Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yamani05

Mediterranean Landscape Ideas for my Spanish Colonial Revival

DR
6 years ago
Hello Houzzers! Las year, I posted here asking for advice on exterior paint. Finally, I've decided to go with pure white stucco and sage green trim. Also, I removed the bulky foam frames around the windows and had them replaced with lower profile wood. The pics here show the prep work completed (the green trim is primer). The paint job will start after hardscape is complete. I need advice regarding hardscape and landscape. My plan and questions are below.

FRONT YARD HARDSCAPE:
1) Close entry of driveway and demo the existing brick path to house. Create a new entry about 5' wide centered along short wall in front of house. Install 2 steps into yard with new approx 3.5-4' H columns at either end and install a nice double door wrought iron or wood gate.

2) Steps would be Lincoln tile and continue to form a walkway to the house. The small patio area to the right of front door of house will be tiled and the existing black fence will be replaced with stucco wall and a nice wrought iron gate.

3) Wall fountain on the wall to the right of steps leading to house (next to the existing entry off driveway).

FRONT YARD LANDSCAPE:
1) I was thinking about podocarpus hedges along the perimeter of the short stucco wall (approx height of the two new 3.5-4'H columns to be created). I don't know if I want this because it may appear unfriendly to my neighbors. Also I don't want to hide the house and I think it's safer when people can see the front door. Alternatively, I could use plants and shrubs that will not grow to much higher than the stucco wall and perhaps something that hangs over the wall in certain areas. NEED GUIDANCE HERE.

2) I want 4-5 cypress planted along the left stucco wall where you see the two story building next door.

3) Thinking a fruitless multi branch olive trees in the yard one both sides of the new Lincoln tile path a couple feet in from the new entry. WHAT ARE HIID UNDER PLANTINGS FOR OKIVE TREES GERE?

4) Thinking a topiary cypress in terra cotta pots on each side of the big window. YAY or NAY? What plants would work between the topiary underneath the window?

5) I like Bougainville and would like to plant one to train to grow around the arch leading to front door of house and/or elsewhere?

6) I'm going for a Mediterranean look. Would sod work everywhere else in the yard? I really love the look of well manicured green lawn. I see a lot of Mediterranean landscape use DG and pea gravel. I hate DG.

BACK YARD HARDSCAPE:
1) Extend patio deck approx 2feet forward (keep steps where they are) and install Lincoln tile on patio and steps.

2) Install tiered water fountain in center of yard.

3) At some point later, I'd like to install Lincoln tile where there's currently concrete near back wall but, for cost savings, I think I'll keep the cement for now and use outdoor rugs in that area. Add a wood pergola over this area and plant Bougainville or other creeping vine to grow on top.

BACKYARD LANDSCAPE:
1) Podocarpus along the perimeter for privacy.

2) Plant a mature tree in the area to the right of photo near garage. Unfortunately, I had a big mature Chinese Elm removed from this spot and I greatly regret it. NEED ADVICE ON TYPE OF TREE and COMPANION PLANTS UNDERNEATH.

3) I'm not sure whether to use sod or something else in the space between the deck and cement in the back?

4) What else do I need to make this a Mediterranean garden sanctuary that is suitable for entertaining?

See pics attached.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ADVICE!!

Comments (47)

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Adding more photos since I was able to attach only 4 to original post.t
  • DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here is a pic of the window frames that I replaced with wood. Such a big difference.
  • DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Here are pics of the tiered fountain for backyard, topiary trees that I like for both sides of big window in front yard, and Lincoln tile (12x12) (the red one in the center... the lighter one is Saltillo).
  • everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I planted fragrant alyssum under our orange tree. It died cause guess what? I didn't water it enough during drought. I read that alyssum can help with pollination.

https://modernfarmer.com/2017/06/plants-to-attract-pollinators-by-region/

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Idk the mature sizes of boug. or olive, but I wouldn't crowd your pretty arched areas [in future years].... I saw nice boug. at entry area, but it was the only thing the front of house had going for it [a good accent]. I think yours has much more - might boug. become unruly? or does pruning really keep it tidy, again idk.

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Is side the entry arch -- maybe what shopping mall containers have: a well-designed planting of tall, also medium height, and trailing around the edges.... and try in the corner [to right of entry arch] ? Alyssum smells so nice....

• everdebz
    6 years ago

Was in my newspaper: "soap aloe" - Foliage color depends on light intensity; pinkish red in hot sun and bluish-green in part shade. Showy flowers atop of a tall, multi-branched stalk can range from bright red to gold. A drought tolerant selection for rock gardens or containers. Evergreen.
    Partial to full sun.
    Once established, water occasionally; more in extreme heat or containers.
    Average Landscape Size:
    Foliage reaches 18 in. tall, 24 in. wide; bloom spikes reach 36 in. tall.
    Avoid planting it where it will get hot, reflected heat. In desert areas, avoid full sun, or its leaves may yellow and shrivel.

DR thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

Because of its small size and ability to handle hot, reflected sun and shade, this aloe is a great choice for planting in entryways or narrow strips next to sidewalks.
    Anchor the corner of the landscape, such as next to a driveway, with a group of three ‘Blue Elf’ aloes planted around a boulder.
    It’s hard to find a place where ‘Blue Elf’ aloe doesn’t work — it’s perfect in courtyards and raised planters, and underneath trees that provide filtered shade. The only place it does not do well is where there is heavy, wet soil.

Blue Elf Aloe · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/blue-elf-aloe-landscape-phvw-vp~25819511[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/blue-elf-aloe-landscape-phvw-vp~25819511)

DR thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

From a houzz article: "In mild-winter climates, grow citruses like these dwarf tangerines in containers for a colorful winter accent. In summer, plant trailing flowers, such as ground morning glory and calibrachoasto cascade over the edge."

Grace Design Associates · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/magazine/plant-these-garden-favorites-for-a-taste-of-the-mediterranean-stsetivw-vs~78310826[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/plant-these-garden-favorites-for-a-taste-of-the-mediterranean-stsetivw-vs~78310826)

DR thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

This is gorgeous!! Gardens by Gabriel, Inc.: Leucospermums are pretty easy given a few things: Low nutrient soil, and excellent drainage. They prefer to be in sandy soils, on a raised mound, or large container. They don't like fertilizer, and do well with infrequent watering after they get established 1-2yrs. They need strong air circulation as they are from coastal zones, so stagnant areas aren't recommended. Most gardeners kill them from overwatering, or poor drainage. After establishment they are like our California native plants in that they want to be left alone to there own devices.

Evening Glow · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/photos/evening-glow-mediterranean-landscape-san-luis-obispo-phvw-vp~3587756[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/evening-glow-mediterranean-landscape-san-luis-obispo-phvw-vp~3587756)

DR thanked everdebz
  • DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much @everdebz and @groveraxle!!

Anyone else??
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

The only think I got is this: how can we make the perimeter wall connect design wise with the house? Right now there is a real disconnect going on.

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @visualizemaven, I don't understand your comment/question. Please clarify so that I may do the same. Thanks!!
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

To my eye, see how there is architectural interest going on with the body of the house: archways, cut out balcony railings, tile roof, black iron fencing. Then we have the stark angular white perimeter wall.

Maybe paint the wall the same color as the balcony or top with a small iron railing detail or cover with tile, or ???

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @visualizemaven With all of the questions in my original post, Ihadn't even considered the issue you just posed! I guess that's why you're visualize maven! So, let me think about this ... I'm thinking painting the short wall the color of the green trim could be interesting. @groveraxle, Might you be able to do that on your computer and post an image?

@visializmaven In the meantime, I know I asked a lot on my original post but was wondering what you think about my questions/plans.

Thank you!!
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Hey DR - lol! We all have our different strengths don't we? ;)

Yes, you did ask a lot of questions but I will take a stab at it -

You have made significant improvements and I know you struggled with selecting colors which you are happy with (I was on prior thread as well.) Now, I would encourage you to edit and simplify. Work on creating spaces that breathe.

Your curb appeal is a bit busy and overwhelming, IMHO. Try and think about what you want the focal point of your home to be from the curb appeal standpoint. Make something the STAR and then work off of that concept.

Have you considered removing the entire wall (which you call the front patio to the right of the entry) so that area is opened up? As it exists now it is physically and visually chopping up the small area and detracting from the interest of the arches around front entry. Also, the way the wall in question is cutting that window in half is not desirable - know what I mean? If that wall was gone, then you could draw the eye to the entry with a new walkway and landscaping.

Your idea to train a Bougainvillea plant to arch around the entry arches is brilliant. Way to create your focal point!

I like the idea of the water fountain in center of front yard (centered off the oval arch).

Re: rear yard - I would stain all the cinder block the rust color - then install trellises so that vines can grow along those two walls. The stark white of the garage wall to the right works so just leave that. Then plant cypress or taller trees in all your large pots and move them around as you desire. Everdebz gave awesome suggestions for plantings.

yes to covering entire back patio with Lincoln tiles and add a pergola over that raised patio or 4 post to hang a large sail canopy. Remove all the existing pavers and replace with grass. I'm craving white sails strung across your back yard to complete the look!

Hope this helps- won't be back for hours. Take care.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

IMO the wall is a bit too stark and needs to be softened with a cascading bougainvillea running on the top. It can be secured with a cable line and trimmed to keep it in check.

Here are some examples of other villas with their landscaping. Not too formal.

• PRO
    Soothing Company
    6 years ago

We love the idea of adding water fountains to your landscape. We offer hundreds of different styles and options on our website.

https://www.soothingwalls.com/pages/outdoor

We also offer free shipping and color samples for our fountains.

Campania Estancia Fountain · More Info

X3 Garden Fountain · More Info

Belvedere Garden Fountain · More Info

Cortile Garden Fountain · More Info

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @VisualizeMaven, I do see what you mean about the wall to the right but I do I also like the idea of having that be a "private" patio area.

I think Bougainville around the arches with a water fountain can be my focal points in the front. Where would you recommend placing the fountain? I don't understand what you meant by centered off of the arch. Sorry if I'm being dense.

Would it be too much to put some seating near the fountain in the front yard?

Do two olive trees work in front yard -- one on either side of the new pathway?

Would grass work in the front or should I consider other ground covers and maybe some pea gravel?

For the backyard, I was going to have tall podocarpus planted along the cinder block wall so it'll be hidden.

I like the idea of cypress planted in the terra cotta pots. Should I not plant a tree near garage where you see soil to the right in the pic that I posted.

@BeverlyFLADeziner Thank you for you comments and the lovely inspiration photos! Yes, I want to plant something to hang over the short wall or pop out some concrete in front of the wall and plant some type of vine to grow up. Thoughts??
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

Centered on the arch would put the fountain here.

Be careful where you put your bougainvillea. It has monster spines

I also think your landscape is screaming for a bit of cobalt blue, in planters, the fountain, somewhere.

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @soothingcompany, are you affiliated with fountainpros.com by any chance?
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

Yes, groveraxale that's where I was thinking of placing the fountain as well! I love how you opened up the front patio area to the right! See how much better everything looks now?

DR: I think you have a Private patio area on your "front porch" so just let go of the closed off area to the right -

Keep this as your Mantra: Let things Breathe. Let things Breathe. Let things Breathe.

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @visualizeman , there are steps in that closed off area the lead to the front door landing that's not shown in @groveraxle's image. A pic is attached above but I'm attaching again here for convenience.

Please give me suggestions for ground cover for front yard?

Also should the enter front be tiled? I was going to do a tiled pathway from the newly created entry in perimeter wall to the front door. Not sure what to install on either side of it... more tile, grass, pea gravel, other??
  • groveraxle
    6 years ago

DR, those steps don't mean you have to leave the area walled off. Besides, I thought you were eliminating that gate from the street.

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes the entry gate off the driveway will be eliminated. Still need to think about demo-ing the wall to open up the space. I agree it would allow the front to breathe a bit more.
  • visualizemaven
    6 years ago

I would love to see the gate and the wall removed from that area - it's reminding me of a dog pen (no offense) and that is a bad thing, agree? ;) (thanks for re posting that pic DR!) Also, do you plan on actually using those side steps up to the front door? If so, you could just create a landing there all the way to the driveway using your Lincoln tiles (meaning fill in the existing area minus the wall and gate).

If you do not intend to use the side steps (since two sets of steps is a bit redundant) you could remove them and add a decorative railing to close off the arch. Do you know what I mean? Then that would leave you with an area to plant a flower garden!

You say you LOVE grass so why not do the front yard in grass?

• DR
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @visualizemaven, if I eliminated the wall to open up the dog pen (LOL), do you recommend eliminating the black gate off the driveway and extending the short perimeter wall to avoid that area spilling out into the driveway?

Also, what do you think about...
    - A sitting area in that newly opened up area? Should I create an area for the furniture using the lincoln tile with grass in between or perhaps pea gravel and no tile?
    - An olive tree on the same side of yard closer to the short front wall?
    - A water feature in front of the arched window slightly off center of window?

Also, what would be a good tree to plant in the backyard next to the garage?

Thank you!!!!
    Thank you!
  • visualizemaven
    5 years ago

hey DR - As groveraxle showed us, the area will be much improved if the black gate and the entire wall is removed. There will be no feeling of an area spilling out.

I think you should not introduce pea gravel. Stick with the Lincoln tile and yes, grass in between might be quite lovely! Great idea. Try and limit what materials you use so that things do not become too busy visually. Try to keep things simple. You can always add interest down the road with pots, plants, etc. should you feel the need to.

After you create a patio in the newly opened up area to the right of the entry, you can always place a little chair and tables there. Live with it a while and then take it away if you decide it is too busy or too much visually or not necessary as you don't really hang out there anyway..........

Yes, Groveralxle had pictured the water feature just where it should go.

I will leave it to others to recommend what planting would be best where............

Your welcome DR, my pleasure. Just take the process step by step and resist the urge to over do.

Best.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    Look at photos on HOUZZ for "Mediterranean exteriors".... most of them have landscape shown as well.
  • DR
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Houzzers! Hardscape work is underway! Question: What are your thoughts on the deck in backyard... install the Lincoln tile around the base or stucco and paint to match the house exterior color??

• visualizemaven
    5 years ago

Just catching this now..............what did you end up doing?

• DR
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi! I'm going to match stucco and paint same color as house. Not sure about exterior color combo -- either white w/ sage-y green trim or yellow-ish tan with sage-y green trim (see inspiration photo attached for latter combo). Also, here are a couple of pics of the hardscape in progress. Thoughts?

• DR
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The other photos referenced in my last message didn't attach. Here they are... small patio area to the right of front door and inspiration photo for the tan/sage green color combo.

• visualizemaven
    5 years ago

Sounds and looking good!

I think the green trim will make more sense for the style of your home if the body of the house is tan/sage green colors.

• DR
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Finally, my project is pretty much complete but for some furniture for the deck (and possibly a dinning table that seats 6 not 4). I realized that the inspiration photos that really resonated with me were structured, symmetrical, and incorporated few colors and not a lot of varieties of plants and trees. I can only post 4 pics at a time. Here are pics of the backyard. I am having two pergolas designed — one for over the deck off the house and one over the lounge and dining area. I’ll attach pics of the front yard in a separate note.

• DR
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here's a pic of the front yard.

• Diane
    5 years ago
    Beautiful home, amazing job. I have house envy.
  • DR
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    More pics of front yard. I realize my “part 2” post from late last night was incomplete.

I’d love to replace the exterior door with a beautiful wood door but, after pricing a few, I may have to have this one stripped and painted (the same green as the trim on the house) for now.
  • DR
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Finally, once the Christmas decorations are removed, I want to create this look on the balcony. I’m thinking a combination of scaevola, vinca minor, creeping jenny, ivy geranium, nemesia and verbena tapien.
  • Angel Florek
    5 years ago

Wow. Your project really came out nice. Saw the threads about paint color before. Good design choices. Simple approach with less is more really made a huge impact here.

• wendito123
    4 years ago

What color paint did you use for your stucco??

• DR
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry for the late reply. I’m just seeing your question re paint color for stucco. I don’t remember. Ugh!

• studiojr
    3 years ago

Also curious about the trim color...

• DR
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Artichoke

• studiojr
    3 years ago

Thanks!!

• HU-810720144
    last year

Painted exterior Swiss Coffee with Oxford Brown Trim Kelly Moore. Mediterranean home with Terra Cotta tile roof.