Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_vivlee

Built-in fire pit or portable? I could use some advice!

Violet Lee
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I could use some advice....we're trying to decide between a built-in fire pit or purchase a portable one. We're about to embark on a large-scale backyard remodel with all new hardscape and landscape. We tend to lean on the more contemporary/modern side with preferences to clean lines. We like the idea of having a fire pit/sitting area to add interest to the backyard (we'll also add a built-in BBQ, that's another topic of discussion). It seems like the cost of building one and buying a set (portable pit and seating) could be around the same. What are the pros and cons for both? We live in Southern CA and it seems like everyone here has them. :-) Thanks.

Comments (18)

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

make sure your town allows them.... lots of places don't allow 'open burning' that isnt grilling.

• auntthelma
    5 years ago

The con is that you can't rearrange. If you find you don't like the location, you're stuck. Also, if you can't store it in the winter, it will need cleaning in the spring. Neither is a deal breaker - just what you want to consider.

• Violet Lee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Any downsides to a portable? My husband seems to think that a built-in would provide more of a consistent look since it will coordinate with the BBQ. But I think as long as the portable set coordinates with the rest of the outdoor furniture, that would be fine.

• Violet Lee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

If we do built-in, we will have to pay to run a gas line to the fire pit. If portable, we would do propane tank.

• Design Dog
    5 years ago
    Do a built one only if you’re Super Sure that’s EXACTLY where you want it
  • apple_pie_order
    5 years ago

Buy an inexpensive portable one and move it around til you find a spot you actually like that is comparatively safe. Your local building codes may specify location restrictions.

• Violet Lee
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What's the upside for a built-in?

• Bruce Crawford
    5 years ago
    We have built-in under a 12’x12’ pergola & enjoy it. Two sides of pergola have stackable block walls w/ caps for bench seating & glass blocks on corner pillars w/,low-voltage lighting inside the blocks, patio chairs or chaises under pergola around the pit. If it’s just two of us (empty-nesters) it’s chaises. If more, chairs.
  • tbchic
    5 years ago

I like your idea of the portable one. We bought a cheap wood burning one and have used it 5 times in 3 years. We got it to see how much we would actually use it because we were looking at a built in setup. I think for me I would go with a nice portable one.

• PRO
    The Outdoor GreatRoom Company
    5 years ago

Fire pits are great for creating that focal point in your outdoor space! We produce a variety of gas fire pits that would fit your modern/contemporary theme. If you want a certain design and want to embark on a fun DIY project, you can purchase a UL listed gas burner for your own unique look too. Both options are s'mores approved!

• rosann hollinger
    5 years ago

We too are considering a portable wood burning fire pit. What is advice for best wood burning portables? What are things to look for? Is concrete just as good under it as sand or gravel? Thanks!

• mbbrown3
    5 years ago

Bruce, we are about to build a gas fire pit under a pergola, could you post a picture?

also, what BTU is your fire pit?

• PRO
    Skyblu Design
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We opted for a built in and love it. It is definitely the focal point of the yard.

Our fire pit is 180,000 BTU (which is too much!).

• kitasei
    4 years ago

Our portable fire pit has been very useful for burning brush.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

We love our built in because all you have to do is turn it on and light it. With a portable, you have to deal with wood, propane, or other fuel that has to be changed out. Making it easy to use ensures you will use it more often. A built in also adds to your home value and looks much more upscale.

• mjammjam
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here's what I've found:

I know this has little to do with the fact that you're asking about portable or fixed, but I was concerned about wood-burning or propane unit:

1 - The ones with the glass rocks that use propane (whether portable or not) aren't as warm as a roaring fire in a wood-burning unit.

2 - Glass rocks are prettier than the wood, but there's something so cool about a roaring fire as opposed to a pretty one

3 - Guys love throwing wood and sticks into an open flame.

4 - Flame from wood-burning keeps the bugs away, and it makes for a cozy atmosphere at night. It even spreads a good amount of warmth - Fun times with drinks, and marshmallows (Need to buy extra long sticks on Amazon- then toss in fire afterward). You cannot roast marshmallows on the unit with glass rocks without ruining the rocks.

5 - You will come into your house smelling like fire when you sit at a wood-burning unit.

6 - If you use something portable, you can move it to adjust the party size layout.

What did you choose?

• rosann hollinger
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Portable wood burning! Complete w s'mores and smelling like fires. Thinking of a "permanent" in ground wood burning in the future. And I build the fires now, no more depending on my husband. We already have gas fireplace INdoors, so REAL outdoors is a nice balance. Good call.