Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ac91z6

Help me make up my mind on matching up climbers!

ac91z6
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

This is a long post guys, I'll apologize right off.

I'll post a pic of my obelisks when I get home, but they're square, welded rebar, 6 1/2' tall (from the ground up, they've got legs that will be buried), with 1 ft wide sides. I'm going to be creating beds on the south and north sides of my house, with the back of the beds at the property lines. The first two towers on the north side will be fairly visible from the road, so I need the best disease resistance there. Same for the first tower on the south. My plan is to put two climbers on each tower, and smaller roses at their base.

I've got places to put climbers that don't make it into the tower beds, and even some places for any of these that won't work for an obelisk in my zone.

I'm in North MO, a cold z6. Our summers get hot (August sees more than a few 100+ days) and it's humid enough to be uncomfortable for people. We don't get much for snow cover, and we regularly get subzero winter temps (rarely outside of the z6 range of -10, but it does happen). And the wind - being in town helps, and I do have a row of cedar trees (limbed up) on the back of my property to provide a windbreak.

Both sides will get full sun, but! The north will get morning sun only, indirect sun until about 2-3, and then some shade. The south will get indirect sun until about 10, then direct afternoon sun from 12 until about 2 or 3, then shade. The north will have more protection from the wind (I've got a shed to the west, and my neighbor's garage is to the north).

I've got a few parings in mind (having changed my mind several times), but I'd like second opinions. What I'm looking for on each obelisk:

-At least one scented rose on each

-No more than one thorn monster to a tower (I'm looking at you, Kordes). Preferably every thorny climber gets matched with a low or no thorn one.

-Double bonus points!-At least one climber with hips and/or fall color (I know this is stretching it, but if any of mine would work I'd take that into account)

And now, the current list of climbers (because every one of us knows we always buy more roses)

Honeymoon

Florentina

Lady of Shalott

Crown Princess Margareta

The Pilgrim and Viking Queen (currently planning on putting these together, north side)

Golden Gate and Raspberry Cream Twirl (these two are going together, on the south side)

Pink Don Juan

Pretty in Pink Eden

Lavender Crush

Dakota Redwing

Royal Jubilee

Wedgewood Rose

Excellenz von Schubert (the hybrid musk, not the polyantha)

My current plans are putting CPM with Florentina and Viking Queen with The Pilgrim, for the north. Golden Gate with Raspberry Cream Twirl and Pink Don Juan with Honeymoon for the south.

I'm planning on getting 'Reine des Violettes' next year, 'Wedding Garland' will likely be getting a try in my yard (if Heirloom ever puts in on sale), and Kordes has a white climber 'Alaska' that got a US patent in April of 2017, so I think it will turn up here soon - 'Alaska' on HMF

Any opinions? Besides 'you're a lunatic to try this', that is. I already know that!

EDIT: a little more detail on the winter temps and the obelisks added.

Comments (65)

• User
    5 years ago

ac91... my obelisks are about the same measurements as yours, square box shaped 1 foot wide, but I buy the taller options about 7.5 - 8 feet tall and plant them about 1 foot deep - no concrete necessary at that depth - which leaves me with about 6.5 - 7 foot above ground... I do have some smaller about 4 - 5 foot above ground too.

It's important for me to avoid any roses that are specifically 'climbers', I grow shrub roses trained differently as short climbers.. I try not to let too many canes grow bolt upright, but bend them somewhat around the support. It takes patience and with thorny roses, you need care, but I find it a most enjoyable process.. inevitably canes will cross and rub a bit, I try to minimise that..

'Royal Jubilee' does have thorns, not excessive by any means but they are there..

The foliage is beautiful, it has Alba heritage apparently.. I no longer have it as I had to start again due to building work on my property, and all had to come down in that area, so my obelisks are back now but with new roses mainly... I miss 'RJ' and want to find another spot for it.. it's too good to be without totally..

I completely agree, it's a good way to get lots of roses in a small garden, that's one of the reasons I do it. If I grew them all as freestanding shrubs, I would only have room for half the number I have... I don't spray, don't water except first year, and get little disease, until around July/August time but I can deal with that. My roses are chosen with this in mind... it's time consuming, but at my age I have the time right now...[sometimes I wish I didn't]...

Incidentally, that beautiful white rose shown by RosTom on HMF - spectacular, but I wonder looking at it, if he has at least 2 roses the same variety planted there. Looking at the base it looks like it to me. Good way to get that full look...

ac91z6 thanked User
  • User
    5 years ago

Witchygirl makes a good point in that it's good to plant perhaps more than you need in case you don't like one of them, you can take it out, but still leave the others in place.. I always overplant for this reason..

Cori Ann in California has nice obelisks which I think she supports with rebar and grows all sorts of things up them. I have made a mistake or two with clematis by choosing types not vigorous enough to cope with the roses, and they get a bit lost, but I garden cottage style, so also incorporate a climbing vegetable on an obelisk. Here you can see the purple flowers just opening of climbing French bean 'Blauhilde' with 'Generous Gardener' rose.. this is a fun thing to do...

ac91z6 thanked User
  • chris2486
    5 years ago

I wish I had time to send you some images but I am on my way out of town. I have Florentina on a wall with a 3 foot wide trellis and it is easy to grow this way. After 4 years it is 3 feet wide and about 8 feet tall. Yes I also have it growing on a fence and trained it as a fan. It is more how you peg the canes and prune the rose that dictates the form. It is great rose with beautiful glossy foliage.

I would recommend Honeymoon for an obelisk. I am looking out my window at a Honeymoon that is about 9 feet tall. Again I have grown shaped as a fan and also as a narrow climber. It is a beauty. This year I have planted Heavenly Blue morning glories into a row of Honeymoon on a fence. I think the combination should be stunning when they all start blooming.

I would not recommend Golden Gate as it is far to vigorous for an obelisk.

Less vigorous climbers I would recommend for an obelisk would be Quicksilver and Tangerine Skies. Another possibility for your obelisk is Jasmina.

Your plan sounds wonderful Good luck!

ac91z6 thanked chris2486
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

I'm a zone colder than you but I can give you some feedback about hardiness and size for these. I've grown all of these but the Wedgewood Rose. Here are my thoughts:

Roses not remotely hardy in zone 5, likely no bigger than shrubs in zone 6:

Pink Don Juan

Raspberry Cream Twirl (the south side will help this one being a little warmer, but I still doubt it would climb much for you).

Root hardy but short in zone 5 or protected to zone 6:

Dakota Redwing

Excellenz von Schubert (surprisingly - never gets much above 3-4')

(maybe) Golden Gate - I've been surprised that I can't overwinter this one in two tries so the jury is out so far

Only root hardy so far but too young to see if they'll climb

Lavender Crush

Royal Jubilee

Honeymoon (given the feedback on this one I think 6' is optimistic)

Pretty in Pink Eden

Reliably root hardy but not cane hardy and recover to climb maybe 5-6'

The Pilgrim and Viking Queen

Crown Princess Margareta - this one never has surviving cane unless we have reliable snow cover and without surviving cane it never survives. It winds beautifully around an obelisk by mid-summer but I've only once seen bloom in about 8 years. Rebecca has gorgeous pictures of hers from zone 4, but she has reliable snow cover.

The only ones that are reliably cane hardy in zone 5, and therefore likely to be your biggest in zone 6 would be:

Lady of Shalott - but mine has shown zero inclination to climb. It's a respectable 4' bush but mature enough that if it were going to climb it would. Mine is in my virtual zone 4 pocket so that might decrease its size, but this one might be bigger in your zone

Florentina - this is by far the most robust hardy climber on your list so give it your biggest support. Chris definitely knows her Kordes roses, so it can be trained to an obelisk if you want it to do so. Given how many of your climbers are likely to be short though, I'd put a shorter one like Honeymoon on the obelisk and use a larger structure for Florentina.

That means that you can combine the short unlikely to climb roses at the base of your structures as tall shrubs in front of the roses that actually climb your structures, if you like that look. I like Marlorena's and Witchygirrl's suggestions to combine two roses that are likely climbers on larger structures, and in my zone I stretch that further because so few of them will actually climb.

The only place that hasn't worked for me as well as intended has been the combination of Sunrise Sunset and Illusion on the same large arch. Sunrise Sunset (supposedly a 2-3' groundcover rose) absolutely SWAMPS the arch and is my biggest climber that partially shades out Illusion along the way. Even Quadra isn't as big though it blooms longer into the summer, and Quadra shares an arch reluctantly well well Eden that only blooms once if I'm lucky and tops out at 6-7' in a good year.

I would suggest if you want them to climb that you'd place the reliably climbers first by the size of structures that suit them, then arrange the other marginal climbers near them for support by color or other considerations secondarily.

Cynthia

ac91z6 thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Does 'Honeymoon' simply top out at 6 ft, or does it die back? If it just tops out but would be hardy then it could go on the north, but if it dies back then it needs a spot on the south. Would 'Quicksilver' be hardy to go on the north side? I've heard mixed reviews as to it's hardiness. Would it be hardy enough on the south for an obelisk by itself?

And I forgot to list her in the initial post, but I've also got 'Ilse Krohn Superior', if anyone knows anything about her.

I have a spot (on the west side of my metal shed) that I can put a tower. I could put another tower on the corner of that shed, and slip another rose or two on it - the shed is corrugated metal, so maybe some reflected heat would help a bit with winter survival. 'Golden Celebration' is in a spot that really needs a thornless rose, so that's a place that will free up for one of the less-hardy ones.

Cynthia, it's that winterkill factor that made me think of putting two roses on each tower, to get a decent display during our bloom season. Do you think I'd have better luck getting 'Lady of Shalott' to climb if I give it a support from the start? Everyone complains about those octopus arms and here I am hoping for them! How disease resistant is she for you? Based on reviews, I'm thinking of putting her on my north side, front tower.

My original plan was to put 'Golden Gate' on the south side of the house, so I could still do that and put 'Raspberry Cream Twirl' there too.

I got 'Lavender Crush' from Gilbert H Wild's sale, so it's just a quart size - could probably use a year to grow up before planting out.

It looks like I've got two towers figured out - Crown Princess Margareta on the front south and Lady of Shalott on the front north. 'Golden Gate' will go back to it's original plan on the wall, and something thornless/low thorn can join it.

I'll try PiPE on the north (but towards the back, more protected) based on Vaporvac's review. Someone on HMF in z5 MI has pics of 'Raspberry Cream Twirl' and reports no dieback, but it's against a fence and I don't know which side. I sent a PM but it looks like they haven't been on HMF in a year.

I'll waffle a bit longer on placing the others - 'Quicksilver' and 'Honeymoon' need to find spots first and I'll work around (or with) them.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

My Lady of Shalott is disease resistant as much as any Austins are and I expected it to be much taller than it is given the reports. The zone 4 spot probably keeps it shorter but I've never seen any smidgen of octopus arms from that one and other Austins in my zone show that trait. Now watch, this'll be the year she does so to prove me wrong - frankly I'm with you that I'd like that, I'm just not expecting it. She certainly could handle the relative chill on your north side just fine.

Among Honeymoon and Quicksilver, I'd give the edge on hardiness to Honeymoon, since it has started spring growth and Quicksilver is still pondering its next move. Both of them have entirely died to the ground in my zone so Honeymoon might have some surviving cane in yours, though perhaps not on your north side.

Ilse Krohn Superior hasn't survived more than one winter for me in multiple locations so she's likely to be another one that dies to the ground in your zone to regrow. She's supposed to be more hardy than that but I haven't seen that at all, and her height would depend on her hardiness I think.
    Cynthia

ac91z6 thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I have 2 Ilse Krohn Superior in the garden, will have to check them out. I want to mention that Pretty in Pink Eden is very pretty, the bloom size is big and long lasting.

ac91z6 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    5 years ago
    You will love Raspberry Cream Twirl, I have three! The canes are soft and pliable, thornless. The leaves growth is glossy and Apple green, so pretty. And the blooms and scent are abundant :)
    ac91z6 thanked Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

My 2 Ilse Krohn Superior are still alive in zone 6a. Not sure if they are going to climb up this year though, only on their 2nd year.

• Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    5 years ago
    I also have Pretty in Pink Eden, and Eden. Love them as well. Eden had zero die back on its 10ft tall cane it threw up last summer (you can see in pic 1) while my PIP Eden (pic 3) did have a little more diebackand some canes slower to leaf out but it's also in a more windy location. all those tall canes were thrown up last season and much taller than what I pruned them! Can't wait for summer to get here
  • Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    5 years ago
    PIP Eden last summer sorry the pic is blurry
  • ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ashley, your RCT has scent? Everything I've read says it's low/no scent - your yard must have good conditions for it! Sounds like PiPE would like a site with more wind protection, and for me that's the north side. I'll be taking a risk either side, hmm.

Summersrhythm, thanks for the feedback on IKS in our zone! I'm leaning towards putting this one on the south side of my shed with 'Dakota Redwing', on a shorter tower/support.

Speaking of supports, here's a pic of what my towers look like!

From the bottom cross-piece to the top they're 6 1/2 ft tall. Welded rebar, they're going to be painted (black or dark green are what I'm thinking) before they go into the ground.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Ac91, I love your rebar tower!

• Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    5 years ago

That will turn out great im sure! yes mine do have decent scent, its light and sweet. and they last a while in the vase and the bright magenta color changes to a more purple hue as the blooms age.

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

A sort-of update: the shrubs are gone! If we get a little rain to soften the ground I can get the obelisks up and start planting!

The current plan: 'Golden Gate' and 'Excellenz von Schubert' on the south side of my shed. 'Dakota Redwing' and 'Ilse Krohn Superior' around a small obelisk near (not too close to) GG. 'Raspberry Cream Twirl' will be joining 'Quicksilver' on the south side of the house, and 'Royal Jubilee' will be either taking the spot where 'Golden Celebration' currently is or (if it isn't less thorny than GC) joining 'Graham Thomas'. So they've all found other homes, leaving most of my towers with just one rose!

And since I posted last, I got 'White Cap' and 'Wedding Garland' from Heirloom. It's a sickness guys. I shouldn't be allowed to browse sale pages.

So for the towers: on the south I have 'Crown Princess Margareta' on the first (and most visible), 'Pretty in Pink Eden' on the second, 'Honeymoon' and 'Wedding Garland' on the third, and 'Pink Don Juan' and 'Reine des Violettes' (eventually, don't have her yet) on the fourth.

For the north: 'Lady of Shalott' on the first (most visible), 'White Cap' on the second, 'Florentina' to go on a trellis of sorts between tower #2 and #3, 'Brother Cadfael' on the third (kinda forgot about him, oops), 'Wedgewood Rose' and 'Etienne' (forgot about my poor gallica!) on the fourth.

Am I still on a track for the garden nuthouse or have I got it down to general rosemania?

• Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    5 years ago
    You're just getting started, welcome to the addiction. :)
  • Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    5 years ago
    I can't wait to see some updates later this season. Very exciting :)
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Excellenz von Schubert won't climb here in zone 6a, I had it for about 5-6 years. I bought White Cap and Wedding Garland last year, too early to tell. Pretty in Pink Eden can climb and re-bloom better than her Mom Eden. There is one beautiful climber called Dreamland from Palatine can climb in zone 6a, and it's almost hardy to the tips. also Kordes Laguna is a hardy climber with beautiful blooms. Keep collecting more! :-)

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

LOL, don't encourage me, Summersrhythm! Although I did go look up 'Dream Land' (HMF wouldn't find it as 'Dreamland' for some reason) and I'll have to keep an eye out for it from Palatine!

Do you think EvS would do better against a south wall? It's part-shade spot in summer but it gets full sun all winter. Hmm... Maybe 'Dakota Redwing' will go with GG, and EvS will match up with IKS instead.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    5 years ago

I believe there may be to Dreamland bred by two separate people with the same last name! It's the one from Canada that you want. I hope to get one this year.

ac91z6 thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

This is the one: https://palatineroses.com/rose/dream-land

My EvS is facing south by a deck. You could plant it in front of a climber being a skirt.

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

EVS stays that short? It would work for a skirt then, and will work especially well for going with GG as it's near thornless (and GG definitely isn't). I can leave 'Dakota Redwing' with IKS then - I like the red and white combo. 'Dream Land' will likely end up on a northern tower due to hardiness. How thorny is it? So that leaves GG alone on the (future) trellis...

This means I have space for one more climber, and a warm space at that! Which is good, because I'm sure something will become available or be introduced in 2019 that I fall in love with.

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We finally got enough rain to get the towers in the ground, and I've finally got all the roses by the ones currently set up. My phone didn't take a great picture, but here's 'Lady of Shalott' (actually planted a couple weeks ago), with 'Julia Child', 'Princess Elise', and 'Winter Sun' in that order on the front side. I've still got to put down cardboard and mulch, but this is half the job done!

5 years ago

Any updates? Did you end up getting Dakota Red Wing and Dreamland? I would love to see what you have done so far.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

I am sooo looking forward to seeing how your project turned out ). I love your idea of mixing all these roses. I noticed you asked regarding RCT scent. I have one on each side of an arch trellis. They have a very nice scent and rebloom is very good. My zone is warmer than yours, but I highly recommend this one. How is yours doing?

They were planted on June 2016 as bands.May 2018( the arch is around 9 feet). I have Cloud 10s growing with them also, but they haven’t been as vigorous.

December, 2018 and they have conquered that arch. They continued to bloom while growing. They are easy to work with (flexible and almost thornless), and the blooms are beautiful and fragrant. I can’t say enough good things.

ac91z6 thanked dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Geez o peets! I didn't realize the blooms were so huge! I thought I was done ordering climbers (with three exceptions),but now I need to do some heavy thinking. I wonder how this would look with Parade. Hmmm. P.S. Your house looks so charming. I'm a wee bit jealous. ; ))

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Vapor thank you :). The blooms are very substantial. There is also a great variation with some having almost a reverse effect. I am not familiar with parade but now I’ll have to look it up ;). May I ask what 3 climbing roses are you planning on getting? I am obsessed with climbing roses lol

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

So far I want: Lady of shalott, teasing Georgia, James Galway, laguna, quick silver, Eden and pink Eden and spirit of freedom. :) I’ll have to figure out where I would place them. I am looking forward to hearing back from the owner of this post regarding this project :).

5 years ago

OMG! I'm obsessed with them too! I am ordering Quicksilver but that's not one of the three. Those are EB LeGrice, Rhode Island red, and Dakota Red Wing. I also want Quadra and 12 DeLand. But those three are primary. Who's isn't letting me type. It keeps erasing it so it's not 12:00 DeLand but etoile DeLand. Of Holland that should be. Star of Holland. Stupid who's.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

I am not familiar with any of those and probably shouldn’t keep investigating and risk making my list longer. I’ll have to stop by helpmefind and just look anyway ;)

5 years ago

I'm glad you could understand what I was typing! Well I'm just talkin actually. who's won't let me type. EB Le Gris was highly recommended by Moses and it's only available through rvr. I also want to get orfeo and a few others but they never had them all available at the same time.

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Thank you! I hope the Houzz issues with the typing will go away soon.

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Finally getting to this - work has been crazy this week/weekend, but when I get home I'll see what photos I've got. I've got cardboard and mulch around all my towers. I did lose one climber (Pink Don Juan went downhill in our drought, despite extra water, but I plan to get a replacement plant next spring) and the south side doesn't look nearly as good as the north (surprising now, but we'll see how they look after winter!). I'll try to get some pictures posted tonight, and an update of what climbers went where, and with what.

Thanks for bringing this back up Vaporvac - I meant to post an update (and about the Halloween bed, oops...) and I really need to update my HMF garden listing. I'll see what pictures I can find - there's not much, as most of my roses didn't do much this year.

Dianela, 'Lady of Shalott' really impressed me - she almost doubled in size, shot one big cane out (which I want, because I'm hoping to use her as a climber), and gave me several blooms! I know I've got pics of her, I'll try to post them tonight or tomorrow!

5 years ago

Thanks ac91! Is that your name on HMF?

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It is! I haven't updated what I have since April, and as I wasn't updating until I had roses in the ground... I'm way behind, lol.

5 years ago

You are very good! I ad mine as soon as I order them. LOL! :-)

• Lisa Adams
    5 years ago

I remember this post! Ac91, I’m quite excited to see how everything is doing.

Dianela, your home, arch, and Raspberry Cream Twirls look absolutely wonderful! You couldn’t have found a more perfect arch for that spot. Do you know how wide your arch is? Where did you find it? I’m in love with your pic with the Christmas lights and the lushly covered arch in front of it. I’m with Vap, “a wee bit jealous”, just darling!

I’m looking forward to those pics when you have time, ac91. I’m also “a wee bit jealous” over your rebar towers. So nice and sturdy looking. I’m so tired of wimpy towers and trellises that can’t handle a real rose. Mine all claim they will, but not so. Nice job! Lisa

ac91z6 thanked Lisa Adams
  • dianela7analabama
    5 years ago

Aww Lisa thank you very much. I was having a difficult time finding an arch that was wide enough for that area, and my husband made that one for me. I am not certain how wide the arch is, but close to 8 feet or so. It certainly is difficult to find sturdy trellises.

ac91 thank you for being willing to share your project with us. I am very excited to see

how everything is turning out.

ac91z6 thanked dianela7analabama
    4 years ago

How are all of your climbers a year later, ac91?

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'll have to post a few pics when I get home tonight, but let's see... I lost 'The Pilgrim' to RRD this spring, unfortunately. I don't think I'll put roses back in that spot, as the way the wind whips around it's a deadfall for mites. I think it will be nice for a pyramidal holly on the corner, and maybe some groundcover raspberries or short blueberries or something.

On the south side towers 'Crown Princess Margareta' is hanging on, but not doing much in her current spot. If she doesn't improve this year, I'll move her to a tower with more sun.

'Pretty in Pink Eden' died to the ground, but came back alright. No blooms and just a couple feet tall so far, I'm hoping for more this year! I plan on getting another 'Pink Don Juan', and I'll probably put him here to go with PiPE's dark pink.

'Honeymoon' came back great after it's winter trim, and threw some flowers for me! 'Wedding Garland', on the same obelisk, was one of my least winter-pruned (a big surprise!) and bloomed a couple times for me! This one currently wants to sprawl more than climb, but it's only 2-3 feet tall so we'll see. I'm dithering a bit on if I really want two whites on a tower, but I hate to move them now!

I don't have anything on the last southern tower right now; 'Umbra' is overwintering in my garage, might go with that. Or move CPM there, and put 'Umbra' on the front one if CPM isn't liking that spot.

My 'Raspberry Cream Twirl' from Heirloom ended up being a mislabel (possibly 'Sky's the Limit') but the mislabel did bloom for me, even if it didn't grow much. 'Quicksilver' grew, and finally deigned to bloom for me! No scent to my nose, and more towards the pink it sometimes gets than lavender but it was summer.

'Teasing Georgia' went on the front of my house, and while she hasn't put on much size has been hardy and put out some spring blooms for me. She might get moved to CPM's spot for more sun, I'll see what this year brings.

For the first north towers, 'Lady of Shalott' gave me some lovely blooms, but didn't add much in size this year. Came through winter alright. If her disease resistance doesn't improve I'll move her to the back tower.

'Florentina' got moved to the second tower with 'White Cap' - they're both quite thorny so I may yet regret this! 'Florentina' (from ARE) gave me some blooms after moving, and I am so far really happy with 'White Cap' - lots of blooms, and I can smell them! The Japanese Beetles love her too; I'd say that WC, 'Poseidon', and 'Tupelo Honey' were their faves (last two aren't climbers), but those were also the ones that bloomed the most so IDK. I don't think they munched on 'Ruby Ice' as much as those three though. Both 'Florentina' and 'White Cap' set hips for me! None of my other obelisk climbers have (yet).

'Wedgewood Rose' is still alone on her tower; I might put my actually-RCT with her next year (replacement RCT came from Northland and had a bloom on it so I know it's the right one!). Bloomed quite a bit, I couldn't smell much, the beetles liked her too, but very pretty! I think she was another that didn't require a lot of winter pruning.

I've got 'Pirouette' and 'Charles Lefebvre, CL' coming from Palatine; I think Chuck is going on the last northern tower (north side but full sun, afternoon indirect/shade) and 'Pirouette' is going on the southernmost tower (half shade). I reeeeaaallly want 'Lady in Red', though I don't know where I'd put her - I don't think she'd match CL well enough, I could mix pink and red and put her with WR, I could move 'Honeymoon' and put her with WG, who knows. I'm leaving the second spot on the first northern obelisk for 'Cherry Frost' right now (don't have it yet, but that's the plan).

I'll try to post some pics when I get home tonight; I didn't take many as most of my roses didn't do much this year but I know I've got a few!

4 years ago

Wow! What a story! I can't wait for pics. : )) LinR is hard to blend, btw. I have mine stuck between two short trees, but if it proves too shady I'll move her by herself. She's sort of bossy that way! :: ))

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Sorry guys; work went long Sunday, Monday I'd completely forgotten about, Tuesday I spent at a family member's house who doesn't have internet, and yesterday was another day at the zoo (work). I'll try to get the pics I have posted tonight! There's not many of them, so maybe Houzz will let me post them all in one post!

This is a cluster on 'Wedgewood', from this spring

You can see 'Florentina' in the back; that's 'Ruby Ice' in the front. Not a very good pic for color!

A sleeping bumblebee!

Here's 'Florentina' in the spring!

'Lady of Shalott'

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Runner Beans! Using some vines to fill in my towers until the roses get big.

A swallowtail caterpillar who found my parsley! And my carrots - I think I had at least 4 of these little guys in my pots.

LOS buds

'White Cap' cluster, with a decent color capture of 'Ruby Ice' and 'Tupelo Honey' sneaking in the right corner:

Not a good pic, but you can 'Wedgewood' in the bottom left, 'Poesiedon' in the bottom right, 'Sweet Jane' in the middle, and 'Black Cherry' (with no blooms) in the upper right.

'Florentina', 'White Cap', 'Ruby Ice'

A nicer pic of a 'Wedgewood' cluster (before I weeded)

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Whoa, this looked better on my phone/tablet, I swear! 'Florentina' again. From ARE, didn't bloom the first year I got her, then threw a bunch of blooms at me after I moved her!

She must have feared the shovel, ha!

More LOS

Here's LOS, 'Julia Child', and 'Princess Elise', with either Winter Sun/Winter Sunset on the right, just out of sight. That's a 'Walker's Low' catmint in the front, which I might move to the back of the tower. I had 'America' sweet peas in the middle of this one.

This is the basic design of my towers, for now - three (supposed to be) short roses in the front, and climbers on the towers.

I can't remember if this one is 'Bolero', 'Wedding Garland', or 'Honeymoon'. I'm thinking it's Bolero.

Apparently I didn't get any pics of 'Honeymoon' or 'Wedding Garland'. I'll have to fix that this spring!

4 years ago

OMG!!! That's going to be amazing! I love the idea of growing runner beans up the supports temporarily while the roses put on size. I always grow tomatoes, herbs and squash in my beds, but had never considered climbing veggies. Duh!!! Be sure to take lots of pics this year. P.S. Unless these beds are deceptively large, Florentina will eat it for lunch. It is one lusty rose. P.P.S. Mine also didn't bloom its first year, but is really improving. LOVE this rose. : D

• ac91z6
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, the towers are about a foot on each side, about 6 ft from ground to top. The beds are..... 4ish by 5ish? I don't quite remember. She's going to be pulled around the obelisk (that's the plan anyway, we'll see).

Oh dear; should I start thinking about moving her somewhere else? I'm not putting her with 'Quicksilver', that's WAY too many thorns for one wall. I don't really have any other full sun places - the wall where I lost 'The Pilgrim' is now off-limits for roses.

I hate to completely re-home her, but that might be the only option. It would mean I could put 'Lady in Red' in that spot.

Would 'Florentina' take a half day of shade here in z6? I've got a different wall I could put her on if so.

4 years ago

Rehome her do not rehome her. I just maybe think that you might have to move the other roses a little bit away from her. I didn't mean she would eat the Armature for lunch I meant the space around it. It's going to look fantastic. You can always move the littler ones later. I've done that before and if you do it when they're dormant it's not a problem.

• PDXRobertZ8
    last year

@chris2486 I'm not sure you are still on this site or not, but earlier in this (old) thread you had mentioned Tangerine Skies and Quicksilver on an obelisk--did you mean one per obelisk (assuming it's 7' or more) or were you suggesting putting them together? I was toying with the idea myself. I have both--they look identical now as bare roots (just a 10" V-shape--like a slingshot) and I keep reading that they are both short climbers. I think the colors would be lovely together.

• chris2486
    last year

Hi Robert

i meant one per obelisk but i like your idea Tangerine Skies was the earliest bloomer in our fields but is a stroner rebloomer Quicksilver is later but not by much. Bothare fairly upright with strong stiff branching i have both on my vegtable garden fence but not growing together. My plants are 2 years old and both have reaches 8-9 feet in hieght. i do like the idea .

last year

So great to see you post @CHhr @chris2486!

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz