0
Find the right pro for your project

need fuschia dark eyes housplant help

whit
April 2, 2018

I purchased a fuschia dark eyes in the beginning of March. I have placed it a partially shady area, a south/east facing window and it receives unfiltered light from about 8-10:30 and shade the rest of the day. It has suddenly become very wilty looking. I only water when the first inch or so of soil dries out and bottom water as well. this will be the second fuschia plant that I have tried in the past 8 months and the last one died too. the weird thing is it also is putting out new leaves....

What am i doing wrong?? help??

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

We don't know where you are located but where I am Fuchsias are not even in leaf. They do not make good houseplants. If you really want to keep one indoors it needs to be in a very bright spot with a lower temperature than is usual in a home. Yours is desperate for more light. I should also get rid of the white gravel as it prevents you from seeing the state of the soil mix.

But honestly, I'd more or less give up on this one and start again when you can keep it outdoors for summer. You can then learn how to overwinter them in a dormant state for next year.

• whit

I'm in zone 8a, we have been having temps in 70's and up. It only goes up from here. Everything I read online says to keep it in the shade or filtered light. The top dressing is gnattrol which I can remove I guess.

Thanks

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

References to filtered light are for outdoors, not inside the house. If it is 70 f outside that's where your Fuchsia should be. They truly don't make good houseplants. You shouldn't get fungus gnats outside. In fact getting them inside indicates excess moisture in the mix.