lisa_adams3049647

First two ‘Sweet Mademoiselle’ blooms about to open!

Lisa Adams

My ‘Sweet Mademoiselle’, purchased locally is just about to open her first two buds. She’s the last of the three Romantica roses I purchased and planted at the same time to bloom. Her buds are quite bright! (Please don’t let them be orange.) I do remember that ‘Boscobel’s’ buds gave me bit of a scare, too. Boscobel opened to a nice pink with coral undertones. Here’s the bud pictures. It’s suddenly very warm here, so they should be opening very soon. Lisa

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Thanks for the pictures

I like the color actually

I guess if I hate it I can always give it away .

Lisa Adams thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    Top Answer
  • Anna

Hi Lisa. Mine SM today. First blooms

Lisa Adams thanked Anna

Looking to open up our living area.

Just updating my post. We headed up to the attic yesterday to figure out which walls are load bearing and which ones aren't and had a bad discovery. The one wall we wanted to remove has a big load bearing piece in it that can't just be moved. I've modified the first picture in the link above with a purple/pink dot showing where it is. We're now looking to figure out how this affects things as we can't put the fireplace exactly where we wanted to and also can't open up as much space in the family room area as we wanted to.

My first home & looking for curb appeal help!

Like the suggestions for more stone steps - wide and with deep treads and a shallow rise. Changing all over to brick would be pretty costly. If the stonework makes stepping with nice shoes difficult, perhaps find someone who can get you some smoother stone for the main stepping places. Maybe more large flat rocks in the wide 'path' to the front door. Do you need a handrail for steadiness on steps? Many people do. Pop the door with a colour you love. That can lead you to colour choices in the garden. I agree that the nice tree in front of the window no longer complements the front view towards the house. If you like the idea of a tree or the play of dappled light, maybe someone from the south could recommend a small, open and airy tree with some blossoms. Otherwise, you live in a wonderful area of the States for ornamental shrubs. I love the style I saw throughout NC and SC (and Savannah) of simple plantings featuring azaleas. ferns, and hostas, too. I know the mugginess and heat of summer can affect which choices southern gardeners make. If you see gardening more as a job rather than as an obsessive/ compulsive NEED (me), maybe just add a few groups of short perennials in spaces between the shrubs you have to break up the same green colour these shrubs have. Something with a variegated leaf (hostas - some can handle sun). Keep the mulch for moisture retention. You could add impatiens in groups (not a row) along the edges of the path for summer colour. I would suggest pots by the front door but your shrubs are close there and there tubs might make the entry more crowded than welcoming. An alternative if you like SOME gardening, you could go for swathes of colour/texture with large plantings of daylilies, or rudbeckia, shasta daisies, echinacea, .... There would be some deadheading involved. If you're a GARDENER, plant choice suggestions are not necessary here and you'll be anxious to get right out there and make your mark.

The dirty truth about open storage mudrooms, and kennels too

Mari, have I got a craft for you! Take a nice little 8x10 dollar-store frame and then paint the cardboard back of it with a bit of chalkboard paint, and flip it over so the chalkboard is now framed. Screw two eye-hooks into one side. Thread a ribbon, preferably burgundy velvet, through the eye hooks. Tie it across the stairwell at the bottom and write on the sign either "out of order" or "no visitors allowed past this point" (like they do with those velvet ropes at Biltmore House.) Before your final trip down, make sure each bath has cleaning supplies, and set some furniture polish cloths in each bedroom. Once every 6 weeks call Merry maids. Keep the clean towels and sheets for those upstairs bedrooms in your laundry closet, and just set some out on a pretty stool or chair near the bottom of the staircase when the girls are coming. (You can tie those with velvet ribbon too, LOL. Let the girls clean their bathrooms before and after: you will cook and do other hostess things for them, but just say "I don't do stairs MUCH anymore." Then say nothing else: no further explaining needed. The "MUCH" qualifier allows you to "do stairs" whenever YOU want without anyone having reason to comment... ;) The velvet rope trick will be divine! If it's good enough for Biltmore mansion, i think it's good enough, right? LOL.

Sweet deal!

@CHLOEBUD and @PRINTESA--- I have Le Creuset from 35+ years ago and still going strong! I don't like the newer stuff so I snap up what I can find of the old at sales etc. IF it is REALLY cruddy--oven cleaner. I got a whole SET inc the big stew pot the small stew pot and several handled pieces and lids for $10 at a sale--the color was grey which didn't thrill me but my son was HAPPY to have them! I have two of the large stew pots--one I got for 50 CENTS at a fund raiser sale as it was deemed too cruddy to sell. It has raised "grill" lines on the bottom--I have never seen another one like it. All of the ones I have kept are flame. My son has an odd assortment of whatever mom found at sales over the years--I had a cedar chest I filled with this stuff for my kids. Just be aware---if you drop them--they can crack. Don't ask how I know this! And yes the Co did replace the pot. I recently picked up a vintage classic Dansk red enamel rectangular baker that I thought I might sell. My daughter didn't realize that and used it and we liked it a lot and it fits in my convection oven when little ELSE does apparently! Guess we are keeping that! The LAST thing I need is to go buy MORE cookware!!!!! But few things I own FIT in that oven! Excuses, excuses!!!!!!
  • Lisa Adams

Oh, yes! Thank you, Anna! That’s much more like what I had in mind. I see you’re in zone 10b. Are you in California like I am, or elsewhere? I’m so glad you posted your picture. How’s the fragrance on yours? Thanks, Lisa

• Anna

I am in California. The fragrance is very warm sweet and fresh apple and peach like. Not lemony at all. I love it !

Lisa Adams thanked Anna
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I love that color. Kinda looks like Boscobel in one if its coral moods.

Lisa Adams thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Anna

Oh, and the color it absolutely not orange! Here is the pic of my orange hibiscus and SM one the right side.

Lisa Adams thanked Anna
  • Krista_5NY

Sweet Mademoiselle is new to my garden this year. I'm looking forward to seeing it in bloom! Thank you for posting pics.

• Lisa Adams

Excellent! You’ve made me feel so much better, Anna. Thanks very much. I’m usually such a “plop ‘em in where I have space” person, considering height and sun more than color coordination. I usually do alright, because I stick with pink, white, lavenders, and variations of those colors. Lately, I’ve been trying to add some yellow and a touch of coral, because I do have some apricot roses. I was already nervous about adding Boscobel to this area. I thought Boscobel would be the brightest rose I’d ever have, but when I saw Sweet Mademoiselle’s buds I about had myself a myocardial infarction right there! For once I plan something out so carefully, instead of my usual mishmash and I get screaming orange?!?! I’m very glad to hear from Mary, and actually SEE that yours Anna, are just fine. It also makes me happy to know you’re in So CA, too. It’s not like you have tons of rain or humidity to affect the color. Your temps are very similar to mine. I fell much better about my combo of (over a long stretch) Abraham Darby, Princesse Charlene de Monaco, Sweet Mademoiselle, a second PCDM, Boscobel in front, and Moonlight Romantica. You’ve been SO helpful! Lisa

• Anna

You are welcome Lisa. I am glad I could help. You have a great rose selection in your garden!

Lisa Adams thanked Anna
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

For reference/comparison photo, here is my Boscobel when its more coral pink. Sometimes its more pink than coral. Boscobel also becomes less coral/orange as the bloom ages.

Maybe SM mellows as the bloom ages as well?

Do the blooms on SM also vary in tone?

Coral toned Boscobel

Pink toned Boscobel- on the same plant a few days apart.

• Lisa Adams

I love Your Boscobel, Sultry! Mine bloomed in the pot before planting, so it was under lattice on the patio. It arrived with two buds. The blooms I had were pretty dark, but still pleasant, to my eye. I’m eagerly awaiting to see what my next Boscobel blooms look like, now that its planted out in full sun.

My first Sweet Mademoiselle bloom has fully opened! It IS more coral/orange than I’d like, and more so than in Anna’s pictures. I’m guessing it will lighten up as the bush matures.

Here she is today. Lisa

• Lisa Adams

The same bloom shown above, today.

It’s definitely way more pink looking today. It does have a much warmer tone than I’m accustomed to, as I normally stick with cool pastels.

The other roses nearby give the area a kind of a sherbet look. I’m anxious to see how everything looks once they grow, and Boscobel gets tall enough to be noticed. Lisa

• SoFL Rose z10

That’s how mine looked. Very Neón Coral. I was a bit meh about it. I’m keeping it thus far because it seems to rebloom quickly. But it’s already got some black spot this early in the season. If it defoliates completely mid summer it’s a goner.

Lisa Adams thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • totoro z7b Md
    last year
    How was the rest of the season for you guys who had SM last year? Blackspot? Coral tones?
    Modestgodess, curious how your experience was as we are near each other.
    Lisa Adams thanked totoro z7b Md
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I am thinking of ordering Sweet Mademoiselle. Personally I don't mind a bright color so that is not an issue.

What's the consensus on this rose ?

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I think that I have read enough to pass on Sweet Mademoiselle .

I decided to order Leonardo da vinci instead.

• needmorerose_va_zone8

Kristine, I have six Sweet Mademoiselle and its their third year in the garden now. They are reliable performers with very fragrant blooms last 5+ days in the vase. Disease resistance has been decent for my hot and humid zone 8 receiving only afternoon sun from approx. noon to 6 pm. Handsome foliages too. If you like deep-cup blooms they are certainly more cupped than many other Romantica varieties including Francis Meilland or Bolero or Orchid Romance. I would recommend this cultivar with no hesitation.

Lisa Adams thanked needmorerose_va_zone8
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Oh, for a minute I thought somebody planted Sweet Madmoiselle back into Lisa’s yard, after all that effort to re-gift her. 😂 She is Fruitcake Romantica, everyone gets her and gives her away.

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • rosecanadian

Fruitcake Romantica...love the description!!!

Lisa Adams thanked rosecanadian
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ben you crack me up. Although that would have been a great April fool's joke to have replanted Sweet Mademoiselle back at Lisa's house.

This sounds like one of those roses that you like or you really really don't. I am taking no chances.

This newly discovered spot is between Memorial day and Earth Angel so garish just won't work

Thanks for the laugh

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

OMG Kristine, what a great idea! Someone like Lilyfinch ,who is local, could plant Sweet Madmoiselle back into Lisa’s yard for April Fools. I seem to remember some stranger has already planted some perennial into Lisa’s front yard.

I planted SM into my neighbors yard, it was her first rosebush ever so she is not so discriminating , and she loves her Fruitcake Romantica! Here’s a pic of Sweet Madmoiselle in her garden:

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • Lisa Adams

Lol! My Sweet Mademoiselle is gone, gone, gone! Some of you may remember that I sang “Ding Dong, The Witch is Dead, The Witch is Dead.....” Mine was a tolerable color in her spring flush, and HORRIBLY garish the rest of the year. I couldn’t get anyone to take her home, so she finally went to the great nursery in the sky. (As far as I’m concerned, she belongs in the OTHER place, to torture the lost souls there:) I couldn’t stand mine, despite the wonderful fragrance, abundance of blooms, and healthy plant. I don’t remove many roses, but once one has offended me too many times, I nearly obsess over it. It’s like I can’t help myself. Every time I looked at the backyard, Sweet Mademoiselle seemed to be taunting me with her lurid colors. I likened her color to an artificially flavored and colored kids candy, and my eyes were drawn to her every single day. She was in a tough spot for me to get to, and I couldn’t remove her myself. I finally had one of my sons remove her. Thankfully, all the Dr. Huey rootstock came out as well.

Now that I think about it, perhaps that spot is where the “orange offenders” end up. I once “accidentally” ordered ‘Louise Clements’. (Long story, but I ordered LC from my hospital bed after something was put in my IV. I was so confused that I thought I had found the elusive ‘Augusta Louise’ on Heirloom Roses site.) I was so upset with myself about ordering Louise Clements that I neglected it in its band size container. That rose just wouldn’t die! I later potted her into a larger container out of pity. Fast forward 5 months, and I had a helper remove a 60 foot long hedge of Texas privet. He turned the length of it into a raised bed for my roses. On planting day, I set them all out in the order I wanted them planted. Somewhere near the end of planting day, I needed to go inside to rest for about 30 minutes. I thought to myself, what could go wrong? I had buckets of my prepared mixture by each hole, and had demonstrated exactly how each of the remaining roses should be planted. It had been a hard day for me, helping and preparing everything. When I came back outside from my little rest, I nearly dropped the tray of water, ice, and fruit that I was carrying out for him. He had finished, and was eager to show me how nicely it turned out. HOWEVER, there was an extra rose planted in the raised bed. I asked him about it, and he stated that there was “too much empty space in that spot”. He went on to explain how he’d looked through all my potted roses and had chosen “the most beautiful rose you have.” How he found Louise Clements hidden away in the side yard, I’ll never know. There were plenty of other roses he could have chosen from, that were far more accessible. Many were on the patio, just feet away from where he was working. He was so eager for my approval that I just couldn’t burst his happy bubble. I expressed my gratitude and joy for the beautiful job he’d done. Louise Clements was in the exact same spot that Sweet Mademoiselle was eventually planted. Maybe that spot is doomed. Lol

I’m truly glad some of you are happy with Sweet Mademoiselle. I just couldn’t stand the site of her neon orange blooms after her spring flush. My roses bloom nearly year-round, so that’s way too long to see blooms I can hardly bear to look at.

This arrangement contains Sweet Mademoiselle buds from her first flush of the season. I gave them to my mom when my parents came over for Mother’s Day lunch. Sweet Mademoiselle was at her best.

I know the photo below doesn’t look that bad. I must have posted the most sickening colored pictures directly to a post, or deleted them.

I admit that I’m being extremely hard on this rose. I tried to like it. I really did.

I even planted zinnia seeds in colors that I thought might help SM blend in. I just couldn’t like her. I love Princess Charlene de Monaco. I had expected Sweet Mademoiselle to be a pinker, slightly coral version of Princess Charlene de Monaco. In MY garden, she most certainly was not. Lisa

• Lisa Adams

Oh my goodness! Kristine and Ben’s comments came in while I was busy with my lengthy story! I’m laughing like crazy at the thought! It would be QUITE the surprise to find Sweet Mademoiselle back in my garden again. You guys might as well add Louise Clements while you’re at it. That would really top it off! Lisa

• Lisa Adams

You’re right Ben. Someone planted an echinacea out front in the row of roses along the park entrance. I can’t believe it’s still going strong. It’s not a color I particularly like, but I keep imagining someone who lives in an apartment with nowhere to grow anything planting it. I also imagine them coming to walk their dog and admiring “their” plant each time. Call me sappy, but I don’t have the heart to remove it. I can’t believe it’s been thriving there for several years now. The rose behind the mysterious echinacea is Bolero. Since many dogs jump out of the car and immediately lift a leg on the first plant they encounter, I figure the echinacea is taking the heat off Bolero. Just say’n.

• BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

That coneflower does indeed resemble a flowery fire hydrant! I’m sure every doggie would prefer it to Bolero, it probably looks so good because of frequent ‘fertilization’. Even as you were detailing how you got rid of Sweet Madmoiselle, Kristine and I were scheming to get her back in your yard. Along with Louise Clements, you’re just destined to have these gaudy jewels!

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Lisa, you're singing Ding Dong The Witch is Dead

Ben and I are singing The Cat Came Back The Very Next Day

This could be a great Stephen King novel , the rose that keeps reappearing

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Lol! This was hilarious! I was reading the thread without realizing it was from last year...and thinking, “hmmm...I thought SM was the garish rose Lisa got rid of? I guess it was a different garish rose...” Then it was deja vu all over again. And I was wondering why would she pick another one just as loud? Lol! And Ben, you have a great sense of humor! This made me laugh tonight, so thanks!! 😊

Lisa Adams thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Diane Brakefield

Lisa, I sang the same song when I dug out Princess Alexandra of Kent, a monster bent on taking over the entire rose bed she was planted in. It took me two days. PAoK was a ghastly coral with very few petals in the heat of the summer--a totally different look from spring. As for your coneflower, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't planted itself. I have coneflowers all over my garden, and haven't planted a one of them. They aren't so bright as yours and fit in pretty well in many spots--if not out they go. By the way, your advice is needed in the Evelyn thread above. I was thrilled to see this person needing the advice is named Jemma, my granddaughter's name. It's almost never spelled with a "J", but always a "G". Ben and Kristine, you are one hilarious pair. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I was laughing too, and once I began reading I couldn't stop even though I knew it was an older thread. I wonder what non-gardeners would think about this agonizing over a rose that most would think was pretty nice. However, I so totally understand, and I'm sure I'm not alone. My big "thing" was always making sure the roses wouldn't clash with the scenery and nature-planted hillsides, so anything even close to garish was strictly verboten. Soft and even softer colors were the order of the day, although I allowed Rose Delizy to stay since it was a beloved antique rose. If I were to do it again it would also be on the verboten list. In light of recent events these seem like such small and innocent concerns.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I think my most hideous rose was Dick Clark .Some blooms started out looking pretty good but eventually turned in to a muddy putrid red

I really wanted to like it because the catalogue picture was so pretty.

It got the shovel and I ordered Double Delight which I should have gotten to begin with

I originally resurrected this thread thinking that I may need one more rose and this could be the one. But after Lisa's glowing recommendation I decided to plant one that I already have coming. Thanks Lisa for saving my shovel from extra work, planting and removing

• rosecanadian

Ben - that fruitcake makes me drool. I love fruitcake. :)

Lisa - LOL LOL!!!! and again LOL LOL!!! Oh, and that bouquet that your mom is holding is utterly gorgeous!!! If I could do that...well...I don't know. LOL Wow!!!

Kristine - the cat came back...oh my goodness!!!!! Soooo funny!!!

This is a great thread to bring one's mood up!!!

Lisa Adams thanked rosecanadian
  • Lisa Adams

Thanks Carol! I really love making arrangements from my own flowers. That’s why I’m always growing so many things at once. This thread really did give me a much needed laugh in this time of anxiety. Funny thing is that Sarah JUST brought up the whole story after she saw the thread about some people not liking orange roses. We had a good laugh about my “orange rose misadventures” just last week.

I laughed about Ben’s “Fruitcake Romantica” and his hilarious April fools suggestion. Kristine, your “Cat came back, the very next day”, comment had me laughing like crazy too. That’s what I should have been singing when Javier planted ‘Louise Clements’ back in my rose bed! I mean, what are the odds he’d choose the only rose I truly despised? I must say that I didn’t quite feel like singing anything when I saw that Louise Clements had been planted in my long awaited new rose bed. It took everything in me to show only joy and enthusiasm. I’m sure he never could have imagined I’d have a rose here that I really despised. Some of my hatred towards Louise Clements was surely because I was so upset with myself for ordering her in my confused state. I went right to sleep after ordering LC, and forgot all about ordering her. I was just mortified when Louise Clements showed up within days of my release from the hospital.

Sweet Mademoiselle was a far more neon orange than Louise Clements. If I HAD to keep one of them...........boy, I don’t know. Sweet Mademoiselle’s color was far more offensive, but Louise Clements was a constant reminder of my haze of stupidity in the hospital. The fact that I foolishly thought I had found Augusta Louise made my ambivalence towards Louise Clements that much stronger.

Speaking of Augusta Louise, I hate to say that my AL has been blooming in a rather lurid orange. I don’t see any of the beautiful pinks shown in Diane’s pictures. My AL is in a container, so I can easily gift her to Jen (Lilyfinch) if she doesn’t improve her colors.

I SO remember your PAoK, Diane. I’m SO impressed that you were able to remove it yourself. The picture of her root system was incredible. I know I don’t have the strength to do something like that. You’re in amazing shape, Diane.

I really don’t think the coneflower came in on its own. I’ve tried to grow a few out back, but they behave like annuals here. I never see them again after winter. I don’t know if they require colder winter temps, or what. They aren’t seen growing anywhere around these parts, so we must be lacking something they need. I’d given up on coneflowers, after losing them all, and zero self seeding. The fact that the “Miss Wilmott’s” coneflower was surrounded by a perfect circle of little succulents also convinced me it was secretly planted there. I slowly helped the succulents disappear when I saw that they were trailing ice plants. I will read the post on Evelyn, Diane. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I haven’t been keeping up with the forum as much as usual lately.

Ingrid, I knew you’d understand my feelings towards this rose. You’ve shown me countless times how much we think alike. I started my rose garden by studying what did well for you, and it has served me well. We both prefer softer colors, so it was easy for me to chose roses that did well for you. You really helped shape my garden. I only wish I had the space that you do! I know you two cherish your beautiful spot in the hills, as you should.

I’m glad I saved you some work, Kristine! I’m also glad to have had a small part in bringing a laugh to my friends when we could all use it. Lisa

• Sarah Shoffner

This thread is hilarious! I’m ready to jump on the bandwagon and give Lisa a drive by fruiting! I’m thinking I replant Louise Clements right next to Evelyn in your backyard. And SM would look great nestled in by your boleros out front😹 That way whether you’re out front or in the backyard you can catch a glimpse of your orange beauties! Or maybe the next time Javier comes to help I’ll slip him a “special rose” to surprise you with😹

Lisa Adams thanked Sarah Shoffner
  • Lisa Adams

NO Sarah! You’re dangerous! You know how to get in, and would know how to pull something like that off. Just keep this in mind. Since you’ve offered to come take care of me after my hip surgery (whenever things get going again), YOU would be the one removing any Fruitcake Roses that show up around here. Keep that in mind, my dear:) Lisa

• Diane Brakefield

Boy, Lisa, I don't know if I'd trust Sarah. "Drive by fruiting", indeed. I can see the fruitcake roses lined up right now next to Mel's Heritage. This could be a redo of Stephen King's "Misery", only for gardeners. But on to more serious topics....I agree with Carol that the bouquet you made for your mother is exquisite, Sweet M or not. I wonder how I could get a cutting of Augusta Luise to you later this summer--I'd have to sneak it by the Ag authorities. Probably not a good idea, but it would be a way to see if the cutting produced a better color bloom for you. Looking at your bright coneflower photo, I can see how it looks like one of the newfangled hybrids, not the "free" kind growing around here. You've got some odd neighbors--I'd keep an eye on them. If you want, I can send you some coneflower seed later, but I'm not sure you're a conehead like I am. But these plain coneflowers will not act like annuals. How is your Dara doing? I've still got seed for that and purple poppies. I hope you're able to have the surgery before too long. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • BenT (8a Dallas, TX)

Wonderful, we have a volunteer, thanks Sarah! Lisa....muahahaha

Lisa Adams thanked BenT (8a Dallas, TX)
  • rosecanadian

Lisa - I can't wait to see more of your bouquets!! Yes, thinking you're ordering the wonderful and glorious Augusta Luise...and being euphoric about it with fist pumping in the air...and then the drugs wear off....oh crap. LOL

Sarah - LOL! We're all enjoying this!!

Lisa Adams thanked rosecanadian
  • Diane Brakefield

i want a repeat of this, and she's lookin' good for blooming in about a month. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Lisa Adams

Oh Diane, she’s just incredible! My blooms have the ruffles, but that’s about it. Let me see if I saved a picture of my Augusta Luise. I know I sent a few to Lilyfinch, expressing my horror:)

Oh boy! I thought for a minute this was a picture of Sweet Mademoiselle when I came across it. I see that it can’t be SM, because it’s a very recent picture. Sweet Mademoiselle was long gone by the time I took this photo. What is it with that neon orangish color? I would blame it on my soil, but Sweet Mademoiselle was in the ground. My Augusta Luise is in a big pot with extra acid to keep her rootstock happy. As I scroll up and look at my bottom picture of Sweet Mademoiselle, Diane’s beautiful pictures of her Augusta Louise, and my picture of my Augusta Luise above, I’m shocked. Diane’s are gorgeous, while both of mine are the same horrible neon color. What’s up with that? Do yours ever look like my picture of my Augusta Luise bloom, Diane? I kinda doubt you’d put up with that color.

This is to be continued. I’m afraid of losing it when I set it down.

PS. Diane, Sarah is an experienced “drive byer”. She and my Ingrid perfected it in high school. Come to think of it, Ingrid ended up marrying the most frequent subject of their famous drive by trips! Lisa

• Diane Brakefield

Lisa, did your yard get papered by the above guilty parties? Thank you for your so nice comments on my Augusta. And yes, she comes up with the above color at times. I don't mind it all--her blooms are all over the map in color. And the bloom color you show is lovely, I think. I would try planting her in the ground, though, to see what kind of changes might occur. Also, the bloom color seems to be influenced by what part of the season it is, and how far along a bloom is--earlier can be lighter or darker and then change as the bloom matures. It's pretty unpredictable. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield

Darker..lighter, I don't care. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian

Oh, Diane!!!!! Truly beyond belief!!!! Truly!!! If I had that in my yard, I'd lay down on the grass afraid I was hallucinating and about to pass on over to the other side!!! Honestly, woman...you can grow tremendous roses!!!!!!

Lisa Adams thanked rosecanadian
  • Diane Brakefield

Thank you!!! So do all of you, and under some challenging conditions. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • rosecanadian

:) :) Thanks, Diane!

Lisa Adams thanked rosecanadian
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Ok. So this thread is like "the song that never ends"

But I saw some pictures that Kenneth posted of Sweet Mademoiselle and I think that I have changed my mind about ordering it

Talk about double minded.

• Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22

It’s so funny to see that I’m not the only one that struggled with the color of this rose. I’m so torn about this rose... I adore the fragrance... it’s probably at the top 2 favorite roses I’ve smelled in my whole life... it scent reminds me for a sweet ripe peach scent. The shape of the blooms are lovely and the plant it look nice and full. I saw it in bloom at Rogers Garden and would have immediately brought it home with me... had it not been for the color. And it’s not even that I dislike the color... I think it might have just a touch too much orange in it to play well with the whites, blues, lavenders and pinks roses/flowers I’m currently growing. Here are a few pics I snapped of Sweet Mademoiselle.

Lisa Adams thanked Ann-SoCalZ10b SunStZ22
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Well, I took the plunge a d ordered Sweet Mademoiselle

We will see what color I get here

• Lisa Adams

I really do hope you like her, Kristine! I‘m still glad mine is gone. Be ready for a very tall plant, much like Princess Charlene de Monaco. My SM did look pretty during her first flush, but after that I couldn’t stand her color. Funny that Boscobel is close to the same color, yet I’m happy with Boscobel. Boscobel is a smaller bush, so maybe that helps me like it better. No, actually Boscobel doesn’t have that artificial neon orange pink thing going on that I found so offensive in SM. They both smell wonderful, but SM was just lurid and rudely large in my garden. Maybe she’ll stay that softer color for you. I really hope you do enjoy her.

I have a funny story relating to this thread. I had intended to post about it, but life got crazy. Sarah did indeed do some dirty work for Ben and Kristine. I was absolutely shocked until I realized what (and who) had done such a thing. I’m going to submit this and then add a photo. I’ve had huge problems posting lately. Lisa

I went out front one day and saw some of the most lurid colors, ever! As I approached, I was thinking “I’m sorry, “mystery person.“ The coneflower is already pushing my limits. THIS orange mess can NOT stay! I soon saw that they were fake flowers. There was a note down inside .(Please excuse the weeds and crab grass. Bending over has been a problem for a while now. Hopefully, I’ll be able to get down on hands and knees again soon. )

I don’t know how Sarah did it without me noticing it. She lives 5 hours drive away! She stopped on her way further south and gifted me a “drive by fruitcake”. I’m glad removing this didn’t involve digging and hard work! Lisa

• Diane Brakefield

Ho,ho,ho, Lisa. Fake daffodils in August. What fun. I love it. And I love that you're posting and letting the old Lisa shine through. In a while, you will, indeed, be working in your garden on hands and knees. I'm glad my PAoK is gone, and if Kristine will just drive by, I have an Olivia Rose for her. No fruiting, Kristine. I hope temps are moderate for you, Lisa. I can hope. My orlaya has gone to seed, and I'm very pleased with it. Thanks again, my friend. I wish I'd done two sowings, but I'll bet I get tons more next year. Diane

Lisa Adams thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Lisa Adams
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

Diane, I’ve admired pictures of PAoK many times, but your story and pictures always brings me back to my senses! I know Olivia is a rose loved by so many here. Somehow Olivia hasn’t reached out and touched that “I must have it” spot in my heart. I have seen some rather nice pictures of her lately, though. Pink roses have always been my weakness. I have so many shades of pink, but I try to add other soft colors for variety. A bright neon orange isn’t the sort of variety I want. I was incredibly confused for a moment when I came outside and saw those fake daffodils out there. I was moving the hose, letting it drip by each rose in that row along the park entrance. I had been out there just 40 minutes earlier, and wondered how I could have possibly missed seeing them. Sarah told me later that she was sure I’d catch her in the act when she saw the hose dripping by a rose there. It was really funny! I’m glad your Orlaya did well! I had loads that I wanted to thin out, but the gophers did it for me. I still have plenty in other areas. Most of mine has gone over to seed now. In earlier years, I found that I could keep them going for quite a while as long as I kept picking them. The plants in afternoon shade lasted much longer than the ones in full sun. I’m finding much of the same behavior with the Dara plants.

I’m finally starting some quick annual flowers to add to the garden. I know it’s late, but it often remains hot until mid-November. I figured I might as well start some in containers on the patio where I can keep a close enough eye on them. Direct sowing is much easier, but in this heat I’d loose track of some and they’d perish in a single ”down” day. Hopefully I won’t be having any more of those days. I’m just still so tired.

I’m slowly getting better, but the emphasis is on SLOWLY. I never expected to heal so slowly and still require home physical therapy at 5 weeks post-op. I thankful that the days of regretting ever having messed with it seem to be over. I can’t wait to have full strength and use of it again. Millie has finally forgiven me for using that scary walker. She wanted nothing to do with me, even when it was parked out of sight.

My Augusta Luise is VERY tall, and very bright. The blooms last an impressive amount of time, even in the hot dry heat we’re having. It’s very sunny and bright outside, but I’ll see if I can take a picture to show her current colors. Nope! It’s way too bright out yet.

I’ll take a picture of Boscobel. Boscobel is shorter, so I can avoid the sun better. Lisa