Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
createlove

Dining Room: From Drab to Fab: How?

createlove
10 years ago
We've just moved into a new house and I'd like to make this table work with my new traditional/Ralph Lauren(ie) home. Do you think that's possible? The rest of the house has lots of nailhead trim, mercury glass, suitcase endtables, and a mix of woods and metallics, etc. This room is in my front entryway and I want it to be a big WOW. I would love to see two big upholstered host chairs and maybe a bench. I saw some bitter chocolate mohair chairs with nice nailheads in the most recent Williams-Sonoma catalog, but they were thousands of dollars each. I'm more of a Ballard Designs girl, in terms of style and budget. I'm not afraid of color or pattern, I just don't know where to begin?! I know I'll need a rug, light fixture, hutch/buffet, etc. I would appreciate any help!

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Chap De Laine's Interiors
    10 years ago
    Beautiful dining set! Definitely add a hutch on the big wall, a server and lamps and/or candles on the door wall and color on the walls, please.
  • Nicole Lee
    10 years ago
    I would definitely change the chairs to the bitter chocolate you were wanting and a bench as well. buffet in the back with a large mirror- or even two mirrors side by side. what color did you want the theme of the room to be? would you consider changing the light fixture as well?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I bought leather Parsons Chairs from Caarrington Direct in NC. They have a website. I thought the quality was great. Photograpy or wall art is in order here!! Choose photography of a place you love or dream to go or beautiful flowers. I would have it printed on a large canvas. Stop by my photography shop on Etsy.com, nancyhehmann. I can customize anything and have sometimes other photography in my files you might like to see if I know what you are interested in. Etsy.com has a search engine so just input what you like in the search engine. Their are thousands of shops.

If you want a painting by a famous artist, Park West Gallery has an online site and you can browse on their.
    They even handle art by an American Icon, Peter Max. But of course the art is a bit more pricey -might go up in value. You can even go on a cruise and attend an art show - Park West is on several of the large cruise lines. Princess also has art shows but handles their own art galleries (with famous Artists.)
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks ladies! I hand't thought about painting the walls, but you're right, that would definitely help add some drama. And, yes, the builder grade light fixture must go. Thanks for the tips!
  • PRO
    Alpha Interiors
    10 years ago
    It looks like this might be a separate room so depending on what color you paint the walls if not to dark paint the tray ceiling the same color as the wall. If it is a dark color go a couple of shades lighter on the ceiling. You might think of putting a chair in the corner of next to the hutch or buffet table you choose. Also some draperies would look excellent on the windows.
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    "Paint the tray ceiling the same color as the wall" - You're absolutely right, that would be a great way to add drama with the white crown molding. Thank you!
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    Do the upholstered Host Chairs as that is a hip look.
    Keep the chairs & have cushions made. Buy a rug with the savings!

I don't think you have room for a hutch & a buffet, so unless you have some gorgeous china that you're aching to display, get a buffet. Whatever art you get to go over it - please be sure it is large enough. That is one of the most common mistakes I see.

Couple of lamps & some drapes would also add warmth & character to the space.
    createlove thanked felixgrantham
  • Chandani
    10 years ago
    I think the traditional elements of your room and furniture could certainly work with what you are trying to achieve. When I think of LR style, a few different images come to mind - the warm masculine look (burgundy, hunter green, tan, leather), the fresh martha's vineyard look ( white, cream, blue, red, linen, wood) and the more paired down earthy west bank look. Could you provide some pics of what you are thinking. I think wallpaper and paint colour can quickly create the look. Consider also paining the ceiling and pay attention to the small details, even curtain rods.
    createlove thanked Chandani
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    10 years ago
    It will involve some spending;) Right now it's a bit minimalist country:)
    Paint the Ceiling Tray Darker Color, Like a Bronze with Metallic or do the Interior of the tray in an antique mirror, trim, crown, base a creamy white, like Linen White,

Hefty Wall Sconces, beautiful Leather or Metal Trim Console with fantastic Art Above, A Big Table with Upholstered Chairs, White Linen Curtains, Black Rod, Beautiful Rug....Chandelier

You could stay in a bronze, cream color scheme, or introduce a color, a blue or a gold..or an eggplant

Have Fun:))

[houzz=
    Cabinet no. Two Seventy · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Bond Dining Table · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Tomdixon Wingback ChairBlack Legs# · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Freeport Arm Chair · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Arteriors Auburn Antique Brass Chandelier · More Info
    ]

[houzz=
    Brass Trolley or Tea Cart · More Info
    ]
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, Chandani, the study across from the dining room is the masculine look, but I want something more fun and dramatic for the dining!
  • PRO
    Alpha Interiors
    10 years ago
    Your welcome.. Glad to help
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Photos help big time! This was the inspiration for the rest of the home. I should have attached this to begin with. LOVE IT! This should help.
  • Laura
    10 years ago
    Tray ceilings with multiple colors are becoming dated, please only use one color for the ceiling! I'd use a pale blue, possibly SW Rainwashed, for the ceiling, and a deeper blue for the walls. As far as changing the seating, I agree that upholstered head chairs would be nice with that pretty table, but there's no need to change the side chairs out for an uncomfortable bench. Add cushions to change up the look. No matter what you do with chairs, that table (Ballard, right?) will have a French country feel with the planked top and cabriole legs. Embrace it, and go for a luxe French country room, it will blend just fine with the rest of your house.
    And as far as colors, while I recommended what I'd do, you should definitely take into account the rest of the colors that are visible in this space, and make sure you have a nice flow. An accessory from your living room should be comfortable color-wise in this room as well.
    createlove thanked Laura
  • cmbruno8
    10 years ago
    I have found two dining rooms that might inspire you
    createlove thanked cmbruno8
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Laura, you're onto something. That was what I was trying to figure out in my brain. Do you have a photo that can point me in the right direction? I think LUXE FRENCH COUNTRY is the answer I've been looking for, with RL influences.
  • Laura
    10 years ago
    Off the top of my head I can't think of a picture, but the blog Cote De Texas is a great place to start looking. That's pretty much her style, and her taste is impeccable.
    createlove thanked Laura
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Well, I see while I've been building furniture and upholstering chairs, I've missed a lot. Haven't changed out the chandy, but I found a really cool sideboard. Take a look.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Some art and a selection of three chandeliers from traditional to modern:
    createlove thanked groveraxle
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I LOVE the one in the top left. Where did you find that?
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Didn't you say you were a Ballard Designs kind of girl? You'll love the price too: http://www.ballarddesigns.com/petite-claire-chandelier/lighting/chandeliers/10076?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=6
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Omigosh! I should have known. How funny. Thank you!!!
  • jmillz
    10 years ago
    I would consider something textured on the wall like a linen or grass cloth wall paper. Everyone who sees it will want to touch it! Also your chandelier is pretty, but maybe you could move it elsewhere and add something with more bling (like crystal) to add that wow factor. Put complimentary pair of lamps or sconces on a buffet with large old french mirror hung behind it. i think adding at least one antique item to modern room adds a bit of character and authenticity, but especially important if the look it to be french country. I do love the current dining set, just lovely.
    createlove thanked jmillz
  • createlove
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think you're right! I like the texture in the top right photo. Maybe just for the back wall and I could paint the rest in a "matching" color. I like the gray, and, yes, the light fixture has got to go. I love the crystal and shades combo. Thank you!
  • PRO
    ZS Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Groveraxle what program did you use to create the different views?
  • Lkristine
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Here is a basic example. I would definitely reupholster the chairs and choose an area rug as simple or as detailed as you like. Then add accessories and wall decor. You can definitely keep your furniture, with well chosen paint and accessories. Again, this is just an example image that allows many possibilities that would fit with the description provided of your beautiful home.
    createlove thanked Lkristine
  • Lanitra Bynum
    10 years ago
    First, turn the furniture so that it makes the dining room looks larger. Both of the 2 chairs are supposed ton be where you have the single chairs. Some beautiful place settings from (Belk's) or whatever you prefer. A tall silk flower arrangement in the center. I think that the theme should be a wine&grapes theme.
  • PRO
    Amy Wax
    10 years ago
    Decorating by starting with a blank canvas is a rare opportunity! My suggestion is to start by buying the Color 911 app.. You can create your own palette, but it is also full of color themes, each with a completely different feel, they are all great! Scroll through them and find a color theme that you are excited about and start looking for elements in the room that match the colors in your theme, using the color theme you've chosen as your guide. Color-wise it will all come together beautifully! It's great fun and easy to use. Color911.com
    createlove thanked Amy Wax
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    @ZS Interior Design, I used Photoshop Elements.
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    Here are a few simple but dramatic ideas.... A black or a stripe accent wall???
  • PRO
    David Lalush Photography
    10 years ago
    A large acrylic mounted photo would look great in that space: http://www.lalush.com/cprints/