Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckymaria

Bungalow redesign advice needed

beckymaria
6 years ago

Hi,

We are looking to make an offer on a 4 bed detached bungalow with 1/2 acre of land but if we were to purchase the property we would be looking to change the layout and build a diner/family room extension on the back. The current floorplan is below:

The main issues that we have with the current floorplan are:

1. Bedroom 4 has no window and is making the hallway very narrow

2. We would like the kitchen to be at the back of the property and to be extended to make a kitchen/diner/family room

3. There is currently no family bathroom, however there is a smaller shower room and toilet

4. The bedroom at the back is where we would like the kitchen to be

5. There is a conservatory at the front of the house which we would be looking to convert to a brick extension at some point in the future as an extension on the living room (we are happy with the private living room being away from the rest of the family space)

Ideally we would want to do as little wall knocking down as possible by swapping the use of some rooms and we are open to moving the front/back door.

Ideas so far are:

1. changing kitchen to a master bedroom

2. changing utility to a bedroom

3. changing master bedroom and ensuite to kitchen/utility area and extending out

Just struggling to find a place for family bathroom

Any advice and other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments (18)

• Emily
    6 years ago
    It is an unusual layout. For me and probably others to get their heads around it I think we need to know where north is and have pics of all sides of the property??
    beckymaria thanked Emily
  • beckymaria
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Emily, I have attached a couple of photos of the property. It is an unusual layout with the conservatory being at the front(south) of the bungalow and the potential extension at the rear(north)

Along the side shown in the first picture there is a wide drive way the whole length of the bungalow and the other side there is a hedge and the bungalow goes right up to this boundary so there are no windows on that side

hope that helps to make sense of the layout a but

thanks

Becky

• Emily
    6 years ago
    I am not suggesting you do any of this but just looking at what you have I think I would want to live in this property this way: Entrance between sitting and beds 2 and 3. Living area is beds 2 and 3 (incl ensuites). Sitting room becomes kitchen and conservatory is upgraded and becomes dining. And then I’d figure out how to configure bedrooms in what remains and extend as necessary to accommodate that.
    Like I said, not advising you do this I’m just putting my gut feelings on how I’d like to live in that property.
    beckymaria thanked Emily
  • dianahartaboyne
    6 years ago
    Can I ask how many bedrooms you need and how many bathrooms? And why would you put the proposed extension on the north facing side instead of knocking down the conservatory and building a large extension there on the south facing side?
  • beckymaria
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you Emily, all ideas are helpful

• beckymaria
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We would ideally want to retain 4 bedrooms and one family bathroom with at least one en suite. The reason for the proposed extension being north facing is that we have a young family and want the family/kitchen area to ideally be leading out onto the back garden which is north facing. Fortunately, because this is a bungalow and the garden at the back is so large, the back garden isn’t completely shaded. Many thanks

• Emily
    6 years ago
    Well I always think people putting ideas out there sometimes start trains of thought that end up really good even if they get sidetracked or go round in circles for a while.
    Anyhow, good luck :)
  • dianahartaboyne
    6 years ago
    I agree swapping the kitchen and master bedroom around then make the utility into an ensuite and the shower room into the utility.
    Make the main entrance at the side of the conservatory and knock the separate loo and shower room through, incorporate that bit of empty space next to it to make a family bathroom.
    beckymaria thanked dianahartaboyne
  • beckymaria
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, really good to get some fresh ideas

• Emily
    6 years ago
    My favourite area of this property is the bed 2 and 3. And if you used this as your kitchen/day area then you’d have a nice south facing aspect but you could have access for kids to the more secure back garden.
    Think there is good potential with your property just needs careful consideration to make the most of it. :)
    beckymaria thanked Emily
  • A B
    6 years ago

Is there any option to knock it down and rebuild??

beckymaria thanked A B
  • beckymaria
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, that’s really given us some food for thought. Thank you Jonathan

Jen - I don’t think knocking it down is an option

• bookworm987
    6 years ago

How about extending at the front opposite the conservatory? You could create a new driveway with parking space near the new front door. The extension here would make it easy to access the conservatory/sitting room without losing too much of the old sitting room which would now be a bedroom. And I think its nice to be able to see the driveway from your kitchen.

The kitchen/living/diner would have tons of space for storage- you could probably include a walk-in pantry.

The main problems with this are that:

you've lost your walk-in wardrobe from the master bedroom to access the old utility/new bedroom- you'd need new wardrobes

the family bathroom has no window- maybe a roof light would work?

Not sure if this helps!

• PRO
    More Architecture
    6 years ago

Hi, before we could give advice on layouts we would need to know where north is on the site so we can best orient rooms to maximise solar gains. Could you tell me where north is on the floor plan you provided?

beckymaria thanked More Architecture
  • Emily
    6 years ago
    The poster said the conservatory is on the front of the house and the front faces south. :)
    beckymaria thanked Emily
  • beckymaria
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes as Emily said, it’s a bit of a strange layout but the conservatory is at the south of the bungalow which is also the front of the house. The back garden is north facing and the sun terrace is at the west of the bungalow. Thank you

• beckymaria
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just to add, if we were going to add an extension at the rear for the kitchen then we would plan to have bifold doors or similar most the way around to make the most of the light and potentially a velux in the roof