Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi_

Sochi bathroom reveal: shower wallpaper + silestone shower pan

Sochi
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

My master bathroom was completed about two months ago, it is part of a whole house gut, renovation and addition.

The wallpaper in the shower is from Wall and Deco in Italy. They have an office in Miami. http://www.wallanddeco.com/it/18-collections--Wet-System. The website is available in English as well. I purchased my paper through a great wallpaper shop in The Netherlands: https://www.behangfabriek.com

Before purchasing you supply the company with the size of your project, they then send you a scale model of the pattern you have chosen. It is printed for your project to your specific dimensions.

The Wall&Deco website has links to youtube videos with details on installation and care. Installation takes several days - the subsurface is prepared, the paper applied, then multiple coats painted over the paper. Coats must dry thoroughly between applications. Wall&Deco says that the subsurface need not be waterproof, but my contractor installed kerdi-board panels nevertheless. Installation requires patience but is not difficult (I'm told).

In person the wallpaper is exquisite. It looks like a hand-painted mural. The detail is just amazing. It exceeded all expectations. So far it is holding up well, but we've only been using it for two months. I did contact a hotel in Germany last year that uses it - they didn't tell me much other than it is working well.

The shower pan and shower wall are honed charcoal soapstone Silestone. https://www.silestoneusa.com/shower-trays/

This was a difficult product to get my hands on. My counter guy was persistent and managed to get it, but it took at least three months. My contractor did have to have to waterproof where the two Silestone slabs meet. I can ask for details if needed. Involved much caulking. There is also a mm or so of caulking along the bottom of the wallpaper at the shower pan.

The shower pan is entirely slip resistant. I used the same Silestone material on the vanity counter and on a walnut buffet in our kitchen.

The vanity is custom, walnut. Faucet is from Piet Boon. https://bycocoon.com

The toilet is Toto washlet/bidet. DH loves is, I'm sort of meh.

Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks to all for the encouragement and help, special thanks to Pal for advice on the vanity backslash and mirror. Here are a few pics:

Comments (41)

• roarah
    5 years ago

I already adored your shower but the entire area, bedroom paneling, flooring(carpet and tile), vanity and paint with the wallpaper altogether are beyond exquisite! Beautifully unique and elegant!

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Be still my heart; you could sell tickets to see that bathroom! I love the colors and the textures and the everything. You have created a space that is beautiful and modern with a classic feel. Bravissima!

Oh, and the wallpaper speaks for itself- I bet you take very long showers :-) A brilliant choice.

• beaniebakes
    5 years ago

Thank you for posting. Everything is absolutely stunning. I’m sure you’ll enjoy those beautiful spaces for many years to come.

• leela4
    5 years ago

It's all so beautiful.

I so love what you do with your houses. Thanks for sharing.

• teeda
    5 years ago

Wow. It's all beautiful, but that wallpaper is really amazing.

• Nancy in Mich
    5 years ago

Yes, it is a beautiful space! You must have so enjoyed choosing your mural and working out the issues to make it happen for you. It is a unique shower wall treatment and I applaud your determination, as I am sure you were told "no" several times along the way. Your textures and colors just flow so smoothly, it is a relaxing and delightful space. I have to ask, is the art we see in the bedroom related to the mural? It reminds me of it in style somehow. They go nicely together.

I agree that you don't need anything else in the bathroom for now. I believe that you are on the right track when you think of plants, though, if you do decide to do something.

• mom2sulu
    5 years ago

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I also adore how the art in the bedroom ties in to the shower mural. Well done!!

• Sammy
    5 years ago

Now THAT is a one-of-a-kind bathroom...how refreshing! And it actually relates, design-wise, to the bedroom which it serves. Brilliant job!

“My contractor did have to have to waterproof where the two Silestone slabs meet. I can ask for details if needed. Involved much caulking.“

Yes, please share the details.

Brava, again, on this masterpiece.

;)

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

Stunning. Love that wallpaper.

• cat_mom
    5 years ago

Stunner!

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    5 years ago

Really made the room!

• alex9179
    5 years ago

Breathtaking. Your other bathroom is one of my favorites so I'm not surprised at how beautiful this is. The wallpaper choice is something else!

• enduring
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Love your taste Sochi! Beautiful shower.

Is this the house that had the beautiful walnut kitchen from 6 or 7 years ago? Or did you move? That kitchen was one of my all time favorites.

• sochi
    5 years ago

Hi enduring - no we moved last year. We purchased a large duplex in the same neighbourhood. It required a complete gut and a small addition, but we have a self-contained 3 bed 2 bath unit for my parents, and a separate family home for me, DH and our kids. It’s an experiment in multi-generational living!

I loved that walnut kitchen too. Our new kitchen is a deep blue with some walnut as well. I need to post that reveal soon.

• enduring
    5 years ago

Sochi, very nice. I love multigenerational family living concepts. Its a win/win for many people. So glad you are able to do this. Yes, a reveal - soon!

• nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous!

I just saw this reveal, so a very belated post. How has the wallpaper held up?

• Joy Cohen
    3 years ago

Hi! Another inquiry asking how it’s holding up - I’m dying to use it in my house but husband is hesitant it will leak

• Looki Lu
    3 years ago

Hi, what flooring tile did you use in the bathroom?

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Lovely to see this again!! I thought I'd dreamt it. :) Couldn't agree with Rita more: you could sell tickets to see this shower.

I'm so terribly seduced by the idea of a beautiful (yours is ART!) grout-less shower that I had to watch the Wall & Deco installation videos. Doesn't look too complicated, just requires a methodical and patient approach. Do you know if the price on the Netherlands wallpaper store website is just for the "paper" itself or does it include the installation materials as well?

• sochi
    3 years ago

Hi there! The wallpaper is still looking good.

The installation materials did come with the wallpaper, at least the “soft” materials (glue, etc).For the floors I don’t remember the name of the tile. I’ll look around and see if I can find it.

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

Sochi - I just happened to stumble upon your post today and - WOW!! Your bathroom is nothing like what I have planned for my bathroom renovation - but you know have my head spinning!!! It is so unique - truly amazing. I wish I could see the shower in person - I can only imagine how beautiful it looks IRL.

Do you still like your faucet? I need to make a final decision on whether to add the expense installing a wall mounted faucet or not. I really love the one that you’ve installed - makes me think the added expense would be worth it! I’ve also been planning on using tile on the entire wall behind my floating vanity/mirrors - but I also really like how yours looks with simply extending the countertop - especially with the wall mounted faucet.

Last question - my plan is to use pendant lighting in my powder room downstairs -but I LOVE how it looks in your bathroom! Everyone had told me not to use it in a master bathroom - they all say that I need to have sconces for proper lighting while getting ready. I barely wear any makeup - and 90% of the time, the little I do wear is applied in the morning. I have a large window (western exposure) in the bathroom - so I’m not dependent just on this lighting for using the mirror. It really looks lovely - and if it functions well, I don’t want to make a mistake and not add it while I’m able to do so. Does it provide enough/the right kind of light for a master bathroom? Thanks!!

• sochi
    2 years ago

Hi dma, thanks so much. I still love my faucet, no regrets. It’s works well and looks great.

I think pendants can work as well as sconces in that the light isn’t coming from above but from the sides. In my cases the pendants are just too close together. Just a mistake that isn’t worth changing, but the light is still flattering I think. I also don’t wear much make up, so it’s fine with me.

Good luck with your bathroom!

• TX-Kristin
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Sochi,

I have been reading your comments over the wallpaper for over a month and am almost ready to pull the trigger! I have been in touch with W&D in Italy and also a local retailer here in the states (I'm in Houston). My builder has been pushing back on this whole idea from the beginning (it's out of his comfort zone and believes I should just put a beautiful tile in the shower), and really wants nothing to do with the project - yes, this upsets me. He is insistent that we install tile on the wall first, which I know is fine, but an added cost. I'm going to talk with his wallpaper installer about it, and may have to go with a completely different installer (hopefully referred by the store I'm purchasing the paper from).

Anyways, I don't want you to rehash everything you've already written, but is there any advice you can give me? I see that it's still holding up fine, which is great news. Did your contractor have any other feedback of comments about prep or install? Do you wish you had gone with tile? I just love the unique look and how it creates an art scene on the wall!

Thanks so much!!!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    2 years ago

This is absolutely gorgeous! You did a fantastic job. We are loving the light fixtures and vanities that you used!

• sochi
    2 years ago

Hi Kristin,

My contractor was nervous as well. I made him watch the install video with me, we talked it through. He insisted on the waterproof kerdi board, which made sense. The water pools for a few seconds a bit at the bottom during a long showers, so he made me promise to re-caulk where the wall meets the floor every couple of years. ;)

Which wallpaper are you going for? They add more gorgeous designs every year, I wish I had another project.

I have been meaning to reach out to the company to see if they ever recommend resealing, say after 5 or 10 years. I’d like to get 15 or 20 years out of it if possible. Haven’t reached out yet.

Good luck!

• TX-Kristin
    2 years ago

Ok, that sounds like a good idea!
    I will definitely ask them about resealing and let you know. The final sealant is actually not available right now. :( So, I’ll have to wait. It could be 6 months to a year. :’(
    The design I’m going with is actually yours! You have great taste! ;) I hate to be a copy cat, but the colors are perfect for us and it’s so beautiful! :) It is amazing how many prints they have!
    Thank you for your feedback!! I’ll let you know how the project goes!

• Looki Lu
    2 years ago

TX-Kristen: would you mind sharing your local retailer and installer? i am also in Houston. i finally got my spouse on board with this concept and vision. I love the moody factor of Miss World and Demetra but then i love the crisp of the Augusta pattern.

• TX-Kristin
    2 years ago

Hi Looki Lu,
    The local retailer is BeDesign in Montrose. They actually have the WET system on the outside of their building! And they have a mural inside. Raven is your girl! :) I don’t have an installer yet but can share that with you when I do. BeDesign has one as well.
    Wall & Deco can send you samples of the papers you’re considering. It’s not a huge piece but it’s enough to see the colors. Good luck!!

• Looki Lu
    2 years ago

Many thanks, Kristin! And good luck with your project as well

• TX-Kristin
    2 years ago

Hi Sochi and Looki Lu! I’ve finally finished my shower! So happy with how it looks!! Next step….take a shower in there!! Ha! ;)

• Looki Lu
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

its beautiful! congrats on your bathroom! its really a showstopper:)

Love the tub and the ledge above.

• enduring
    2 years ago

Beautiful. its a regal environment.

• Alexandra Golovenko
    last year

Hi Sochi and Kristin, gorgeous wallpaper projects! I am in correspondence with several Italian fiber glass wallpaper suppliers now and all of them have different waterproofing methods. The main issue I am finding is that the substrate needs to be white in color and smooth. Sochi mentioned the contractor used Schluter KERDI-BOARD but it is orange, so how did you eventually get it white? Krisitin what did your contractor do for substrate? What products were used to waterproof the wall before the application of the glue, wallpaper and sealants?

My other concern is that the drywall or cement board (depending on what to use) has to sit on top of my shower pan so I fear it will absorb water is not properly waterproofed. Any guidelines and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Alex

• Nancy in Mich
    last year

Alex, Just a quick note about wall substrates and shower pans. If you are using a pre-made shower pan, the drywall/backer board is not installed touching the shower pan. It is installed so that it is inside the lip/flange, but 1/4 to 1/2 inch above the shower pan. Then any water that wants to get up there would have to jump pretty high to touch the drywall/backer board substrate. The shower material (tile, Swanstone, whatever… ) is installed slightly lower than the wall substrate is sitting

• lrridd
    6 months ago

I love shower base. I see the link. I was wondering who you purchased the Silestone from Home Depot vs a kitchen/bath store. The back wall is wall paper, that is amazing. Beautiful!

• sochi
    6 months ago

We didn’t order the silestone from Home Depot, it was difficult to get at the time. I believe it was a special order through a kitchen store.

• PRO
    Uptown45 Designs
    6 months ago

Hi Sochi, how is the wallpaper holding up? Did it have to be resealed after a couple of years? I'm interested in using it in a bathroom project.

• sochi
    5 months ago

Still looks great almost six years in. I haven’t resealed it yet, but probably should. In certain light I can almost detect a bit of wear on the surface, possibly from cleaning. But you need to really examine it closely to notice it. I will post again if and when I reseal it.

• ann smith
    5 months ago

Hi Sochi,

I love everything in your bathroom, but especially the framed textile! Can you tell me about it? I would love to find something similar to that? It looks like a winter scene in Russia

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    5 months ago

WOW! The shower and the whole bathroom is absolutely stunning!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor