jerijensunsetz24

HOUZZ is so screwed up . . .

jerijen

Everytime I go to the site, I get multiple error messages. I am rapidly coming to hate them.

It appears that they cannot be contacted by email -- they provide ONLY a telephone number. Anyone like to call them and rag on them? (I detest using phones.)

"We strive to respond to all inquiries within 1 business day. To reach us by telephone, please call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Fri, 5am-7pm PT). "

IDIOTS!

• shebabee

NEWS FLASH

Houzz Wins Award for Most Annoying Platform Ever: Members Depart in Droves

I so miss the old beloved GardenWeb -- which was clean and simple to use and WORKED. Houzz has been a very poor substitute all along, but with the latest "improvements," it's absolutely useless.

I'll be checking out the site Jeri mentions above [https://garden.org/forums/view/roses/ ] as well as this one created by Cedemas: https://www.reddit.com/r/AntiqueRoses/.

MOSCONE MARBLE & GRANITE

thank you for the advice

How do I set up my account so I receive the Houzz e-mail updates?

Hi lindylee, if you go into YOUR HOUZZ and select Edit Profile via the web, under Advanced Settings you should see the option to opt in/out of newsletters. Also, make sure you check your Spam inbox too!

Excavator screwed-up on our pool planters need suggestions badly

Oh my goodness! So sorry for your contractor's ignorance! I too live in LVNV & had less than great luck w/ our pool remodel. But onto your challenge. Here is a website that gives you some insight into care & tolerance of palms that will live in LV. http://www.vegasgardening.com/2011/03/palm-trees-for-las-vegas-2.html. Also, the folks at Star nursery are super helpful/friendly if you take them a picture & budget & effort level, they will hook you up (I go to the one on Charleston). I think you could actually use something with a little height to balance out the bottom-heaviness of the big round planters. I thought pygmy's would look nice, but that website says they're a "medium" challenge to grow....my neighbor's are completely ignored & grow just fine/thrive!! Maybe foxtail grass with some spillover plants....? But that would probably be more work than you're looking for. I love oleanders (fast-grower, green/lush feeling, would fill out the space, easy to care for, cut back 1x/year) but I'd worry about the flowers dropping. Mine are far enough away from out pool (about 4') so that not too many end up in the pool. I love your tile colors BTW! Good luck!

Does tile backlsplash go behind hood range or did the pros screw up?

Post a pic. Your verbal description is not clear. What did the design documents show? What did you ask for?

Help! I screwed up!

The majority of the time an experienced interior designer can pull it all together! It might be a very simple fix! Is there one in your area that could do a one hour consult? Example: perhaps you could find a fabric with ivory and white tones to tie it all together, (for a window valance). It's nice to add a pattern and texture with fabric. As well as what others said, a rich grout color. I would try a few simple solutions before starting over on the tile, from the photos it looks just fine!! Hope you'll try this! It would be an easy solution.
  • Emily H

Hi there, Are you still not able to post a new thread? Some updates were pushed out last night. If you are still having problems, please message us through help.houzz.com with some details so we can troubleshoot.

Please ask your friend to message as well! Thanks!

• Paul Barden

“Some updates were pushed out last night.”

It is unfathomable that HOUZZ technicians are testing their Beta programming on us, LIVE. It is basic “how NOT to run a website” stuff that IT figured out aeons ago: don’t subject your users to work-in-progress changes unless you offer Beta testing as an opt-in.

• shebabee

HOUZZ: Again, where is the list of GardenWeb forum topics hiding now? When I click on "Stories & Advice," I see the heading for "GARDENWEB DISCUSSIONS" -- but there is nothing (nothing!) listed.

• portlandmysteryrose

Shebabee, is there an arrow that points to the right when you select Gardenweb Discussions? I have to move from GW Discussion over to another menu to the side. That one lists the forums, including Antique Roses. Does this help?

EMILY, Paul does have a point. Maybe next time Beta should be tested on Houzz guinea pigs instead of users? If you could pass along the request.... I'm going to check on the "millions of opening tabs" issue to see if that is rectified. That one is really bogging me down. Thanks for your help! Carol

• bpath

Carol/Portland, on my tablet the multiple tabs issue is gone. But now I have to double-tap on my back arrow to go back. Oh, well, par for the course I guess.

• portlandmysteryrose

Multiple tabs issue is resolved for me, too. Paul must have used his megaphone! Thank you for your help, Emily. Carol

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

I just shoot email hoping Emily H will get it. I hope so. I still can't do any new posts. This bites and it's been weeks.

Jin

• bpath

I haven't been able to start a new thread either, we are now on Day 10. I've listed it a couple of times in the other thread. Let us know if you get a response, Plumeria Girl.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10

Shebabee -

On my computer, that header of 'Gardenweb Discussions' with nothing under it is a link to a screen that lists all threads with new posts since I last viewed for all the topics I follow.

To access the alphabetical list of forums I use the green 'Explore Topics' link that is in the left under the list of topics I am following

Mary

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Emily H, can you see my new thread I just posted " Let's try and hope it works ". But I can't write anything in description box just one word the second appears by itself and any words I so erases under my first pic . Can you pls fix that part for me. I am so happy I can post but feel so incomplete if you know what I meant. Oh Molly !! It took me weeks to post almost a month. I felt so disable.

Emily H are you there ? I send you an email. Hope you get it also if not this works also. Can you pls fix my issues.

Thanks

Jin

• bpath

Plumeria, the letters disappearing happens to me, too, on my Android phone. But not on my Apple iPad.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling incomplete or dis-abled.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I will try a photo.

Boscobel

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Emily, can you pls fix Jerijen's issue. Plsss. Can't afford to lose her and she has been here for a long, long time.

Jin

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Shiela, you are killing me...lol

I feel like buying her instantly. She is beautiful and I think I can really sink my face in those soft petals...lol

Jin

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

One worked. I'll try four.

Andenken an Alma de l'Aigle
    The Squire
    Bishop's Castle
    Baby Maman Cochet

• Marlorena-z8 England-

I love this 'Bishop's Castle' rose, clearly one I've missed out on. Pleased they all loaded for you Sheila... such beautiful roses deserve an easy pass...

• portlandmysteryrose

I CAN NO LONGER POST ANYTHING, even one word, even though I am on a brand new MacBook with brand new software. Tried twice to post the following. Carol

Dear Houzz Support:

I am trying to contact you directly. I need make sure that the disastrous results of your "upgrades" are clearly understood so that if Houzz would like to maintain its Gardenweb user following, it will act immediately to see that changes and fixes happen as close to yesterday as possible, but I can't find a direct connection to Houzz support. I have had a couple of exchanges with Emily, but I would like a consistent connection to Houzz support. Could you let us know EXACTLY where we can ALL REGISTER OUR COMPLAINTS about the serious faults in the new program? A common Gardenweb link to Houzz would be ideal.

I want to give you a heads up that if you do not wish to lose a large percentage of your client base, the programming team at Houzz needs to rectify this untenable situation ASAP, and support staff needs to communicate directly with GardenWeb users. We need an ongoing conversation with Houzz support so we that we have updates and substantial assurances. We have lost any faith in Houzz's integrity, and users on the Antique Roses Forum and other forums are bailing in droves. Given the labyrinthene maneuvers that must be accomplished to reach Houzz support (each maneuver seems to be dependent on age and type of technology), many GardenWeb members are just surrendering without notifying Houzz of issues. Others of us have tried to no avail indicate the extent and gravity of the software issues.

The severity of the broken software resembles malware and member dissatisfaction has reached critical mass. I've seldom encountered such a poorly functioning site run by such a large company. This version of Gardenweb is so problematic that apparently members can accidentally delete each other's posts. Private user information has been openly displayed. This is egregious! Most of us have continuing, ongoing, and debilitating issues with starting posts, attaching photos and commenting. I wish to communicate in no uncertain terms that we need ongoing, straightforward, open, communication with Houzz support NOW before more members actively depart or just fade away. For the record, the exiting members I refer to come from all disciplines and walks of life. We are scientific researchers, software engineers, college professors, teachers, artists, writers, photographers, rose breeders, presidents of garden associations, nursery and landscape company owners, interior designers, health care professionals, contractors, real estate agents, etc.

Thank you for your immediate assistance and prompt communication.

Carol

(portlandmysteryrose/Antique Roses Forum)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

If that doesn't help, Carol, I don't know what will. That's a splendid communication. I hope it's not a case of everyone except the janitors having left the building. We really appreciate your doing this; I'm sure it wasn't fun.

Sheila, your roses are wonderful. Bishop's Castle is one of my favorite roses. Your baby Maman Cochet will probably be occupying considerable real estate by next year. Roses simply love you and your garden!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Carol, I understand your frustration Bec I went through for almost 3 weeks. Worst feeling ever. I don't blame you. Today , I just got lucky but next week I might be off from posting again. This is insane .

Jin

• bpath

Ingrid, I like YOUR post. That's what it's all about, community. I'm not in the Roses forums, but we see they same in other forums. Hmm, maybe I SHOULD hang out there...we "inherited" a rose with this house, I should learn to tend it properly. Let me go figure out my zone and add it to my username.

I want to be able to POST!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Ingrid, you inspired me getting Bishop's Castle. I love it.

• portlandmysteryrose

Thank you, Ingrid! I have attached that letter onto several threads. I tried creating my own post on three forums, including "Using Houzz," but although I can see the post in My Houzz, it's nowhere to be found on the forums. I also plugged the letter directly into the Houzz customer support messaging system a la Jackie's method of communication. We shall see what unfolds..or doesn't.

Bpathome, welcome to the mess in this neck of the Houzz woods! And many congrats on your new home. Please do join our little garden community. You have two rose forums to choose from and can now post on both at the same time: Roses and Antique Roses.

I imagine all the close-knit forum communities are experiencing similar discombobulation. Homeowners with ongoing repair and renovation projects are no doubt ready to scream. DIYers who are right smack in the middle of seeking forum advice for their concrete countertop challenges must be pulling out their hair as materials set and crack while they struggle to post photos. And those with distressing troubles like termite invasions and powder post beetles have probably already run into the sunset. Carol

• bpath

Portland, thanks for the welcome! Actually, we've been in this house 14 years already lol. My mother started a rose garden in the late 50s, with several roses that she coned in winter, surrounded by cocoa shells, with flagstone paths winding to a council ring. I suppose being able to post on both roses and antique roses is one benefit of cross posting. The house is early 60s, the garden later, but the rose seems to be a one-off. Well, look for me there with a picture . . . IF I CAN EVER START A THREAD!

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

I am so sorry. I was literally screaming at my place. So mad, aggravated, frustrated and all above. I had issues with my roses. Lisa wrote a thread on behalf of me. She had problems too but I could not do a thread at all.

It has been like almost 3 weeks of pissed mood. This is a place I want to go....my happy place. I relax here.

Now, I am afraid what little I can do will be taken away.

I don't want to lose anyone here. I feel so welcome here . Jeri kinda guide me to my achieve my roses and if it is not for Jeri . I would not have grown any roses. Then I get tons of support from Shiela, Ingrid, Marlorena, Carol, Lisa , Aqua eyes help me more than anything. Writing to me long and easy to understand emails on how to amend my soil. Guess what I did that and so far my roses are very healthy. My soil is no longer Chris used a word but I am going to say waterproof soil.

So as you can see I can't turn my back on my friends. This is where it all started .

And Houzz don't give a damn. I know.

Jin

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Well, I tried to do a test posting with pictures. First of all the picture fades when you load it, and the color comes back after a considerable time to let you know the picture has been posted. I suppose I can live with that although if you're posting 8-10 pictures it can be tedious. The only way I could navigate onto the next picture was the side bar. If I hit RETURN a blank page appears. That's the end of that, you're done. So I used the side bar which is slower and more tedious but again something I can get used to. However, after I had posted two pictures I came to the end of the page. I suppose I should have used the side bar first to create a larger blank space, because when I tried to load the third picture the side bar was useless. I'll try and tweak things to see if I can get pictures to post, but we shouldn't have to turn ourselves into pretzels to do something that is so darn simple. Carol is right, we are being used as the testers of their new program. Any reputable firm would take care of that in-house before foisting their "new look" on their unsuspecting users. I'm afraid we'll be scattered to the four winds before this is over and that really worries me. What used to be a refuge from the outside world has now become just another hostile entity to deal with.

• portlandmysteryrose

I hear you, Ingrid! No more relaxed e-tours through friend's gardens or impromptu photo shares. I'm spending all my "down time" submitting failed posts and writing messages in the bottle to Houzz support. If we weren't all on this island together, I wouldn't be on this island at all! Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Carol, I wish I had a crystal ball that would let us know whether the situation will resolve itself here or we're just tilting at windmills. I did just manage to send off a post with five pictures, but to call it easy or fun would be a blatant lie. Thank you so much for undertaking the thankless job of communicating with Houzz. You're my hero! I don't know how receptive they are but at least you've made a valiant effort, and we can't ask for more than that.

• bpath

Day 11 of not being able to start a new thread on the mobile site, not the app, my Android phone. After typing the first word in the text box, subsequent Words are converted to a space when I tap the spacebar.

Tapping Next does nothing. Today, tapping Close prompted me to post a picture and I had to close the tab to get out.

• portlandmysteryrose

Bpathome, try contacting help.houzz.com directly. Yes, the rather awkward sentence below is self referential. When it says to click on "Submit a Request," it means to click on those words in that same sentence. :-) I've also attached the phone number below.

Hope this helps!

Carol

How can I contact Customer Support?

May 16, 2018•Houzz Support

You can contact Customer Support anytime by clicking on "Submit a Request".

We strive to respond to all inquiries within 1 business day. To reach us by telephone, please call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Fri, 5am-7pm PT).

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I've submitted my problem with being unable to delete a photo in a post if I've accidentally put it in a wrong place or don't want to use it for whatever reason. Waiting with bated breath for answer.........oh wait, that might not be a good idea.

• maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10

I'm so glad to see so many of us still have our sense of humor!

MaryC

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

Well, Mary, it's better than grinding one's teeth down to the gum line - not a good look. I still live in hope......

• portlandmysteryrose

It is what it is. :-)

The following link is fresh from Emily.

Emily H(9)

Hi all, this link gets you to exactly where you need to be to submit a ticket. https://help.houzz.com/s/profile-support?language=en_US

If it is not working on iPad, definitely try on a desktop or laptop.

If you are on a much older browser or set up, it's possible that it isn't loading properly for you. I hope you will have another way to access! So sorry for the frustration in submitting a ticket.

• Cynthia Martinelli

no one ever answers HOUZZ. order wrong. redelivered. wrong again! terrible company, terrible vendors. online for 2 hrs, still waiting! company says they are no longer open on weds, Thurs, Fridays. cant reach on mon and tue! what is up? bogus. want my money back.

• roseseek

THAT should teach everyone...DO NOT SPEND MONEY WITH HOUZZ! PERIOD. Life went on quite nicely before they arrived to suck up Garden Web to make it their advertising arm. It will resume beautifully without them. STOP GIVING THEM MONEY.

• jerijen

You BOUGHT something from them? OMG. Considering how messed up their management of these lists is, I'd EXPECT problems!

• Kathy Furt

Yeah I am beginning to hate this site used to be great! Now we have 20 million posts on granny topics

• jacqueline9CA

If you scroll down to the bottom of any thread, you will find lists of topics. Under "Get Help", If you click on "Contact", you will get to the Support Department, with a form you can fill out to communicate with them. It works great - I have gotten responses in 1-2 days several times. (This is the same as "submitting a ticket" cited by Emily above, but just another way to get there.)

Jackie

• Kathy Furt

Now I have notifications number listed and nothing telling me where. Used to be little green dots

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

What the heck are they doing?

• Kathy Furt

Nuts

• Kathy Furt

Or nutszzzz

• Paul Barden
    yesterday

The golden age of gardenweb is over and done. This is about as good as its ever going to be, now that its primarily an advertising engine. Set your expectations accordingly. This is why I rarely participate anymore Why bother?

• jerijen
    yesterday

I agree, Paul, but I drop in every few days to see what's what. I hope you will, too, because you are needed. Moreso, in such sad times.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    yesterday

Thank you for helping educate people, Paul and Jeri. I really appreciate all you do here, even if the forum is not all it could be. I will forever treasure Ellen Tofflemire, Marianne, Paul's T-Superb West, Rook, Song of the Stars, Dakota Redwing, Won Fang Yon, and the real Umbra if I ever can get one. Also Oshun and October Moon down the road.

Jeri, I love my Grandmother's Hat, Florence Bower's Pink Tea and other wonders you have highlighted like Eugene Beauharnais. I would not have known about them without you.

jerijen thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • jerijen
    8 hours ago

YES! Sheila -- This is a day to be thankful for things we've learned and things we've shared.

And let us look forward to a better, brighter day.

• fig_insanity Z7a E TN
    3 hours ago

Today, let's be thankful for what's RIGHT about this site: our friendship, camaraderie, the sharing of knowledge and joy of roses. Those things rise above Houzz...thankfully.

jerijen thanked fig_insanity Z7a E TN
  • jerijen
    2 hours ago

I'm up for that!