william_craig96

can one put colonial shutters and Bermuda shutters on the same house

Will
5 years ago
Wondering whether the two shutters would clash and ruin the design of the house

Comments (15)

• P Banos
    5 years ago

Please post a picture of the house and the proposed shutters. Would you see them at the same time or would they be separated?

• PRO
    CV & Associates, LLC
    5 years ago

Bermuda is considered "Colonial" in some circles

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No Remuddling!

• Will
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Can’t show a picture right now
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Then we can’t help right now.

• luvcolor10b
    5 years ago

It's true, to make a decision it would be helpful to see a picture of your exterior. I have bahama shutters on one side of my home (waterfront in Florida) but probably wouldn't mix them with traditional shutters since they each have a different vibe. You could mix full length bahama shutters with 1/3 length bahama shutters where you don't want to block the view. They add dimension to your home from the outside. They really helped to give some curb appeal to my home.

• suezbell
    5 years ago

What you "can" do and what you "should" do could be entirely different. It's probably not something that would appeal to a future buyer that prefers one style and/or that specifically likes only one of the styles.

You might consider not adding any shutters at all. If you believe the house would look incomplete without shutters, you might consider whether or not wider trim/frames would make a difference.

• Will
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks much all of you
  • Will
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here you go. These are the photos I could get
  • P Banos
    5 years ago

This is a fun looking house. I'd stick with the bahama shutters. The spaces between your windows + the width of your windows will not work for colonial style shutters. What windows do you plan to change? Would this be a purely cosmestic update, or are you planning to use them for shade and hurricane protection?

• User
    5 years ago

Bahama shutters only. The windows need a lighter color. They are black holes. A much lighter peach would be more flattering. That’s more orange than peach. And lose the Ionic capitals on the columns. The column proportion is incorrect, and nothing else about the home says Greek Revival. They are a large missed note.

• tatts
    5 years ago

Those columns are hilarious! They are clearly fake because their bases sit on a 'foundation' that is narrower than the columns. OMG.

And, no shutters. There's no room on most windows and they couldn't be wide enough to look real on the others.

• Will
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Columns are going to go! And windows will be adjusted . Really just wanted to understand the principle re shutters. Can one mix and match or do we need total conformity?
  • deegw
    5 years ago

Why do you want to use different shutters? If it is for decorative purposes, I would say only one kind. If there is a functional reason to use a different shutter, it might be possible to make it work.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville