blueiris3

Springbank Park London, ON, Plant Swap 2018 edition

blueiris3
last year

Hello all,

It's been a long cool start to the gardening season. Really looking forward to seeing more flowers soon, so far I've got winter aconites, snow drops and the few crocuses the squirrels haven't moved. LOL.

I'm really looking forward to our annual plant swap. With a friend I've started over 60 kinds of seeds in 70 winter sowing tubs. Some of the seeds are quite old, others are brand new, it's always fun to see what germinates!

Hope lots of people can come out! How is Saturday May 26th, or Saturday June 2nd for everyone?

• Mary Kate

How fun it is to find you all again! And in such a fun coincidence too! I don't know if you remember me, as I've only come to one swap of yours. I was Didzgarden (Greylady used to call me Ditzgarden, which I loved)

Well Guess who's my co-worker?! Greylady and I got talking about the forum, and who'd have guessed you're all still at it? And why not. Certainly a bright corner of the web, if I've ever seen one.

Sadly as per usual I will be working the day of the swap, but that's not to say I won't once again enjoy reading this thread and recognizing some friends I made from the way back. ;)

Ross I still have your Peony in my front yard. And I believe it was Greylady who gave me some Lady's Mantle and dwarf Goat's beard. Im sure there is more, but I do think of this swap every spring when things start to poke their heads up.

Its nice to 'See' you all again! Happy Spring!

MK
    (Ditzgarden.. LOL)

• greylady_gardener

MK!! So happy to see you popping in! Sorry that you won't be able to come to the swap this year....next year! :). If you see anything on my list that you are interested in just let me know. :)

• blueiris3

Hi MK!!

Hey Amanda - please @ re - seeds - can receive but not send emails... the joys of typing one handed, or rather the annoyance of a hyper sensitive trackpad... lol.

• mauritiana

Heather - yes, I have the seeds! A reminder is always a good idea, so thanks for that. :-)

• greylady_gardener

Okay so besides the rhubarb crisp I will also be bringing apple coleslaw.

Weather says we will have a nice day weather-wise.... sunny and about 20 degrees....of course that could have changed since I last heard :)... hope not... that sounds perfect!

Getting nervous trying to keep everything looking perky until Saturday. Some plants pot up and never miss a beat and others just go all droopy and take forever to perk up. :(

Well I was out today so couldn't work outside.... apparently the squirrels like it when me and the dog aren't out in the yard!! Neighbour feeds the squirrels and they bring them here to bury in my pots!! ..... Not sure how many times I have already had to fix the messes they have made :(

• blueiris3

Hello all, the big day is nearly here!! My shortest trade list ever!!!

Please let me know if I am missing any trades;

Amanda

hos white poppies for your red iris

yellow/blue dwarf iris for your campanula glomerata

Merja

orange tulips - thanks for trading today, when you picked up G.C. signs

Lois

Mexican Hat for your dwarf pink monarda 'cherry pops'

Ross

Pycnanthemum Verticillatum HoS for your bears breeches

Ratibida Columnifera for your 1 Luna Pink Swirl 2 year old Hibiscus Moscheutos

• greylady_gardener

Heather-- the cherry pops' monarda is red.... hope you didn't want pink :)

• blueiris3

Lois, no worries, I haven't met a monarda that I don't like :-)

• rosco_pc

MK: Sorry that you are unable to join us on Saturday! Glad to hear that the offerings you received from past swaps are doing well...as are mine. Take care and happy gardening. Ross.

Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow. Ross

• Dottersccv

Hi, here I am coming in at the last minute. Rushing out this morning, should be back online this aft. Plan is to bring something for gamblers circle, and potato salad (no mayo). Does this fit in with food items so Far? If someone is already doing this please let me know, I can easily bring an alternative.

• dinnerpl8dahlia

Everyone: Trades= If I missed anyone or anything just point it out. Very small list this year which is good. Life has gotten crazy for the moment. My garden has become lovely and full over the years because of all of you. Thank you all !!!

Ross: giving you a Blackberry bush and Dahlia-Pooh, in trade from you a Japanese Kerria and English Marigold

flowergirl: giving you 2 Dahlias, Pooh and Parkland Rave, in trade from you a pink and white Dahlia and Dahlily Bella Lugo

mauritiana: Thornless Blackberry and Hosta Weee, in trade from you Lavendar and creeping thyme.

greylady: giving you Cherry Lungwort, Dahlia Josie chantel, Dahlia Thomas Edison, Dahlia Pooh, In trade from you already talked about them :)

• rosco_pc

Hi All; Wow what a great day! It was so nice seeing you all again and sharing the garden talk and a great lunch. Thank you also from Elaine and my mother who both thoroughly enjoyed the day. Once again I have a new appreciation for the garden as I have been busy tonight finding spots for all the new arrivals. I hope everyone is as pleased with their new plants as I am. You folk are all so generous and I am truly proud to call you all friends. Enjoy your gardens. Will "talk" again soon. Ross.

• blueiris3

Hello all,

Thank you all so much for another wonderful get together!! Golden friendships, good food, great swaps, and gambler's circle treasures to boot!! I echo Ross' sentiments.

Here is the mint syrup recipe I mentioned:

Sekanjabin - medieval mint syrup:
    Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2.5 cups water

When it comes to a boil add 1 cup vinegar, simmer for 30 minutes

Add a handful of mint, (or in H's case as much as will fit) remove from heat, let cool. remove mint, strain.
    Dilute the resulting syrup to taste with ice water
    The syrup is shelf stable without refrigeration.

It also works as a drink mix, hot drink, and neat as a cough syrup!! (new personal fave - raspberry mint granita)

I always feel like the "just for laughs" festival mascot "Mommmmmyyyy, it's oooover!" I look forward to meeting again same time next year!!

Hugs,

Heather / BlueIris3

• flowergirl_on

Hi everyone,

thank you for the great time spent together and all the exciting new plants!! Now I am trying to look for a perfect spot for them all. Thus I have a question to

Ross: how tall does this Mock Orange grow? Trying to research on the web I found that depending on the variety there is big height differences. Thank you in advance.

• rosco_pc

Heather: Great comparison with the line of the JFL Mascot! It comes and goes again so quickly every year.

Merja: My Mock Orange is kept right at about 6'. It does get some tall leaders growing straight out the top every year but |I just cut them back to keep mine at the consistent height. I suppose without trimming it might reach 8-10'? Hope that helps. Ross.

• flowergirl_on

Thank you, Ross, that helps a lot. :)

• greylady_gardener

Well here I am coming in a week late to express my thanks to everyone for another wonderful swap!! The weather was perfect and it was so nice to see everyone... I do look forward to seeing you all every year. The good food and new plants are lots of fun too! :)

I would love to say that all the new additions are settled in their new homes but I am afraid that wouldn't be true ... some have been planted and the rest are getting planted little by little and as usual I think of each of you when planting them and each time I see them in the garden. Thank you again for all the generous trades. :).

Looking forward to seeing you all next year. :)

• greylady_gardener

Ross-- --i hope that you will see this... I promised to try and find out the name of the hosta that you got from me... Christine has identified it.... the name is "island charm"

Hope it does well for you :)

• Dottersccv

My latest project, growing watercress from cuttings. I hope to maintain growth over winter. Perhaps I will have some plants to trade next June. YouTube shows a few different ways to start up watercress. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlxwmp41ZuI

• rosco_pc

Lois and(Christine); Thanks for providing the "name to the face" of Hosta Island Charm. Looks as though it along with all the other great new additions to the garden is settling in nicely. Happy gardening. Ross.

• greylady_gardener

Ross--a question :). I am not able to post a picture at the moment... hopefully later if necessary. I found a surprise in the pot of chives (which I am finally getting around to planting) I hope you can identify it just by telling me what is planted close by.

• rosco_pc

Lois: The Chives came from my vegetable garden, and I believe I removed them before I actually planted anything nearby. They are close to garlic, Egyptian walking onions and I always have morning glories popping up in the vegetable garden. Does that give you any ideas? Sorry but I will need the picture to give you anything else. Hope your gardening season is going well. I just came in from harvesting and peeling garlic. Always enjoy the garden! and the smells associated with it.!Talk again soon. Ross.

• greylady_gardener

Oh hurray!! I am finally able to post the picture. Not the best looking picture...leaf is sort of an elongated heart shape... quite thick and sturdy and shiny... hope you are able to maybe enlarge the image to get a better look.

Getting the garden in shape little by little... everything is not in the ground yet but almost... snapdragons are budded and beginning to show colour.. four o'clocks are still small.. lots going on! Tiny tomatoes and peppers on the plants, zucchini has flowers but the plant is still pretty small... something new this year...cucamelons... thank you for getting back to me I look forward to seeing if you recognize the mystery plant

ETA... I noticed the mystery plant when I took the chives to the garden to plant them but ended up not planting and waiting to see what you said. I will take them out of the pot and get them in the ground tomorrow... I will be able to see what the volunteer plant has for roots and will pot it up separately until we have an id.

• greylady_gardener

T

this is what the leaf grew from.. some kind of tuber or rhizome. It was at the very bottom of the pot. Maybe it was in some recycled soil from another pot? It is potted up in its own pot now. I tried to post in the 'name that plant' forum but seems to be a glitch and kept deleting my post as I was typing.

• greylady_gardener

Was able to post a picture in name that plant with no comments as my message deletes as I type.... someone has asked if it could be elephant ears..did you grow anything like that Ross?

• rosco_pc

Lois: Yes indeed I did grow elephant ears last year ...and that is what it would probably be. Enjoy it! I hope it does well for you. Talk later. Ross.

• greylady_gardener

Thank you for letting me know! :) I appreciate it.

• dinnerpl8dahlia

Can anyone identify this plant. The one with the pink flowers

• dinnerpl8dahlia

Did anyone else receive a piece of Plumeria at the swap. I forgot to ask what colour it was. Also can't remember the name of the guy who gave it to us.

• flowergirl_on

Beth, his name is Jeff and his daughter told me that the plumeria flower is white with yellow center. I have never seen that plant in the pic before...hope someone can help you with the id.

• flowergirl_on

Lois, I have a question about Joe Pye Weed. There was two stems in the pot and first they looked pretty similar but now it looks like they are not the same kind of plant. One has a red stem and the other is green. Are they different varieties of Joe Pye Weed or is the green one something totally different?

• greylady_gardener

Hmmm... I am not sure what to say.... I am going to have to go out and check to see what it could be... I am going to have to wait for the rumbling and rain to stop though... I will get back to you soon....how is the knautia Macedonica doing?

• flowergirl_on

Knautia macedonica is doing really well. It is getting lots of new growth from the base. Thank you for asking! :)

Ross, are either one of the Clematis integrifolias alive any more? If not I can try and divide mine next spring.

• rosco_pc

Merja: Sorry to report that I didn't have any success with them. They appeared as though they were growing but in the end they died off before rooting on their own. If your plant of the same is still thriving next year...I would love to have a piece to try. Thanks for the offer. Talk later. Ross.

• greylady_gardener

Happy to hear that the knautia is doing well! :). I have really enjoyed mine this year.

I am going to have to look at the Joe Pye weed tomorrow and see what is around it. it sure poured today... everything is well watered including the weeds.

• flowergirl_on

Ross, sorry to hear that the clematis didn't make it. I was wondering about it because one half turned black just before the swap even they grew a bit in the beginning. I will certainly do my best to try and get a piece out of the clematis clump next spring...with roots this time hopefully.

• rosco_pc

Merja: That would be great! I must also add that the red Salvia plants that I received from you are coming along quite nicely and should be showing some nice red colouring soon.

• greylady_gardener

Merja--I looked at the seedlings around the Joe Pye weed... just have a few that are approximately five or six inches tall... the leaves look like smaller versions of the large leaves on the big plant except the stems are green. Are both seedlings you have the same size? All I can think of is that maybe the stems turn red as they get bigger and older. I didn't see anything else around that had similar leaves...(hibiscus, goldsturm rudbeckia, tall asters and eupatorium 'chocolate' were nearest neighbours)

• flowergirl_on

Lois, I just took really close look at the green plant and the stem is square just like on my agastache 'Honey Bee Blue' but the leaves look like Joe Pye Weed. Do you have any other kind of Agastache? The two plants are almost the same height so it should be red by now and Joe Pye Weed stem is round also so it is not that. I might have to wait and see what kind of flowers it gets. :)

• greylady_gardener

Well this is a mystery! :) I can't think what it is. I do have another agastache which I got last year called 'mandarin' but it and the 'honey bee blue' are in the back yard... the 'joe pye weed' is in the front yard. I will take a better look at it later today and let you know if I can see anything else that it might be.

• mauritiana

Ross: Ok, I just realized I made a complete mistake with one of the plants I gave you. Instead of mayapple, I gave you wild ginger. The latter is actually a great plant (you can even eat it!) but it's definitely not what you thought you were getting. Argh! I'm happy to give you one "freebie" next time around - so sorry about that!

• mauritiana

Dinnerpl8: I think you had the mystery dahlia in the gamblers circle and wanted a pic? Here it is!

• dinnerpl8dahlia

Mauritiana: Now that is just strange...Not sure what happens to the Dahlias in my bin. I had some that looked like that but were red or striped red. One was half and half once. Thanks for sharing that Mauritiana. I am laughing remembering you said you killed plants like that. Looks like it did really well. "High fives you" LOL

-Beth

• rosco_pc

Amanda: I planted that plant the day of the swap and noticed at the time that it was very similar to a plant that I had gotten the year before but I just came to the conclusion that I must have gotten the original plant from the gamblers circle and that now I had two Mayapples to grow. Thanks for clearing that up for me and I will enjoy the Ginger. Hope your gardens are tolerating the heat this year! Talk later. Ross.

• dinnerpl8dahlia

This is the Plumeria that I got at the swap from Jeff. Can’t believe it bloomed and has more to come. It is still growing roots and not planted in soil yet. What a super great surprise. Wow

• flowergirl_on

Beth, if your plumeria is not in soil, do you have it in the water or? Mine has buds but they haven't opened yet. Do you fertilize it already? I can't wait for mine to open, it's really pretty.

• rosco_pc

Beth: Great colour on that Plumeria. Enjoy!

• dinnerpl8dahlia

flowergirl_on

My Plumeria was in water after I dipped it in Stimroot. Roots started sprouting and then I saw green coming. Did not realize they were flower buds at the time. A couple got bigger and then blossomed. I have never had a Plumeria plant. Wow. There it sat in water with flowers. Just today I put it in a pot with some cactus type soil and watered it. Hopefully it doesn't go into shock. I am the one in shock. Didn't think it would flower so soon. Wow !!!

Rosco: I do love the colour and I am enjoying it for sure. That was a bonus.

• rosco_pc

Beth: Just wanted to let you know that Dahlia "Pooh" is flowering nicely as I type. It is a real colorful beauty! Thanks for the trade.