lebayless

Mystery Volunteer - Miniature Lily or Crocus?

lebayless
April 15, 2018

This flower volunteered in my yard when the hyacinths and daffodils were up. It looks like maybe a lily of some kind, 6 inches tall, leaves radiating at base, reddish stem, one head of 3 dark pink blossoms, thick and kind of waxy, each blossom has 6 long and thin petals with whitish margins, petals curl back from the stamens. The leaves look kind of like daffodil leaves but smaller.

It is neither lily nor crocus :-) It could possibly be an errant hyacinth bulb with poor flower formation but the foliage doesn't look right, even if stressed. I believe it to be a pink flowered form of Hyacinthoides hispanica, aka Spanish bluebells.

• Embothrium

Definitely the flowers of a hyacinth - surely they have the characteristic fragrance, which original poster could use for confirmation.

I've never seen Hyacinthoides in that shade of pink, including darker striping.

• Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)

I also vote for wonky hyacinth.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, that's definitely a runty hyacinth. Not a pink Spanish bluebell. A sniff would prove it to lebayless.