Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alissa_abrahamgoodman

Kitchen island opinions needed. Thank you!

Alissa Goodman
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi all - We're working on a mostly DIY kitchen remodel and are at the point that we need to set our island so we can get measured for counter tops. Please note that there are many items that need to be finished yet. For a visual, I used a piece of cardboard and cardboard legs and center "kick stand" in order to support the cardboard. Island top will be 42" wide. The length will be 8’ 3” to 8' 6" overall.

Specific question: Should the island be centered or is maximum floor between work space and island more important?

I have four pictures. First pic is taken from the living room looking into the kitchen. In this picture, you can see almost the whole room . Then, there are three closer pics of the island: 36”, 39” and 42” from right counter edge to island counter edge. (I believe 42" is the lowest recommended floor area between work surfaces.) If you want to know more specifics about the space and design plans, please read on. Otherwise, scroll to pics. Thanks for your help! (If there is something I didn't consider that is relevant to the functionality of the kitchen, please share!

Considerations:

1. The tall table, chandelier and fridge to the right of the picture will not be included in the finished design.

2. The only "work" item on the island will be a built-in microwave in the cabinet directly in front of the stove. Everything else is drawers or doors.

3. There will be a centered wall-mount stainless range hood which will extend up to the soffit.

4. Sink is in the corner.

5. Dishwasher is located on the right perimeter.

6. Two cabs facing the dishwasher have doors.

7. Railing will flank the sides of the stairs.

8. Baseboard, cabinet trim and crown will be affixed later.

Other design elements:

1. Island will have wood 'squarish' legs and an apron piece from the countertop bottom extending from the legs to island cabs. There will also be an apron from leg to leg at the end of the island. (For those with support concerns, a frame of aluminum 3” strut will be used down the center and perimeter, all hidden by the apron.

2. There will be a tile backsplash that will extend to soffit behind the stove.

3. Lighting is centered with the room but could possibly be changed. (Suggestions welcome)

4. Baseboard and toe kick will be installed.

5. A different type of seating/less clunky will be purchased for the island.\

6. All counter surfaces will likely be a lighter color quartz.

Comments (2)