Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
k32shooter

Just a few pics of my spring trees

Here's a sample of my Japanese Maples. Not all are pictured as some of them has already lost their spring colors while some have not even leafed out yet.

Sister Ghost

Jordan in the fore ground, Purple Ghost on the right, Fjelheim & Dahi Dahi Haru on the left.

Koto no ito

Mikawa Yatsubusa with a Ki Hachijo behind it.

Purple Ghost from above pic.

Moonfire

Watnong (the tree looks better than the pic)

Dahi Dahi Haru from above. These leaves and the maroon branch's look stunning!

Orange Dream

same Orange Dream from another angle

Comments (29)

• David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

More

Ariadne

Close up of Ariadne leaves

Terrells Tree, this one has outstanding multi colored fall leaves

Amagi Shigure, has not reached it's best color yet.

Rhode Island Red

Akane

Akane, different view

Fireball

Hefners Red

Peach's & Cream

This is most but not all of my collection.

• indianagardengirl
    6 years ago

Beautiful, David. Thanks for sharing! Makes my northern heart jealous, sigh.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked indianagardengirl
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Very nice!! Yours are about 2-3 weeks ahead of mine. Just picked up a Rhode Island Red today, the newest member of my collection :-)

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Wow! Beautiful collection you have there. Thanks for sharing. My Japanese Maples only have tiny buds as of today.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
  • Vivian_2010 IL 5a/b
    6 years ago

Beautiful collection and nice woodland setting. Thanks for sharing. We are still in the winter here in Chicago, although the container trees in the garage are all starting to break buds. Need to manage them for the next 10 days as we still have night temp in the low 20's and up teen's.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked Vivian_2010 IL 5a/b
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone, not sure why the second set is not the same size as the 1st.

There's still a few I'm patiently waiting on such as Aureum, Autumn Moon & Moonrise (which will be fully opened within the next week I hope)

I also have, Bihou, Scarlet Princess, Otaha, Tamukeyama, Garnet, Oshio Beni, Dancing Peacock, Waterfall, Abigail Rose, Sango Kaku, Bloodgood, Radiant, Summer Gold (this one is very stunning when everything else leaf's out if it gets plenty of sun) Oku Kuji Nishiki, Seiryu & a 3-trunk Fireglow.

Some say I got a little carried away but I like, no LOVE them all. I want a Grandma Ghost soooooo bad but cant find one local.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Garden Gal, The Rhode Island Red is very stunning, it's spectacular when the sun shines on/through it at the right angle. My picture taking ability does not do any of them justice.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

The appearance is a bit more stubby or shrub-like than I would prefer but suited well for container growth....which all my JM's enjoy. Somehow I have managed to avoid a red leaved maple in my collection.....or at least one that is red most of the season. I was leaning heavily towards Fireglow as I use that in garden designs frequently. May still be on the lookout for that one, if I can find a baby :-) I start all my JM's small...........

Original Author
    6 years ago

Garden Gal, I started a few of mine small then I changed my view. I'm now 60 so I wont have time to see many very small ones mature. I feel I will better enjoy them now while I can take care of them. I found out the hard way that you never know what tomorrow holds. Enjoy your loved ones and passions while you can.

My best red's in no certain order are, Fireglow (stayed red all last year in what I think is too much shade) added bonus while mulching earlier I found several seedlings under it. Hefners Red, I have one in full sun and one in high open shade. Late in the summer there will be some green showing nut not much(more of a dark olive). Also seedlings found under these. From afar they both still looked red. Amagi Shigure, this one is kind of a cross of a pink and red, very pretty but show's more green than the others late in the year.

I'm also looking at a Shaina I think I want.

6 years ago

David, you can purchase a smaller Grandma Ghost from Iconic Gardens online store Link

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

David, I grow all my maples in containers so having them achieve a mature size is not a big consideration for me. Even with root pruning and up potting, they remain semi-dwarfed, which is fine with me as there is a limit to the number of large containers I can tend to easily :-)

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Stewart, I have my nursery looking for me one. He deals in hundreds of Japanese Maples and even has a few of his own releases such as Radiant, Dai Dai Haru & Terrells Tree.

Garden Design Nursery I highly recommend them. Garden Gal, I'm sure you could find a baby here, just not sure about shipping. He has lots more than what is listed on the website.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I don't do mail order :-) I have to see my trees in person! My nursery buyer also brings in a huge selection of JM's but most are larger plants. If I want, I can request specific cultivars and she will bring them in for me but the trees only get ordered once a year. That's how I got my Ariadne, Akane and Baldsmith.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm the same way. I want to see what I'm getting. If you want I'd be glad to send you some seeds from my Fireglow this coming winter.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

Ah, but the tree that will grow from those seeds won't be a Fireglow.........:-)

Original Author
    6 years ago

I know but............ You never know, you just might get one unique enough to name and start your own cultivator.

Take care.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    6 years ago

I agree with you about ' Summer Gold ' I grew one for years until a large branch crushed it. I think your 'Jordan' looks awesome in your woodland setting. I'm growing a Jordan myself below ...last year pic.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked alley_cat_gw_7b
  • Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    6 years ago

Wow nice collection of JM's. i'm looking to acquire my 6th which will be a Bihou to compliment my other tree's.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked Nick (9b) Modesto Area
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alley_Cat, Your Jordan has it's glow on! For me Jordan is a fast grower. The only thing I would do different with mine is I'd make sure it got more sun. When all my tree's leaf out there's so much shade it darkens a good bit. Still a pretty green just not as vibrant.

• coniferbros
    6 years ago

Beautiful trees David, and a nice setting as mentioned above.

I grow some, but am limited in my cold climate. I do have a 'Jordan', and I have to say that is my favorite of your current picture series.

Thanks for sharing, and feel free to post more as they continue to leaf out.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked coniferbros
    6 years ago

The 'Skeeters Broom' or the similar 'Twomblys Red sentinel' is defenitely an eye catcher.

Very pretty alley cat, I remember you posting this photo at least 1 or 2 years ago. Do you have any future plans if a tree grows too close to one another?

• coniferbros
    6 years ago

Damn fine picture Al! All the contrasting colors. You might have talked me into one.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked coniferbros
  • alley_cat_gw_7b
    6 years ago

Hey Stu, I do like seeing the individual trees when possible. I've been known to edit....sometimes I can't leave well enough alone...

Original Author
    6 years ago

Great photo alley cat, I really like the skeeters broom. I have a single trunk hefners red that's about that size. I really like it when the sun shines through it at the right angle. Then again I think all the reds look great with the sun shining on/through them.

• Darren Harwood
    6 years ago

LOVE THE PICS!!

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked Darren Harwood
  • Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    6 years ago

Wow. What a collection! Thanks for sharing.

David (N.E. Georgia, zone 8a) thanked Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
  • Tom Mather
    5 years ago

You’ve got some beautiful trees and a nice setting for them. I’ve got some of the same varieties, including Orange Dream and Mikawa yatsubusa. Unfortunately, my Koto no ito was trampled by workers and died. It reminded me of a miniature weeping willow.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Tom,

I have to explain to everyone that it's not a weeping willow and that it is a Japanese Maple. I really like it a lot.

Sorry to hear about your tree. Sometimes workers just don't care about other peoples property. I had the same thing happen to one of mine early on even after the owner of the company and I talked about it and to make sure to watch out for it. Not 30 minutes into the job they had broken it in half. Come time to pay the bill I handed him a check minus what I had paid for the tree. He didn't like it but he took it and left.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio