Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
71caroline

Boothbay Blue or Evening Blue?

Caroline
5 years ago

We are having trouble deciding and would appreciate comments, especially if you have experience with these colors. This is for a north-facing house on tidal water with a wooded backyard. Traditional neighborhood. The only choice we have to make is the color selection...siding types and stone veneer stay. Trim is Arctic White.

Thanks!

Comments (31)

• Denita
    5 years ago

Boothbay Blue, JMO.

Caroline thanked Denita
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

North facing? I’d go with Boothbay.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    5 years ago

What a beautiful house you will have. I like the Evening Blue. I would then add pops of bright color with planting and flowering pots which will stand out against the darker background.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Boothbay the other is too dark for a N facing house IMO.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Boothbay Blue with Extra White trim. Pots of bright colored flowers in front to break up solid surfaces would be nice too.
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

be mindful, boothbay blue is looking very periwinkle which is a hairsbreadth from purple. "bob has a purple house... don't be bob".

blues ARE HARD. between 'giant blueberry' and 'downright purple' going wrong on blue is fraught. not to mention choosing based on a monitor is impossible. have your painter paint out two giant squares on the back of the house. look at it for at least a week unless you instantly hate one of them.

• hummingalong2
    5 years ago
    I would choose evening blue..if I had to choose a blue.
  • Caroline
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to comment! Leaning strongly toward the Boothbay now, with trim as white as we can get. This is not a custom build, so we have to pick a color and go with it. I promise to post a photo when it is finally done. Thank you again!

• pam fast
    5 years ago

Caroline! Not sure if you will see this, but would love to hear how it turned out. We are painting our home boothbay blue in a few weeks.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Wow! Looks amazing! Pots of red geraniums with green spikes in middle and draping variegated vines draping over pot edges would set everything off. Beautiful!
    Caroline thanked Flo Mangan
  • Caroline
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks, Flo. I’m on it! Thanks for the advice!

• pam fast
    5 years ago

Thanks for posting Caroline - it looks great! You confirmed I made a good choice! Our color looks a little lighter than this one, but as you mentioned, it could be the monitor. Also love the idea of the red geraniums! I will get on that too!

• Michelle Payne
    4 years ago

We are also debating between these two colors! What color is your roof?

• Caroline
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Timberline weathered wood. Adding photos of south and east sides in bright sunlight.

• Caroline
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Caroline
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Evening blue house in same neighborhood, same day:

• Michelle Payne
    4 years ago

do both homes have the same roof color?

• Caroline
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, same roof color. Nice combo of gray and beige.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    4 years ago
    Looks great!
  • lollies1920s
    4 years ago
    Evening blue! White trim.
  • Carolyn Oliver
    4 years ago
    The house across from my parents place hired a landscaping exterior designer and chose a navy siding, with darker greyish stones. This isn’t the house but it’s pretty darn close to what it looks like- and I think it’s absolutely stunning- striking and stands out but still traditional looking. Darker blue is my vote!
  • Casie Disantis
    4 years ago

Hi! We are about to do our house in Boothbay Blue too - could you tell me what color white you chose for all of the soffit, trim, etc? Thanks! It's beautiful!

• Caroline
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Casie,

Our house has Hardie arctic white trim.

• Casie Disantis
    4 years ago

Thank you - I was actually thinking of the paint color for the soffit, window trim, porch trim, etc. It's not Hardie plank, but the paint color for the wooden trim.

• HU-107616244
    2 years ago

Caroline, hoping you’ll see this. We are choosing between these two colors as well. Wondering how you are liking the booth bay two years later and do you ever see the other house with evening blue and wish you had gone darker?
    Also wanted to know what color metal roof you went with. We are thinking a brown. I think we have the same roof as you.

• Caroline
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are happy with the Boothbay Blue. If you scroll up to the photo of the front of our house, you can see how a cloudy day affects the color. Evening Blue would have been fine, too. Unless your house gets shade most of the day, just pick the color you prefer. The metal roof is black. I’ll look for a better photo.

• Caroline
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Photos from front and side so you can see how it looks in sun vs shade.

• HU-107616244
    2 years ago

Your house looks great! I like the 3 textures of siding.
    Now why did you say something about shade? We will be in a mix of shade and sun.

• Marianage Mar
    2 months ago

Hi, what is your roof color? Im doing boothbay blue and having a hard time finding the right brown.

• Caroline
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Roof is Timberline weathered wood