Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lladuke27

Need kitchen backsplash help

Lori LaDuke
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am in the midst of a complete renovation on my small kitchen and adjoining family room in my Cape style home. I will be installing white shaker cabinets and light hardwood floors. Countertop is Hanstone Italian Waves Quartz. I am struggling with a backsplash.

I was thinking of a gray backsplash so the kitchen is not entirely white. The adjoining family room walls will be gray so i picked a gray subway. I want something classic, clean and timeless. I was debating adding a mosaic strip as an accent so it’s not too boring, but I am not sure.

This is what I have picked so far.

Thoughts? Part of me feels like the subway looks like it belongs in a bathroom? Should I go non-glossy? Clearly I need help.

The kitchen is not big so I want to keep it simple. Appreciate any help and suggestions you can give me.

Comments (14)

• Lori LaDuke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks. I agree with you. Does that gray work or would you do something different? And white grout or gray?

• Emily Jowers
    6 years ago

Mosaics will not give a timeless look. I like the gray tile, though it looks like it has some purple undertones. Could just be my monitor. I think a light grey grout would be nice. Not stark white, but not matching either, so there is a little contrast..

• chloebud
    6 years ago

My preference is the gray tile and non-glossy.

• wildcatblue
    6 years ago
    Love the gray glass subway tile you selected. Timeless and classic! My suggestion would be to use a grout close to the same color as the tile. Don't use white grout. It's difficult to keep clean and will stand out but not in a good way. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

i'm going to post a few other selections so you can see some different options. you aren't relegated to white or gray subway. there are plenty of other timeless options.

as for the glass accents,,,,No.

if you want something a little different, use a longer tile in a herringbone patter. white w/dark grout, gray w/gray grout, dark gray, Blue, aqua, pale green,,,they all go w/your decor

even a carrara sheet mosaic in a chevron or herringbone looks nice

white marble chevron w/carrara accents. this is on a sheet. still has your white/gray,,,just different.

and here is your countertop w/gray 3x6 subway tiles. sorry, but this and the white are so overdone,,,,,everyone has this combo. Although, this one is nice because it has the wood shelving, gold hardware and pendant lighting to offer some variety.

Lori LaDuke thanked Beth H. :
  • Lori LaDuke
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I do like a herringbone pattern. I had liked this tile in silver as well because I liked the handcrafted element to it, but worried it was too big? This one definitely would not work for a herringbone pattern though.

I also like the Carrara tiles...I originally was thinking Carrara tile backsplash and light gray counters, but I couldn’t find I counter I loved. I really like the Hanstone quartz...just need to find the perfect backsplash.

Guess I will go back to the tile store this weekend. And I may need to go to another store and see different options. I am feeling overwhelmed by the details

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

Wait until the countertops are in before you make your final decision. Seeing the big picture can change your opinion.

I agree with Beth that the combo you pictured is becoming pretty common and it would be nice do something just a bit different.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

the studio 3 one is a nice change. It's similar to this one,,,3x12, smoke. DiscountGlasstilestore

grab a few samples of what you like, bring them home and put them against your countertop once it's in.

this is a crackle glaze in Silver, from Encore Ceramics. they make beautiful tiles

Lori LaDuke thanked Beth H. :
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

You can mix them subway and glass tiles .

• hiccup4
    6 years ago

No to the accent tile. Keep it simple..it will be beautiful.

Lori LaDuke thanked hiccup4
  • PRO
    NewLinkz
    6 years ago

You can get a high-quality, modern look for a lot less than
    you might think with adhesive tiles that normally come in 1 sq. ft. sizes that
    you can cut down to fit. From mosaic tile, glass, stone, gel, skinny to stone –
    check out some ideas here. It’s unique, less expensive because it’s easy to
    install yourself and come in an array of styles https://www.houzz.com/projects/1262017/kitchen-backsplash

• Nancy Scharrenbroich
    3 years ago

what paint color for walls did you go with?

• Michelle Paulus
    3 years ago

What color did you decide on? I’m going with the same quartz. I’d love to see pictures.