Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_green62

Need advice on updating the exterior of a late 90s home.

Steve Green
5 years ago

We would like to update the exterior of our home to bring it into more current times style. Our initial thoughts were: new door, change shutter, or no shutters at all, paint the red brick, and we are not sure about the large window above the front door.

any thoughts??

thanks!

Comments (27)

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I would never paint brick it changes from maintenance free to something that may look good for awhile but would need to be repainted. don't go there. I do like shuttered but the pale blue dates the house the most and should be changed to a darker color for more contrast (burgundy, Navy, black?) its a beautiful house

• stevecindyb
    5 years ago
    Remove shutters from the brick facade, but leave them on the stone. Paint trim and shutters a dark color, such as navy, dark grey or black.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

Paint the pink brick to blend with the stone. Darken the shutters to charcoal, ditto the trim around the front door. Done. Nothing more needed.

• awm03
    5 years ago

Just curious, what do you think is uncurrent about this style?

• PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    5 years ago

The pink brick make that space look empty and large and divides the house therefore paint to match the stone. The metal door could be painted but I would consider an Arts and Craft wood door to give it more substance and presence..The window above it is very busy and is dominating, a smaller window is needed. The trim on the Gables blend in too much, they need to be darker to a darker gray. Charcoal was mentioned. Shutters are a difficult feature. They need to look functional or at the least have some detail. I would look for some that have details similar to the front door and look at shutter dogs and hinges. Good luck!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Remove all the shutters they do not belong on most of the windows anyway and in this case the pinkish brick really looks pink next to the stone so I would paint it a darker shade of the the stone. Get a new front door that does not have the fancy glass just plain , remove the topiary type tall tree from the left.

• Steve Green
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All great feedback, thanks so much!

On the pink brick, would I be able to just match the stone right near the front door or so I need to continue on to all the brick?! The brick wraps all around back as you prob guessed!

I agree, we are buying a new front door, arts and craft style.

Thanks again!
  • Marti Lowder
    5 years ago
    German schmear the brick with a tone that complements the stone. Paint shutters darkest grey in stone.

Update landscaping

Beautiful home

Pin Oak trees in front yard for estate look
  • Steve Green
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks Marti, I like the German Schneiter idea.

Questions

1. Would I need to schmear the whole house where the brick exists?
    2. Is schmear the same as lime washing? What is the difference?
    3. How much would it cost, ballpark, to apply schmear to the whole house?

Thanks!
  • jbtanyderi
    5 years ago
    Put a large, dramatic chandelier behind that window to light both the hall and the front porch. Put up WIDER shutters painted a strong colour. Cover the brick with clapboard the same colour as the renewed shutters: that would mark it as having been an initial expansion between the two stone-faced sections.
  • Robin
    5 years ago
    Make it simple. Do it in steps!
    Paint the shutters a charcoal grey.
    Stain the door the same color and have new glass installed in the doors. Solid sheets of glass will make it very modern. Remove the wreath. That's making it busy.
    Beautiful home that only needs a few tweaks.
    I believe that will be all you need to do to the house.
    Later, update the landscape.
    Then, add two dark and large pots for each side of the step for color. Do a darker pink to match the brick.
    Best of luck to you.
  • Marti Lowder
    5 years ago
    Hi, Steve!

I looked up the definition to keep it short:

The German Smear is a mortar wash technique. Instead of paint, you smear mortar mixed with cement over the brick to white it out. Unlike paint or lime, mortar does not penetrate the brick but instead covers it and creates texture.Aug 23, 2017

This can have as much coverage (or as little) as you please! I LOVE it on brick! I have not seen the technique applied to stone. I am not sure of the area in which you live, but I am sure you can find a contractor or painter who does this technique. I would DEFINITELY get references AND see the work in person, of course.

I FEEL certain that when you get the brick color closer in color to the stone the home will appear even larger. When the shutters are painted, and larger landscaping done on the right front, it will be an even more magnificent looking home!
  • awm03
    5 years ago

I think the house needs some contrast and fuller landscaping (which also helps add color and contrast). Here it is with a darker roof, darker shutters on the single windows, more plants, and a less fussy door. The pink brick was neutralized (research "staining brick" to see if this is feasible.) Add some landscape lighting for both night drama and practicality (that walkway is probably too dark at night).

• awm03
    5 years ago

This roof is more of a dark brown (driftwood? barkwood?). I think it works better with the limestone than a charcoal roof would.

• Marti Lowder
    5 years ago
    Last time to bother you, Steve;

If you feel very daring, here is a good look at some “irregular” brick that has been painted. . .it may give you an idea of what paining the stone AND the brick will do.
  • PRO
    Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
    5 years ago

I'd pull the red tones of your front door and brick by using that color as a theme. You could go with a deeper shade too. Remove the shutters mounted against your red brick and instead, add taller blooming shrubs in these spaces. Paint doors, remaining shutters, and large window surround above front door in same. You could also add Red Maple tree/s to front lawn.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I think the house could benefit from charcoal trim. I haven't got the brick quite right. It should be a gray wash, not solid gray, but you get the idea. i would strip the front door and eliminate the burgundy glaze on the door. if $$ were no object, I would select a more simple door with sidelights without all that leaded glass

• awm03
    5 years ago

Beverly, that is beautiful. Nice job!

• Steve Green
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My wife loved that Beverly , how are you all drawing that? Can I paint our windows like that . Would love to not have to buy new ones!
  • suezbell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Not a fan of the narrow blue shutters; otherwise, your home is really nice as is, including the unpainted front door. Wider black shutters would be worth considering.

I have a prejudice in favor of large front porches so adding one would, in my opinion, be an improvement; however, I'm not so sure adding one would actually "update" your home -- (more likely make it more comfortable traditional).

Adding the right portico could be an update.

• teaparty4u
    5 years ago
    We have multiple entry doors? Should all the doors be the same color?

Please excuse color palette testing in the middle of doors
  • Steve Green
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    All, if I German schmear, paint, stain, lime wash, etc the front of the house , am forced to do the brick all the way around the house too??
  • awm03
    5 years ago

Yes, keep the brick color consistent all the way around.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Brick can be stained rather than painted.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

You can paint the windows, and if you have grids in the windows that are removable, they can be spray painted. What is your situation? There is a paint for that and painters that will do it.

Just remember to select a soft color like charcoal below and NOT black which IMO would be too dark.

There are videos showing how to German SMEAR, not SCHMEAR.

Stained brick before and after see below.

• Steve Green
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Beverly , what would it cost to hire someone to German smear the house? Ballpark.

Who would you even hire to do that?