homelifepeace

Has anyone had any experience with Modsy service?

PeaceOfHome

Thought I posted this but don't see it anywhere.

I came across Modsy on fb and wonder if anyone has had any experience with them?

• Lauren R

I’m in the process of using them right now and it’s been disappointing. I feel like I just wasted $150 because their service has been worthless.

The room we are looking to redo is our living room. I decided to use them because we have a small child so time is limited to design and style the space and I wanted alternate layout designs. Their designs completely missed the mark on our style and were not functional. They sent back two initial designs (both not our style). The first design had a poor layout as if someone just said “I’m going to just put all the seating on one wall in a line.” Adding to the disappointment was their apparent lack of consideration of preferences noted when filling out their questionnaire. I told them nothing should have gold and the chairs had long gold legs. In the second design, it was clear they didn’t read much of what I wrote and it was a replica of our current layout (which I dislike and is not functional). I also got the impression that rather than thinking about how to use space, they seemed to throw in small faux trees as filler instead of thinking of other solutions.

I’ll see what they come back with but I was left with the impression that the service puts in little effort when it comes to designs and styles. I’ll most likely be giving up on them as I’m extremely disappointed and so doubtful that they‘ll be able to come up with any layouts or designs that match our style and needs. At this point, it’s just been a huge waste of time and money.

• PeaceOfHome

I have a lot to add about Modsy, doing it on your own, and hiring a designer. I've tried all three.

I purchased a 3 room package from Modsy and put it all on hold while I hired a designer because I didn't care for Modsy's design - mistake #1. After having spent thousands, over 60K, I'm reconsidering and say I would definitely try Modsy again - and I have one more room for them to do or redo the other two - and will do so. I'll be posting before and after on another post and tell you all about it. Be on the lookout.

So choices for what was initially a 40K budget and turned into a 60k budget (53K for designer budget), my bottom line is I would try Modsy with a few tweaks. The drawback with Modsy, I'll say here, is that you don't have access to items that designers have access to, especially fabrics.

My biggest mistake:

Budget agreed to was 40K. Total spent Over 60k.

Being intimidated by designer after she said "I"m not making money with you."

Spending over 5k on pillows and having only 4 pieces in a room - a rug, 2 chairs, a couch and missing a most important piece and one I do not know how to replace - a front door console where I keep items that I need to keep in that location.

And most of all, not getting a blue and white room and instead getting a grey room despite starting out saying "I'm not a grey person," I want blue and white, and sending lots and lots of images of blues.

And waiting from September until March - in the middle of the Coronavirus - to have my couch finally delivered, after first delivery came with a couch 5 inches short from a popular Norwalk, CT, store.

So be on the lookout for pictures and factual details with emails and advice when working with a designer for the first time.

Marble Shower: If you had to do it over, would you do it again?

We have honed marble on pretty much every surface of our bathroom; the floor is heated as well. We have young kids, and I’ve been not that maniacal about which products I or my cleaning lady use. It looks as good as the day it was installed. I think having honed is key; we likely have some etching and staining but I just don’t notice it due to the honing.

Countertop Fail

Most warranties in general are just a feel good thing...I agree, Joe, worthless. But I have had a couple warranties come through in the past. And you're right about #1 and #2. Last year I measured a kitchen. Their countertop had a HUGE crack in the corner...like the San Andreas fault line! hahaha. They had a lazy susan and NO support in the back corner. The cabinet or countertop installer should have put a cleat against both walls in the corner to support that top. The homeowner was blaming the countertop manufacturer. But it was installed improperly by Lowes.

Anyone hear of quorastone

From what I see just another quartz with its issues just like any manmade material

Wall ovens - Any good ones out there ?

Design Girl- All I can say is that ever since Monogram offered the French Door a few yrs back I've been looking at reviews up to earlier this year and I have yet to find one negative review on it. Everyone that has one loves it and if they had any interaction with the Customer Service they had no problem. I also like the size of the oven. My partner's mother put a Gaganau French double oven in her new house in '04. She's had to have that oven serviced 3 times since and every time the parts took 2-3 months to get as they had to get them from Germany as this is not a main stream oven so parts aren't carried in stock, My Profile is 20 yrs old and I truly believe that if I didn't want something sparkly and new, I'd get another 20 yrs out of them and I'm sure you feel the same. I actually have seriously considered keeping them as I know that I can use the self clean, not have to worry about flaking or the glass door exploding but since none of these issues seem to be present in the Monogram that makes me more comfortable to make a change. I don't want to gamble that another high-end brand may or may not have one of these issues. It seems like a crap shoot as to what problems you could end up with. So why take the risk. Also, for my needs I don't need all the fancy technology nor want it, as that can also mean more repairs down the road. I don't really consider a $7K plus oven a step down from the Wolf's, etc. It's just that I think those other brands are better at marketing their product than Monogram and I often wonder if there is a higher profit margin for the dealer as they sure like to push those other high-end brands. I also have had Sub Zero and Monogram refrigerators and am almost settled on going with the Monogram columns. As I haven't found the SZ to be any superior than the Monogram and I can save a bit if I go that way.
    Modsy

Thank you, Lauren R for your feedback on our service. We'd love the opportunity to help you improve your experience with us. If you would be so kind as to email our customer service team at hello@modsy.com we can look into bringing you the excellent designs you deserve.

Modsy

Hello Peace of Home,

Thanks for providing that detailed comparison of different design services. Please know that for Modsy's part we are always looking for ways to better our service and truly take this kind of feedback to heart.

PeaceOfHome thanked Modsy
  • Kindness Wins

I absolutely would not do business with Modsy. They just laid off most of their staff and gave those jobs to designers in Bulgaria to save money (during the global coronavirus pandemic no less). The designers in America who were not laid off were given a substantial pay cut, and now have to speed through your designs in order to barely make more than minimum wage. Because they care more about how fast designers are over anything else, many of the designs are generic and rushed. They are not a good company and they do not care about their employees or customers. Only their pockets.

PeaceOfHome thanked Kindness Wins
  • Laura Fiffick

Don’t use them. They designed three rooms for me and almost as soon as you get the design items go out of stock. I ordered, paid for, and waited for two months for a key element of a room only to be told the piece was no longer available.

Modsy

Hello Laura,

We are sorry to hear that you've had difficulty with our ordering service. This is not the experience we want for any of our customers. We are looking into the issue for you right now and will have a team member contact you as soon as we have more detail and a resolution for your issue.

• Andressa Brrt

that’s why its important to read reviews before purchasing anything online! :( i will be moving soon and still didn’t get my 2 rooms designed. It keeps saying “ it’s delayed”, i was expecting a 1:1 communication with the designer and i never got a message reply back. now i just feel sad because ir seems like i have to wait over a month for a design that it would probably make no sense according to this reviews above. :( I was about to recommend the service to other friends but if i have to wait one more than for my design, i want my money back. No integrity, as most companies out there: i’m more sad than upset ,

Modsy

Hi Andressa,

Thanks for posting here. We are very sorry to hear that you are having issues with our service. We'd like to get to the bottom of whatever is happening with your designs. Can you send us a direct message with your account details and we will look into the issue right away?

• snair80

I signed up for Modsy to try for the first time and bought a combo package at that. I’ve used Havenly before and was really pleased with them but thought I would give Modsy a shot. Bad idea. My design was supposed to be done last week. No mention when everything was submitted there were delays. Excited, I checked the day of and kept checking with no updates until the end of the day....where I see it delayed and pushed to a later day. That day comes around, same situation. I checked just now and pushed back again. No notifications or emails stating as such. I’ve also emailed them and no response. I’m extremely disappointed in this company and haven’t even submitted the second design yet. I would definitely recommend Havenly as a business, their communication and service was great. Would have liked to give Modsy a chance but so far it’s not looking good at all.

• Aurora & Adrianna T

Been waiting 2 weeks for my design that should of been done on the 26th. Everyday it keeps saying pushed back a extra day and still not past step 2. Haven’t gotten any email if they need more info

Modsy

Hi There,

Thank you for addressing the issues you are having. We understand that there have been some package delays related to a sudden influx of package purchases. While we are extremely grateful for this business it has caused some delays with design delivery. We understand how frustrating this can be and really would like to help. If you would like us to look into your issue, please send us a direct message including your account info and we will address any issues you may have. Thanks.

Along with everyone else, I have also been waiting for my designs. The deadline has now been changed 5 times. Each time, with no email or communication. With the mass amount of people who were laid off by this company while they outsourced jobs, I am extremely disappointed in this service as a whole. If any designer who was laid off has access to a 3D rendering program, please reach out to me as I would prefer to pay you directly.

Modsy

Hello there,

Thanks for reaching out here. We are sorry to hear that you have been affected by design delays.

Due to these unprecedented times, we have had to make changes to our business for the health of our employees and our company. Unfortunately, some of these changes, as well as increased demand in package purchases have caused some delays for our customers, We are always happy to look into your account if you would be so kind as to share your information via direct message.

• Crystal Kizer

I would NOT recommend Modsy. I have had the worst experience with this company. I had ordered furniture through them since they had stated they have exclusive discounts and transparent pricing which makes it easier for the customer but they only made it worse. I've used an interior designer previously but thought Modsy would be fun to try. I wish I never used them. The bed I purchased from Pottery Barn had no discount When I was charged, but when I needed to schedule the shipping, I saw the order had a discounted price I was surprised that I wasn't notified that they had gotten the discount it wasn't not passed back to me. I have worked with designers previously who have given me a trade discount I thought it was an oversight in Modays part so reached out and was disappointed when Modsy told me this was proprietary information that I shouldn't have seen and that I would not be getting a discount. I was shocked that they had openly admitted to charging me a higher price. If it was proprietary I should not have been able to easily see it on my order. my issues with this company don't end there. I had also ordered a chair from their exclusive vendor, Ravine Home and after two months, still have not received it. I had to reach out multiple times via email and their social media to get a response from them. It surprises me that Modsy promotes having an exclusive relationship with this vendor, yet could not communicate to me when/if the item would ship. I had to threaten to refute the charge on my credit card for them to finally get back to me.

You are much better going with an in person designer than this company. It has been an absolute nightmare working with them and continues to be a nightmare as I try and recoup the money for the furniture that I still have not received.

• ritesh666

Yes i tried Modsy for my living room design and was quite satisfied with the experience with them. Since my design requirements were very minimal and simple, i got my designs within 3 weeks. I liked their output however i set up my room with few additional touches from my end. All in all it was a good experience however i feel their prices are a bit higher as compared to other services. I am also looking to get my bedroom done online, maybe ill give other services like Havenly, Decorist, Spacejoy or Laurel & Wolf a shot once! Cheers :)

• Jennifer Sternberg

I used Modsy in January when I was needing assistance with an entryway redesign. I worked with an amazing woman (Hannah) and we spoke on the phone and she emailed me regularly with any and all updates. After each interaction, Modsy would send a survey and I would always give Hannah a good review. If I gave fewer then 5 starts, she would reach out to understand how she could have done better.

Given the good first experience, I opted to do another room. This second experience has been a complete disaster. My designer has been assigned (Julia), but she has never once reached out to me via email or otherwise to ask me about my room. The calendar in my project profile changes every few days. So, since May 19th, the supposed date when my project is to be ready has been changed 3 times.

When looking at these responses from Modsy, they ask that you send a direct message. I have done that multiple times, but the only response I get is from Julia jumping in to say that there is a delay and that she can not even give me an educated guess as to when things will be done. She was honest and did tell me that the calendar feature is broke and that it is not a true reflection of when your project will be ready. I've been waiting for over a month and half now. I doubt I will get my design or my money back.

Modsy

Hello Jennifer,

Thank you so much for providing these details on your account. We wanted to let you know that we were able to find your account and are looking into your issue now.

Of course, we completely understand the importance of delivering your project in an allotted time frame and strive to do so with every customer. When we do miss deadlines we do our very best, to be honest, and accountable. With this in mind, we want you to know that we are willing to provide a package refund. That said, we would love the opportunity to continue to work with you and show that we can turn this bad experience into a great one.

I've reached out to your designer and ask them to send you an email with all the details on your project and how we can help better moving forward.

We also wanted to let you know that the reason we ask customers to send an email to hello@modsy.com after they've posted here is that we can not always find an account through Houzz user names. This is because people offend use different names for different accounts. We thank you for calling this to our attention so that users will have a better idea of why we make that request.

Thanks again,

Jake H.

• Jinx

A friend across the country used Modsy for her living room and was somewhat pleased (even though they didn’t do anything she asked). After I helped her with another room of hers, she wanted to do something nice for me, and kindly gifted me a room re-do from Modsy.

I thought it’d be fun to see about refreshing my bedroom. A new set of designer eyes. When I tried to redeem her very generous gift, they insisted I give them my credit card number. I refused ... she’d already paid for my room to be done, it was all cleared, why should I give out my personal financial information to them? I wasn’t buying anything. They said they would not be able to do my room unless I gave them my credit card number, too. What?

I said no, and had them refund her her money, but it put me in a very uncomfortable position with my friend at the time, explaining the situation and basically returning a gift.

I’ve never had to give out my own cc info to redeem any kind of gift before. It makes no sense.

Modsy

Hello Jinx,

Thanks for providing this feedback. We ask that people submit their credit card info when they submit their accounts to make it easier for them to purchase furniture through us should they decide to do so. That said, we value your feedback and will take it to leadership to see if there are ways we can improve this process in the future. We are truly sorry you were not able to enjoy your experience and we are thankful that your feedback will contribute bettering the experience of customers in the future.

I loved it! I purchased the basic package which was the cheapest and had them design my living room. They came up with a layout that I never thought of. The responses only took a couple days. I purchased almost all of the recommendations they gave me. I would definitely recommend and use again!

PeaceOfHome thanked HU-660291647
  • Bev

I purchased the Modsy Premium Package and liked 2 of the designs provided but have been unable to speak to my designer to expedite the process of refining the designs or obtaining fabric swatches before ordering a sectional. Hopefully this forum will provide a response to the emails and request I sent to Modsy. Thanks

Modsy

Hello Bev,

Thanks for reaching out here. We'd like to help you get the service you are looking for and put you in contact with your designer. Can you send an email to hello@modsy.com with the subject line "Social Media Outreach" so we can get to the bottom of this issue?

• Bev

Actually, I just received an email from my designer (Leah) and an email from Heather (customer service). I’ve set up a call with Leah at her earliest availability which is next week. I believe this can work out but there are areas of improvement. First a Ravine Home sectional was suggested and so I wanted to order fabric swatches. No search on Modsy provides fabric swatches which in my opinion is a showstopper if your spending over $2600 for a single piece. This was part of the need to speak to the designer. I’m resourceful, so I found the Ravine Home site & ordered the swatches.
    I also want to take advantage of the limited time discount/money off so hopefully I get the swatches within 1 week in order to make a purchase decision & get the discount or have the discount deadline extended.
    Thanks for your quick reply. I will post the progress because I noticed on Houzz there are quite a few negative reviews. Had I looked here first, I may not have purchased the Premium package. In my opinion, Modsy (based in Cali) is making a huge effort to revamp your business and provide good customer service in this new normal. Stay tuned.

• annishaloren525

Yes. Freakin Love it so far. I am so sorry to hear that so many have had a bad experience but mine has been awesome. My design came in a timely manner, they were spot on for what I was looking for. I am able to communicate with my designer through email and through phone. Yo cant just call her or him up, you have to make an appointment, but when I had my phone appointment with Francesca I was so so so happy when I got off the phone. I will say they try to promote the Ravine Home in a lot of the renderings and its the first thing that pops up when you put a search in for anything, but I get it from a business perspective, however what I dont get, is that their is no one to really talk to about the line of furniture. My designer suggested a 3000k sectional from their line. Im super interested, but the website is pretty vague about the furniture and what to expect. "Made in America with imported material" what does. that even mean? or, hand- tied siniuious springs, umm, are you referring to eight way hand tied springs, or just putting fancy words together??? Also Ravine Home, if you go to the website, does not have an actually number to call and speak to someone about the furniture, to me, that is scary. These are all questions that I can not go unanswered before i purchase a 3500k sectional. Overall, I love Modsy, My designer is freakin awesome and I will definitely be using them again, I just dont know If Im gonna be able to buy their furniture until I get a better understanding of what I am buying.

Modsy

Hi Bev,

Thanks for providing further details. We have contacted your designer and they have reached out to you via email with details about your concerns.

Modsy

annishaloren525, Thanks so much for your input. We are sorry our Ravine Home site seems to have raised some questions for you. We wanted to provide some clarity about sinuous springs and how our products are sourced. A sinuous spring system is made up of heavy-gauge steel wires that form continuous, vertical S-shaped coils. This type of construction is proven to provide a comfortable "sit" plus be very durable and good quality. All Ravine Home pieces are manufactured in the US but because furniture requires several components Ravine does source certain materials internationally for production purposes. We also wanted to let you know that we are happy to provide further information about Ravine via a phone call with your designer if you need it.

• PeaceOfHome

I noticed more positive responses were popping up and as i still had one room left of a 3 room package (didn't use first 2 rooms) I'm giving them a second chance with the third room, a bedroom. I'm very hopeful.

• hkf2015fkh

So far it has been a terrible experience. Customer service is non existent. I have already paid months ago and have received zero service and unable to get in touch with anyone. I keep getting the std auto reply but no live response.

Modsy

Hello, we are sorry you are having this issue. Can you send an email to hello@modsy.com with the email you signed up for your account with and we can look into things right away?

• hkf2015fkh

I have a series of daily emails. Responses are just platitudes from some sort of auto reply. No human contact..just delay tactics. Extremely disappointed..was so looking forward to the redesign by your company.
    will be happy to post the entire thread if you wish.

• hkf2015fkh

"Your request (952304) has been received and is being reviewed by our support staff."
    Here is my request number.

This is the std response I have been getting...
    It is pointless for me to keep emailing when there is no real response.

Modsy

Thank you for providing this information. We were able to find your account and see you were talking with Modsy agent Kent. We also noticed that your designs have not been delivered yet because you still have some info you need to submit to your project. We have noted the issue and asked that a Modsy team lead reach out to you with details soon.

• hkf2015fkh

corrections:
    We were not talking...
    Kent had responded VIA EMAIL with a std one liner and then silence. Therefore did not address my specific questions/concerns. At this point after repeated emails for assistance I requested my money back and once again silence.

I had no opportunity to submit project since my requests for login issues assistance was ignored by your team.

Essentially the whole operation or lack thereof hides behind emails. And they entertain NO phone calls.

Modsy

hkf2015fkh So sorry for the frustration and anything our team may have missed. I have coordinated with the team to provide you with a full refund for your package and you should be receiving an email with details shortly.

Modsy

Ramzi Nah Thanks for providing details here. We are sorry that your desk is missing components an agent will be reaching out to you soon with details on a replacement. While our phone support is down due to service provider issues related to COVID-19, we do have live chat and email 7 days a week.

• lmanwill

I gifted my mom a Modsy package. She can't use the gift unless she enters her credit card information. They want the credit card info in case she wants to make an additional purchase at a later date...why not just get info when and if she wants to make another purchase? There is a shady element to forcing people to give a credit card number with the gift certificate info. Additionally, my mom was having a hard time setting up her account and wished to speak to someone on the phone about the problem she was having. Modsy responded that they don't have phone service now because of COVID19. Both of these responses seem so stupid...I don't even know how to respond. My mom was going to try again today to get things sorted out, but after reading these reviews I'm thinking it's a bit hopeless.

• IdaClaire

I would never, ever, EVER provide my credit card number to a vendor for them to hold on file "in case I wanted to make a future purchase." That's practically an invitation for hackers and identity theft, and I think it's extremely irresponsible for such a requirement even to exist. Modsy is opening themselves up to needless exposure in this regard. It's a HUGE "nope" for me, and I suspect, for many. It is good to have that brought to the forefront in this discussion ... might save some would-be clients a lot of time.

• IdaClaire

Not sure if it's been pointed out, but Modsy has a C- Better Business Bureau rating.

Modsy

Hello lmanwill,

Thanks for purchasing a gift card through Modsy. We are sorry to hear that your mom's experience of getting set up has been taxing and doubly sorry that the reviews on Houzz have negatively impacted your trust in our company.

We work hard to make every customer experience a good one and ask for the credit card at the outset of the exp so that our Order Concierge can make purchasing easier down the line. That said, we completely understand where you are coming from and appreciate the feedback.

It is true that we currently have limited phone contact for customers related to COVID-19. Because not all of our remote staff have access to quality phone connections in their respective areas, we want to reduce frustration for our customers by limiting the number of dropped calls they may incur. For this reason, with have phones off.

You can always reach our staff via hello@modsy.com, and we'll get back to you within 24-48 hours. You can also chat with us live during our operating hours of 7 AM - 6 PM PST.

We are also happy to make an exception for your mom and give her a call. If you would like us to do that, please contact us via email with the subject line "Social Media Outreach," We will have agents look into the issue ASAP.

As far as the negative reviews in this thread, we work to reach out and respond to all our customers. We understand that there is always room for improvement and welcome all feedback.

• hkf2015fkh

Thank you!

• TatumT

I purchase a 2 room package and encouraged my Mother to finally address her home office—I paid just for her to get started. NOTE; I just move into an empty duplex condo; my Mother built her house and moved in this February. Bottom line: if this works we will return. We had good fun submitting preferences and completing other requested details.

On the forum, I see that people have discussed how the timeline is nudged back—I’ll get to this later. First I will address inconsistency in service experience.

THE GOOD: My Mother loves her person. Her designer seems to have taken a genuine interest during follow ups. She’s even asked additional probing questions that my Mother didn’t think of at first. She seems human.

THE BAD: My person responds in templates. I can tell because responses do not respond to any questions or anything specific in my original email—even if I present a problem. Here is the response framework: “Thanks so much, INSERT NAME HERE, this is very useful! Keep an eye out for an email from the design team asking about potential layouts for the room; they'll want feedback on that before we can get started designing.”

This is what I received in response to a specific question. If what I send you has concerns, and language that ends in question marks—respond to ME. Show me more care and respect than copy and paste.

I thought maybe AI were “designing” so I confirmed name differences and tone and approach distinctions further with my Mother.

I wanted to be patient and wait to see if perhaps the designs would be so great that I could forgive my designer’s approach. My estimated date was today the 23rd. I received no emails. However, I logged into my profile and noticed the date was updated to the 27th—and there it is I’ve been nudged!!! NO notice or robotic AI blast even.

I’m venting here because now I worry that my copy paste designer will be annoyed and give me a copy paste design if I complain directly. I worry about the interest and care that is given—when compared to my Mother’s experience.

It’s like buying 2 chai tea lattes from the same shop, and one is yummy but the other is bland.

I hate to feel disappointed before even seeing anything. I am not feeling strongly about having my second bedroom or other rooms in the house done. Please increase service consistence. If you need help In assessing the impact of these inconsistencies and the impact I will help. I have a PhD in Organizational Leadership—really.

• Jennifer Sternberg

I had the exact same thing happen. My first design experience was awesome (Like your mom). So, I didn't think twice to try again. The second designer did not help at all. The designs were cookie cutter and boring. I stopped asking for updates. Also, my deadline was pushed back every 3-4 days for several weeks.

• Shannon Brown

So between the C- Better Business Bureau rating and the employee ratings on Glassdoor regarding how Modsy mistreats their employees and contractors, why would anyone choose them? My intuition is it started as a unique concept with good customer service at the beginning but has then been going downhill. Please do your research before making purchases from any company.

• TatumT

I appreciate Shannon’s comments. Good reminder. In this case, I believe that there were only a handful of responses at the time. Maybe it’s changed. From a data perspective, and having handled thousands of survey results and making employment decisions with data—both qualitative and quantitative, the “N” (in this case) wasn’t substantive. Plus there are people who had positive experience—they need to work on consistency and service.

Modsy

Hello TatumT,

Thank you so much for providing such clear feedback on your experience. We completely agree that consistency is a very important indicator of quality. We work hard to guarantee that each customer gets the excellent service they deserve. However, their are inevitable missteps along the way and when those happen we want to rectify them. We'd be happy to reassign a new designer to you who can provide the same level of attentiveness and care that your mother has received. We were able to find your email within our system and will send you an email on how we plan to help improve your experience.

• PeaceOfHome

Follow my post "How would u design this bedroom with sloped ceilings & built-ins? pics" to see a current Modsy design in progress? And please help if you can.

Modsy
    3 hours ago

Hi PeaceOfHome,

We are now following that thread. We'd love to be able to help directly and find the perfect layout for your unique space. Can you please DM us your Modsy account info so we can help make your design dreams a reality?

PeaceOfHome thanked Modsy
  • TatumT
    2 hours ago

Just an update. Modsy has connected me with a FANTASTIC new designer. We’ve had a great telephone conversation and exchanged multiple emails. She is attentive and creative.

PeaceOfHome thanked TatumT
  • PeaceOfHome
    40 minutes ago

I have DM Modsy. Thank you for reaching out to help.