Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eboone_gw

3rd Annual Western PA Fig Growers Gathering

eboone_gw
5 years ago

Once again I will be holding a gathering at my home of all interested in growing figs, this year a little earlier on August 18th. The intent is to gather together to meet others interested in fig growing, to share knowledge and experience, and have some fun. Of course spouses, family etc are welcome if they can stand the focus on figs!

We will open the doors at noon and start off with lunch by 12:30, then have the rest of the afternoon for sharing. As we did last year, I plan to order some pizzas, and we will provide coffee, tea, soft drinks, and of course fig leaf iced tea. We will ask guests to bring a side dish, salad or dessert to share, and throw in a couple bucks towards the pizza.

Hopefully we can have a few focused group discussions on topics like winter protection, rooting or grafting of fig plants. Maybe you would like to volunteer to speak briefly on a topic?

Again this year we will hold a raffle or 'exchange' where we would all bring an extra fig plant or two (or if you have no extras, some other gardening-related item that others would enjoy), then draw numbers to select winners. In past years, everyone was able to take home one or more new plants. And of course if people want to arrange trades with other guests ahead of time, that would be fine as well. If you cannot bring a plant, don’t worry, there are some people coming who are likely be able to help with extras.

My home is very near the Irwin (Mile Marker 67) exit of the PA Turnpike, just East of Pittsburgh. I will provide directions to anyone who plans to come, just respond below, or PM me on Our Figs, or email me to be included in sending out directions. Also, if you have questions please respond here, by email or by private message. Any other ideas or suggestions are appreciated. I will not need a final head count until close to the date.

Comments (2)