Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
senchip

dining set chalk refinishing to match cherry kitchen cabinets

senchip
6 years ago
Hi everyone :)
My daughter always tells me I have too much going on as far as decorating..you may think that too, but I really like this style ( if you can call it that)
I am honored to hear your ideas and comments.
For the table I thought to have it dark brown and chairs/china cabinets in gray as I have done my jewelry box -pictured
Regards,
Senchi

Comments (56)

• jmm1837
    6 years ago

Don't. Just don't.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    The reason you like the inspiration table is because it has beautiful, turned oversized legs giving it interest and dimension. Your table does not have those features. Plus, if you go casual it won’t work with your current other furniture. If you still want to paint, make it fun and pull color from your room and tie that color in. Could be deep blue or red/blue combo. Red base color with navy blue top surface then dark blue on top gently removing the blue to
    Reveal red undercoat. Something like that might work.
  • latifolia
    6 years ago

If you recover your dining chairs it will give your set the new look you desire.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Nice rugs, especially! I don't yet get if you'll change the curio unit [what's it called again?].... lighten that with chalk paint.... and the chair fabric... !

• senchip
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you everdebz:) yes, I would refinish the china/curio cabinet as well.
    Loved the idea of navy blue with red underneath..what kind of fabric should I use for chairs?
  • senchip
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo Mangan thank you very much for looking and especially for your idea! I had not even thought of the navy blue option..I think it’s perfect! ;)
    Would these be close to what you had on mind? Of course it would show original red underneath.
    Beside the rug navy blue and teal I have paintings, picture frames, pillows that would really look great with the new dining room finish. :) excited!!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Yes! Of course, get a good match to the navy in your rug so there is continuity between the spaces. You can watch YouTube videos that describe how to do this. I think it would update but still maintain the look of the pieces. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Do the furniture first and then you can get some sample chair fabric. I will look for some ideas.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 years ago

NO NO NO

• senchip
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I made some decoration changes and looks much better with added blue stuff.. this is just temporary as the material on the chairs are napkins just placed there to visualize the material change..also added blue plates I just found at goodwill!! One of them is from late 1800 and early 1900 - got it for $2.99
    Thoughts?
  • senchip
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    This is the one Japanese Old plate I was talking about ...so lovely
    The blue one was also goodwill find for $1.99
    Forgot to mention the painting is mine from years back .. fits the blue
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

... Cause the curio is somewhat squished in a corner, why not just alter that? [a color that blends some with wall].... I kind of like how the dining set brings out the warm color of rug, do you? Is that so bad, boring, whatever it is?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

A plain style dining set will not turn out the same as your jewelry box because it has no details or carvings to enhance.

I just don't think this is the style you are looking to create.

• senchip
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    BeverlyFLADeziner, you are absolutely right! I would not like it to look like that-my plain lines table would have different effects than my jewelry box.
    Have decided to stay with this color— may just refinish the cabinet but still an option..
    I have made some changes and for now I really love it..:)
    The chairs fabric will be replaced -pictured are just napkins I am trilling to see if those colors would fit
    Will change curtains, and position them higher as we have that option due to the high ceilings.
    Attached is pic of our living room with an example of the curtains.. will add old navy boarder later.. or any other idea to add some life to these linen plain curtains?
    Thank you all for your patience and help!!
  • everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I am repeating myself, but is there not a pretty look and/or color to the rug? I'd try that direction to enhance the rugs.... soften the curio [instead of dark-ish stain, which the set has fine]....

• everdebz
    5 years ago

How's it going?

• AerynSun
    5 years ago

I don't think your idea of painting is bad - I don't know why some people get hysterical at the idea of painting wood - it can always be stripped back and restained to original if desired...HOWEVER, that dining set is VERY plain lines, so no, not that. Those curtains in the living room, look too sheer a fabric for that style room, but that's just me. I hop it turns out lovely for you!

• charaj00
    5 years ago
    I understand the need to paint. I am in the process of painting every cheap, thrift store find I can get my hands on right now, and paint transforms beat up, scratched wood and makes it fun. But, that's not the case in your Dining Room. Recover the chair seats. Find new drapes; the sheers are too white, light and airy. Paint the back of the china cabinet or line it with fabric from the chair seats or drapes. Change artwork or the chandelier. The table and chairs are beautiful as is.
  • AerynSun
    5 years ago

Yours is very much an old fashioned 'Americana' style, similar to the European. Look at some pictures of that style online, you'll pick up many ideas.

Also, a designer can be a good idea.

I've also found the designers usually, (not always), gasp in horror if you attempt to do anything yourself... or anything contrary to what they've learnt. Sometimes they are right, sometimes not. However, be aware that they are never going to live with it, and so their opinion doesn't really matter, apart from general advice, if you are lost.

The most important opinion is YOURS. A professional is your adviser, who works with you, not your Ultimate Ruler. Don't go with someone who just says, 'Oooh no! THIS is better', and goes ahead to tell you what THEY like, and gives you no advice about what YOU like.

If what you like is the opposite of every design principle that ever existed - then do that. You do you. Life's too short.

If I had a dollar for every 'designer' room I saw that I thought was absolutely hideous, well, I'd have more money than Bill Gates, that's for sure. There ae many designer rooms that I've ADORED, but they are far outweighed by the other sort. There are also many unliveable designer rooms, simply due to one human's colour sense being different to another's. Make sure you are the ultimate judge.

• senchip
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    AerynSun, I love your point of view and positive attitude!!!
    Even though my mix of designs, colors and styles may shock others, I really love my house and every pc of furniture and decoration ... was in need of help and opinion of experienced people regarding the refinishing our dining room-but as you well said, I am the one living in there and if the yellow is the color of my liking it’s perfect:)
    Have an awesome day!!!
  • AerynSun
    5 years ago

Having thought about it over the past few days, really, I would try to 'marry' what you have.

For instance, just like in gardens, varying shades of green will link different colours together easily. I can see you have house plants already, and you grow them well. I think the one in the living area seems spreading at it's canopy - perhaps a small trim?

If you brought in a few hanging baskets or plant stands with boston ferns, aspidistras, small parlour palms and those kind of plants popular in the 1800's, you would be bringing all the different colours into what I call a 'green embrace'. (Sounds saucy, no?) I would use brass plant pots, the warm shine of greenish yellow brass can also help to mesh different colours, especially with your colours and styles, I think you already have some brass?

This goes for dining, as well as living areas. Then you can introduce the other colours... Scatter the red, blue and yellow around, in ornaments or small cushions. Scour the op-shops, like I know you and I both love to do. The Japanese plate was a total 'score'! And very in keeping with your style. That way your living and dining areas can mesh, without being same-same.

I do like the blue and gold pattern napkins on the dining chairs, but by all means keep the yellow. Have you thought about an extra layer of stain on your dining room furniture to tone down the red a little? A greenish brown stain and varnish would neutralise the red somewhat for an ashier look.

You can always run a small, say 8 inch? strip of velvet, jacquard or brocade fabric, in your room colours, at each side of the sheers in the widows, if you want to keep the light and airy feel. It just needs some grounding with something heavier, but that's ONLY my opinion. I think if you keep repeating colours in fabrics, (which you've done to some degree) and knick knacks, it doesn't matter the mix of styles - the colour repetitions will pull it all together, especially if you add a couple more plants in strategic places.

I'm not shocked at your mix of styles. I love your house. Very inviting. Nothing worse than these places that look like a Swiss clinic where you can have your moles removed. I have a New England/transitional modern/french provincial mix happening in my house with greys and whites, brass, and cream, bits of taupes etc. However, it looks like I live here, has plenty of what I've collected over the years, and it's comfy, like yours. Nothing worse than all these homes that all look alike, or all look like they came from the same magazine, or design class, or renovation TV show. No personality at all.

Your house is great, relax.

• tatts
    5 years ago

Great. You're going to take the wood furniture you have and turn it into what looks like a "Before" picture. That awful fake aging is so cheap looking. And, seriously, shabby chic in 2018? Still?

• AerynSun
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Tatts - please read - senchip has said she wasn't going to do that after all. And if someone likes shabby chic in 2018, so what? They're not doing it at your house. Everybody is allowed to have their own preference, and not everyone is a slave to trends and fashions. And to remark on someone else's taste in that sarcastic manner is the very poorest taste of all. That's more 'cheap looking' than anything.

• tatts
    5 years ago

Thank you, Miss Manners.

• senchip
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    AerynSun you are absolutely right-I have decided not to refinish our dining set, or at least not now. I do like your idea of just staining it to get rid of this shiny red color :)
    I have never been a follower in any aspect of my life. Even though I enjoy being free, open minded, not afraid to be different and judged by others, I have always maintained to be kind to others.
    Some comments, like the one above, are not even bothering me at all. If anything I feel for people who are kinda rude, criticizing others in the manner shown above.
    Positive mind attracts positive energy, positive vibes and happiness :)
    Best,
    Senchi
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

So glad you decided to leave it as is...I would wait until you find a great deal on a new table and chairs that gives you that shabby chic look...I would try to sell that pub height table they really are not the most comfortable and I think your curio would look better not so blocked off.......if you find a light painted table and chairs you could paint the inside of the curio the same light paint color......I think a off white set would look very pretty...Your family room is very nice and inviting..looks so comfy!:)

• senchip
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Home Interiors with Ease, thank you for looking :)
    The china cabinet has mirrored back, so not much I can do there. I might try using the darker stain to remove the shiny red finish.
    This set is approximately 12-14 yrs old with 8 chairs and expendable table.
    It served us well over the years. Do not have problem with the style just that red is something I got very tired of.
    I have been planning on changing the seats fabric but haven’t found it yet.
    Thanks again for your help!
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Did some thinking and would you consider chalk painting it black? Wallpaper the inside of cabinet....and cover seats in a black and white houndstooth or plaid tweed with red in it...I think it might look pretty sharp! You need a change after 14 years!!!

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

The wallpaper could be simply taped with 2 sided tape onto the mirrors...

• senchip
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Home Interiors I love how this black china cabinet looks! And the fabric is awesome!
    Do you think it would go with my Persian rugs and this bluish rug underneath the table?
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

I think it would look awesome! You could even just do a neutral tweed on the cushions... fabric can be picked later even a red print would look great.....it will be fun to look around and see what fabric you want to add.....navy blue, black and red is great together...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

A pretty light background wallpaper would be a sweet background for all your blue and white pottery plates and vases...

• senchip
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Home Interiors with Ease still working on the dining furniture.. looking for a fabric and wall paper as well.. it’s gotta be a project done when it’s nice and sunny outside—these days rainy and cloudy.
    I have added some curtains to the living room existing white linen curtains. Love it! To me it made a big difference. Now will try diy curtain hold backs.. I also added an EDISON 1910s record player and records!! Need to figure out how to play these records.
    Have a great weekend
  • senchip
    Original Author
    5 years ago
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    5 years ago

Very nice..any chance you could leave the trunk on that wall centered and add more art to fill the space above it? I think it would look very nice...also can the record player ( by the way it is fabulous!) be placed in an empty corner angled into the space. It just seems to be put if place next to the trunk..or a new place for the trunk. Love your white sheers but would suggest to just leave then hanging straight no need for tiebacks/holdbacks it looks very nice as is...just a thought...looking forward to seeing your dining room when your project is finished!:))

• senchip
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You are absolutely right about the player!! We just got it and put it inside the house - the closest spot next to the door lol the trunk was centered and needed to move it a little to make some temporary space for the player.
    I though to add the tie backs like some kind of a simple rope diy.. will see
    Thank you for your comments!! :)
  • laurkade
    5 years ago
    I am inclined to agree with your daughter. I think if you rearranged a few pieces, you could achieve a more cohesive look.
    Turn table even with back window. Move buffet in front of window. Move hutch on wall as enter dining area. Place beige chairs in LR at angle on each side of doors. This will give you open area to sofa. Move ladder bookshelf behind one of chairs. Only need one lamp on table between two yellowish looking chairs. Clean our corner behind one chair.
  • A.Ronnie Burroughs
    5 years ago
    Susan coker
  • senchip
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Finally decided to refinish it!

some additional items will be added-will update soon

mirror instead of the painting

rods will go higher

linen curtains will be hung

chandelier will be added

hmmm what else? Suggestions?

I think small corner table will be gone

thanks for your ideas

• senchip
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• senchip
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Little changes to our living room

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    4 years ago

Hi Senchip! So happy to see you are back and ready to go:)

senchip thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • senchip
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you so much!! I’ve finally did it absolutely in love with the results! Have a great day!!

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Nice light and creamy look !?

The chandelier alone could make a big difference instead - are current curtains ok - neat and trim?

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Not typical - but amber might resemble some items there - and chrome-y 'bells' kinda cute.

Audrey Indoor Chandelier · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/audrey-4-light-drum-shade-chandelier-chrome-brown-prvw-vr~120633376

• senchip thanked everdebz
  • senchip
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you Everdebz!! I love the chandelie!! Unfortunately it’s been sold out but will try to find something sim.. regards

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Little shapes remind me of small table's lower detailing. Small? brushed nickel

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/georgiana-20-inch-wide-white-shade-chandelier__6d272.html

• everdebz
    4 years ago
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz