0

Storing water for pond water exchange

pbsjones

(I'd have done a search first, but couldn't find that option...)

I've tried storing water for my little ponds (50 and 85 gallons) in a plastic tub (to let the chlorine leech out) but ended up with some ugly kind of algae in it. Where do you get/store water for water exchanges? I use the hose for the pond with no fish, but I don't think my koi pond would appreciate it. Thoughts?

• chas045

I am fortunate to be on a well, so I don't have that issue; and I have a french drain into an extra pond that I call my 'resevette' besides. However, in your case (small volume), I think a rain barrel that collects gutter run off would work well.

pbsjones thanked chas045
  • grin4joy

What if you covered it so no sunlight reached the water? I would cut down on any algae.

pbsjones thanked grin4joy
  • hydrangeahead Central WI 4b

I just did 1/3 water exchanges, the same way you do with aquariums. Then I added the chemical that is designed to chelate/bind chlorine and other chemicals. You can buy it at any pet store, and even at Wal-Mart

• pbsjones

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I was trying to find a way to not have to put something in the water, but I couldn't find a way to let the water de-chlorinate itself without it going gooey.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)