0

Share pictures of your tomato growth - 2018

Ariel

I posted something like this last year. It was interesting to see the different varieties,set ups people had, and the different speeds that plants grew in different regions

• whgille

My tomatoes in Central Florida, the season in my area is winding down, a lot of rain lately...

In March

Some of this week harvests

Silvia

• Ariel

The growing season ends soon for you?

• whgille

Yes, we have 2 growing seasons in my area, one in spring and the other one in the fall. This season has been productive despite the changes in temperature and now the rain. I still have tomatoes to ripen on the vines...

• Ariel

I didn't know the summer is not a growing season anywhere.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

whgille - Are those Dark Galaxy tomatoes at the top of the picture with the black on the stem end? Whatever they are they are cool looking, I grew out a couple Dark Galaxy for my neighbor this year.

It will be awhile before I get any ripe ones but all of my tomatoes are setting fruit now.

Left to right

Girl Girl's Weird Thing, Orange Jazz, Rebel Yell, Indian Stripe, Pork Chop

Garden pictures · More Info

BKX, Big Beef, Carbon, Big Beef, JD's special C-tex

Garden pictures · More Info

Sungold gets more room. Not pictured is a Black Cherry in a similar bed.

Garden pictures · More Info

First large fruit to set was a Carbon which is almost tennis ball size now

Garden pictures · More Info

• whgille

Lone Jack

Your tomatoes look good!

From your list I grew at one time or another all of them except the Rebel Yell. The one with the black is Lucid Gem, first time growing them and I am very pleased, it was one of the earliest, productive and tasty. I will grow it again.

I grew Esterina this season and it was very productive! did not split after the rains like sometimes Sungold does but I think the flavor is a little better in Sungold.

I am making some giant tomato salads, flavor this season is outstanding! I really appreciate a homegrown tomato and soon I will not have them and will change to other fruits in my garden...

Silvia

• gorbelly

Ariel, tomatoes don't set fruit in extreme heat. If temperatures at night stay above the low to mid 70s, the vast majority of varieties will fail to fertilize and abort blossoms. Therefore, in areas with very hot summers, summer is a dead zone for tomatoes. In areas that are both humid and hot, there can also be a lot of disease and pest pressure during the summer as well, and in hot, dry areas, tomatoes struggle in arid conditions. These conditions can make it hard to keep plants alive through the hottest part of the year.

• LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Whgille - Thanks! The pictures were from about a week ago so the plants are about a foot taller now and growing fast, blooming like crazy, and setting new fruit daily. I fertilized all of them with Texas Tomato food last evening

I received Lucid Gem seed in a trade with Kansas Farm Girl this year and have it on my 2019 grow out list. I wish I could grow more varieties in one year but then I would be swamped in tomatoes and not have enough room for other veggies,

• windberry

My Tomatoes on their way to be planted in the garden on May 21st. The last frost date in my zone 5a in British Columbia is 25th of May, but the weather is very warm, even hot, and the nights are quite warm, too, for a few weeks already, so it is time to plant. As usual, I grow 10 plants, seven varieties, this year.

• yolos - 8a Ga. Brooks

The first blush. Any day now. Brandy Boy and Juliet planted indoors 2/19 and transplanted into the garden 4/18.

• CindyMac

April 30...

May 13....

Been harvesting Sun Golds for a couple weeks. First beefsteaks: Cherokee Carbon, Indian Stripe, and Sweet Tangerine.

• gorbelly

First ripe tomato in my garden: Maglia Rosa.

• Ariel

I am late to my own post. Here are most of my tomatoes. The ones in buckets are temporarily being stored close to other pots and will be spaced back out over the week.

• gorbelly

I've had a terrible time with squirrels this year. It's a new problem--before this year I co-existed with them fine, losing only the occasional tomato here and there, but this year, they ate about 200 tomatoes in the course of not even a week. Happened out of nowhere. I've never seen anything like it.

Finally getting a handle on the problem with a combination of trapping them and using an ultra-hot pepper treatment on the fruits.

Luckily, they don't like the part of the yard where I have my 2 Yellow Brandywines (Platfoot). I was surprised by how early I got a (almost) ripe fruit.

Last week, my Eva Purple Balls started coming ripe, but squirrels got the first three. Yesterday, I finally got to eat this one:

Cherry tomatoes are coming in steadily, though the squirrels ate every. single. Maglia Rosa. The flush that set after I started coating the green fruits in hot pepper paste are finally starting to get near mature size, so I should have more later in the season.

I was looking forward to trying Esmeralda Golosina, and the plant was loaded with about 40 fruits and over 6 feet tall... and then the squirrels ate every darn tomato off of it and destroyed half the branches for good measure. I pruned it back hard, and it's producing flowers again, and two tiny new fruits have set.

They were kinder to my Noire de Crimée plant; they just ate all the green tomatoes, both huge and tiny, off of it and only did minor damage to the plant itself.

It's been a tougher than usual tomato year for me. OTOH, my squashes are doing really well, and I've perfected my borer surgery technique such that my vines are surviving the process well.

• windberry

Beautiful tomatoes gorbelly! So sad squirrels are so mean to you! They never touch tomatoes in my garden, they prefer my strawberries :-(

In my garden in zone 5a, Fiaschetto is first to ripen. It is an Italian heirloom, providing early, small, oval shaped, tasty fruit. The plant is determinate and very productive. Another few days . . .

• Kansas Farm Girl - Shell - South of KC

1st year growing Brad's Atomic Grape. They're bigger than I expected. Size and shape is all over the place. Is this normal? Taste is decent. Will probably grow them again. Very interesting.

Shell

• TheyCallMeDave

I've been harvesting for a few weeks now. Here's what I got today. Hard to tell if these black cherries will get darker or not... They always seem to have a hint of green in the middle.

• windberry

What gardening zone you garden in Dave?

• TheyCallMeDave

I'm in zone 6A, should get tomatoes until the end of September, Mid October.

• windberry

Today I noticed the first ripe fruits on one of my favourites, cherry type Yellow Pear plant. The plant will not stop growing and producing until killed by frost. The ripe fruit has wonderful golden colour and is sweet and juicy.

Siberia, nice, compact, determinate plant, is doing well in my climate. The fruit started changing colour already, too.

I garden in zone 5a, we had night temperatures close to freezing here about the tenth of June and in the fall the first frost usually comes about the twentieth of September.

• Boris Zakharin

Started from seed this year, too early as it turns out. One benefit is having an early harvest.

From left to right: Sun Sugar, New Big Dwarf, and Rutgers 250. Not shown are the Romas which I didn't grow from seed, didn't like very well, got a small harvest, and squirrels got to them a lot. The first ripe Sun Sugar showed up on June 24 (!). Yesterday I collected 110 ripe fruit from a single plant. Easily the best tasting of the three. New Big Dwarf started producing July 15 (33 harvested to date). They are very finicky, lots of initial BER, fused blossoms, misshapen fruit, leaf discoloration, and uneven ripening. Early fruit were small as shown, but later ones are living up to typical Beefsteak sizes. Despite all the problems, these have the best taste of the full-size tomatoes I'm growing. The ever reliably shaped and (to some extent) sized Rutgers started producing around the same time (57 harvested to date).

Last year my harvest (of all Rutgers) began in early August (and lasted through early November)

• Barbara Wheeler

Mine have issues

• Barbara Wheeler

Waverly ny

• Choo Uei Wong

I've just started growing tomatoes but it seems that it's growing well as of today :D

So glad that from where I am from its hot and humid all year long and I hope they grow into fruition.

• windberry

Where are you Choo?

• Choo Uei Wong

I'm from Malaysia :)

• windberry

Happy growing Choo. Looks like soon your Tomato will be big enough to be moved to a bigger pot, or may be to the garden :-)

• Choo Uei Wong

Thanks! Will probably move them to a bigger pot in a week or so. Having slight drought here so weather has been super hot and dry.

• windberry

My yellow 'Early Surprise' tomatoes have started to ripen (zone 5a):

• Choo Uei Wong
    growing quite well but got attacked by whiteflies the other day leaves got burrowed. had to trim the lower leaves :D

• Choo Uei Wong

Can I ask how often do you all water the tomato during the summer?

• cecenj

I grow in containers and water my large 20-gallon ones every 3 days in the heat. But smaller containers will need much more frequent watering. i've learned when possible not to let them totally dry out to avoid splitting

Today's harvest.
    .

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)