Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zsthomp

New Stapelia Gigantea potted in PNW

Z Man
5 years ago

Hello all,

So last week I potted a new s. gigantea I purchased from Grassy Knoll's. I'm in the PNW on a cove where we get to about 70s in the summer with nights down to mid 50s to low 50s. Today though was hot at 80! Anyway, I potted it in a fast-draining mix but concerned as I slowly saw black areas evolving in the lower lateral branch. Here is a pic:

The cactus looks dirty but am just hoping it is OK and will start to look better when it puts out new growth eventually.

Z

Comments (13)

• Embothrium
    5 years ago

Stapelia is not a cactus. Anyway if it was growing indoors when you bought it and now you have it sitting outside in full sun exposure during a hot spell you are probably burning it.

• Z Man
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

No but it is a succulent which is appropriate for this forum. I moved the Stapelia to where it gets sun until 1pm max. It has some black spots that look like necrotic burnt areas but so far it is not getting worse.

Z

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    5 years ago

Black necrotic spots look more like fungal issues to me.

Z Man thanked Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
  • Z Man
    Original Author
    5 years ago

But the blackening happened fast and not until I planted it in the sun. They are dry so I won't worry for now...

Z

• Z Man
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you grow them outside in the Seattle area outside in summer? Any tips?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    5 years ago

I grow all my cacti and succs outside in summer. They like the heat and most will prefer the sunlight that just cannot be replicated well through a window. I find it very telling that they start to push a lot of growth as soon as they hit the outdoors after being in stasis through most of the winter inside :-) Grow lights don't even encourage much growth.

My local nursery is having a cacti and succulent weekend thing at the moment and has brought in a huge array of cool plants. These are a huge weakness with me and I bought a bunch.......more than I should!! Good thing I receive a generous discount :-)

Z Man thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Z Man
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Discounts give us license to buy more plants! :). Yes I put out my tillandsia in full shade outside which is still way more light than they receive indoors. Im hoping they start pushing blooms before the end of summer. The only ones I don't put outside are the peace lily and pothos.

Z

• Mike McGarvey
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

All my indoor plants go outside during the summer. The Stapilias get partial sun and mostly shade from a Vine Maple planted in front of the south facing deck. I water intermittently. I let Stapelia shrivel before I start a short watering cycle. Think south Africa climate.

Z Man thanked Mike McGarvey
  • Z Man
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Will letting Stapelia shrivel affect their flowering at all?

• Mike McGarvey
    5 years ago

I 'think' it promotes flowering when water is given to it after being dormant.

Z Man thanked Mike McGarvey
  • Z Man
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well since it is the rainy season in South Africa right now, I will just water it fairly regularly until temps go back down. I say this almost laughing 'cause our temps never came up! :( it was low 60s today...

Z

• Mike McGarvey
    5 years ago

Z Man, how is your Stapelia doing now?