Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lily_grace59

COUCH COLOR AND TYPE OF COUCH

Lily Grace
5 years ago
My family and I currently do not have any living room furniture. We r looking for a couch. One big on along the wall near the dining room table, along with an ottoman. We also need a smaller couch to go in front of the wall that’s in front of the kitchen. What color couch would work best with the paint colors, and what type of couch would work too?

Comments (29)

• havingfun
    5 years ago

congrats. normally you choose your rug, furnishings and curtains then paint. gray is a pretty neutral color, though undertones can affect your matching. what colors do you like? what do you plan on doing in that room?

• Geneviève
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Now the rug and then the sofa

Abstract Waves Contemporary Rug, Silver-Gray, 8'x10' · More Info
    for the sofa it all depends on your lifestyle, if your family uses this room to watch TV then get something comfortable to sit and even stretch out if you must. It also depends if you have small children , a light colour sofa and small kids will be a bit difficult to keep clean unless you cover it .

• jck910
    5 years ago

I wouldn't match a couch to that dark, dreary gray. If paint needs to stay go very light on the couch. 1 couch and 2 chairs work better than 2 couches

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I would do white leather sofa and 2 chairs in a fabric with a bit of gray in it . Love the rug that is pictured above. Go to Lazy boy to see the 100s of fabrics they have and it will also give you a chance to sit on the furniture

• Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    havingfun we would use this space as a living room/showing off room. We wouldn’t do a lot of sitting here because our basement is were we would lounge and relax. We would prefer lighter colors. That rug is also perfect we r going to look into that. Also, would we get two lazy boy chairs and one couch? My family doesn’t really like leather. But would a white couch, and chairs with a gray tone work?
  • Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Also, would the rug go under the chairs?
  • havingfun
    5 years ago

if the room is to be more proper, I would not get recliners. but yes you can have a gray couch with white chairs. and that is a lovely rug from genevieve. and part of the rug should go under the chairs.

• havingfun
    5 years ago

Varick Gallery Portillo Velvet Armchair | Wayfair · More Info

PB Comfort Roll Arm Slipcovered Sofa | Pottery Barn · More Info
    Modern Area Rugs | AllModern · More Info

• niecie
    5 years ago

Your walls are pretty and not dreary at all. Just be careful to stay with a lighter colored sofa, maybe a very light gray or white to contrast against the darker wall.

• Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Some inspiration. I like the wall colour
  • Rina
    5 years ago

Echoing some of the posts above, I would want to use warmer neutrals and get some colour in there. Mustard and yellow do work very well with grey, but so do teal/turquoise, pinks, lavendar/lilac, red, orange and others, if you don't fancy yellow.

• thinkdesignlive
    5 years ago
    I love the rich mustard yellow that Irene and Rina posted!
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

I would repaint in a lighter color, after selecting the furniture and rugs.

• silviakunst
    5 years ago
    I would not go crazy with colors ..like teal etc. ...go with a light grey ...off white cold and do buy some matching chairs with the sofa ...it's strange that you would pick that wall color first ...but , that's what you have to work with now . Go light !
  • Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank u for all the ideas! I love that mustard yellow ! I hope my parents will let us get some rich yellow tones into the room! Will it work with white/ivory curtains? We were in a rush to get our house done because we had to move so we can get closer to a school and the house was a complete redo so we had to hire people to put paint on the walls asap
  • Rina
    5 years ago

I think ivory curtains might work best if you get, say, a beige or rich ivory couch. Then I would add white in smaller accessories to tie in with the white trim -- in the pic I posted the curtains look as though they are ivory, but the lampshades and picture matts are white; the couch is a light beige, as are the lamp bases. It all works beautifully together, I think.

• Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So we couldn’t find a plain yellow fabric literally anywhere but we found this. The bottom color is called lemon grass for the fabric of the couch and the top color is the color for the accent pillow. Is this still going to look good with the grey walls and hardwood floors?
  • Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry not color, design
  • Rina
    5 years ago

I wasn't too sure until I added the light grey rug, and now I really like it.

• Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok thank u so much
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

Oops, I see you decided. Good choice. I picked this camel sofa and wood coffee table to echo floor color.

Modern Living Room · More Info

• havingfun
    5 years ago

i vote we say gold as opposed to mustard, thank you.

• niecie
    5 years ago

Love what you've picked out Lily Grace, so pretty! Love the design!

• Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank u !
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Those choices will look great together. Look out for some big art with a bit a that colour in it. Etsy is great for art
  • Irene Morresey
    5 years ago
    Aliexpress great art and free shipping
  • shari13
    5 years ago

I came to suggest taping out size of your couch, etc on the floor before you buy. That room does not look terribly big.

• Lily Grace
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Irene thank u so much we will look into buying those! And those pictures r terrible lol! The room is a lot bigger in person! We measured the couches and the space and everything fits with a ton of room left over!