a photo for you.
  • cpaul1
    6 years ago

My best suggestion is do not plan your kitchen in phases. Make an overall plan before you even start. That counter top does not match with your cabinets. And then I would recommend one large sink. I think partitioned sinks are dated.

• hsharrington
    6 years ago

Hi again Asia! You are so smart to walk away when a business itself doesn't feel right. Our instincts about that sort of thing are the best thing to listen to when they speak up! It's tough to make a decision when we're unsure of our judgement, but I think you've actually decided when you are so enthusiastic about how good the granite looks with the white cabinet sample.

Is there something driving buying the granite now as opposed to waiting until the white cabinets exist?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

"And then I would recommend one large sink. I think partitioned sinks are dated."

cpaul1:

With the exception of the relatively new "low divide" sink partitions, 85% of my sink replacement customers agree with you.

• ilesliemy
    6 years ago
    I absolutely love my single sink. I have been taking out the double bowl sinks and putting in single sinks for 30 years. I see no advantage to double bowl unless you never use a dishwasher, I love that I can put cookie sheets and my largest pans in my single sink.
  • 467181pbj
    6 years ago
    Double bowl sinks take up a lot of space. I replaced mine with a deep single bowl and love it. Does your husband cook or do the dishes? If so, you need his input. If not,do what works for you.
  • mont
    6 years ago
    Hi, single bowl sink with offset drain gives you more space to fit garbage can and disposal underneath and are great.
  • Jennifer K
    6 years ago

I generally really like my large single-bowl sink. But when my husband has plunked all the dirty dishes there instead of into the adjacent dishwasher and I need to drain the pasta, I really wish for a 60/40 sink.

My sister, who does a lot of dishes by hand (despite having a dishwasher) hates my sink and loves her double. She also really loathes the metal rack in the bottom of my sink. I'm of two minds about it- it keeps dishes marking the sink but it makes it harder to clean the sink.

My mum has a 60/40 and likes that best. She preps food on the small side and uses the large side for constant clean-up.

Don't buy your sink for fashion, buy it for function. It needs to fit the way you work.

• proudmary22
    6 years ago
    Another vote for the single bowl, deep sink. You will not regret that.
  • hsharrington
    6 years ago

It's so funny that a post about granite is now all about the sink! I have a deep single bowl and my garbage bin and recycle bin both slide out from under with lots of clearance. They are tandem as opposed to side by side. Got the mechanism from Lowe's for about $50 and it works wonderfully. Couldn't do that when I had a two bowel sink.

• Barb Obdrisek
    6 years ago
    Go with one sink. I couldn’t figure out what to do with the smaller side.

Instead of granite look at quartz. Unlimited choices. Easy care. I love mine. I have Cambria quartz.
  • Boxerpal
    6 years ago

Hi Asia,

I agree with Debra Lee Darnell... Get a granite with bits of white and it will be just fine. Go with your instinct on the installer. I think your cabinets will look terrific with a granite with white and grey bits.

Here are some images similar to what you are thinking about.

Montville Project · More Info

Ultracraft Raised Amber Cherry Kitchen · More Info

Urban Cottage · More Info

Artisan Kitchen Remodel · More Info

This last one is a little more gray but I love the look with these cabs.

Kitchens · More Info

• claire9707
    6 years ago
    I think if you go with that granite you will need to paint the cabs. The cabinets are warm and the granite is cooler. Also the backsplash is warm and earthy which I think will clash and annoy you the most. I think you should go to the stone yard with a door and find something that is a creamier white that may have some gray and rusty tones in it. I have gray cabs with brown Island and this is my granite. Apparently grey is going to be out of trend from what I hear so if you paint cabs then you should go with white. I kept my backsplash simple because the granite was kind of busy.
  • claire9707
    6 years ago
    And I think your cabs are really nice as is. Also one big deep sink is definitely the way to go. This one is a Franke with the 2 grids.
  • Lisa SW
    6 years ago
    Kbhayes gives superb advice: know how you and your family use your sink. I’m the contrarian who as part of a complete remodel replaced a single sink with a 60/40 low divide. I think my husband and Jennifer’s may have been separated at birth! I’ve been relatively successful in training him to keep dishes in the larger sink. I now have access to a faucet and drain without having to clean his mess. I use the 40 side, which houses the disposal, for prep, draining, and filling. Next we’ll tackle dishwasher training.
  • Tracy Jones
    6 years ago

I must be in the minority, but I prefer a double sink. I also prefer to do my dishes by hand, so that is probably why. I do however prefer the look of a single sink.

• richfield95
    6 years ago

From the pictures, your granite looks too cool for your cabinets.

If you use a dishwasher, then I vote for a large single bowl sink with an offset drain; I love mine. The offset drain makes enough space under the sink for a pullout.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida