Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
commonkadupul

Help with great room/kitchen layout desperately needed...

Krista S.
6 years ago

Wonderful people of Houzz, we have been stuck on our remodel design for weeks and could really use help getting unstuck. I am out of my depth and my brain is fried on this design and still no progress. We are adding on to a 1972 ranch, removing a central wall and section of roof to create a great room with a moderately vaulted ceiling. Here are the things we want to include in the space and our design goals:

• Kitchen
  • Living "room"
  • Dining "room" really just a 44" x 10' table somewhere in the great room with room to expand for large parties (my mom thinks this is crazy, but as a family of 5 if we invite another family over for dinner we need a table for 10, preferably without dealing with leaves)
  • I'd really like a round family table for everyday, maybe 54" (are the duplicate tables too much redundancy? We use our current table for everything, daily meals, homework, crafts, board games, puzzles, agonizing over great room design....) It would be so nice to have space so that some of that can just stay put and we can still eat at a table!
  • Take best advantage of lovely views mainly to the front but also to the back. This is our "place in the country" and we'd like to see all the green we can. Also we're in Oregon so taking advantage of daylight at every opportunity is a must.
  • Very functional kitchen with maximized counter space, really like open kitchens with minimal upper cabinets. Husband wants kitchen oriented mainly to the front of the house so he can see out the big windows while he's cooking. We'll get kitchen design help as we progress but for now very stuck on basic room layout.

The pink lines in the drawing are traffic patterns. Note that the pantry on the left (door to be determined) dictates the location of the kitchen to an extent. Also that the addition at the back of the house at 12' could be 8' or 10' or maybe 14' instead, though my designer will scowl at me if we go that big and we risk things feeling barn like at some point. Designer is really more of a CAD/engineering/permits guy, not so much on the design part.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions!!

Comments (7)