0

Dahlias and Gerbera Daisies - yellowing! What the heck?

grasswhisperer
last modified: June 22, 2018

Okay - every year I seem to have the same problem with annuals that I plant in beds around the house (eastern Mass.)

Hopefully pics will help. But in short, the leaves dry up and yellow, the buds are there but they don't blossom. Kinda like the entire plant is in a state of suspended animation.

I had sprayed with Sevin for bugs (once a week?) Orchard Spray at one point thinking might be fungal issue. Also could be rabbits and have tried Deer/Rabbit spray (usually works some). But not sure rabbit would be causing the plant to be in suspended animation.

These were planted about a month ago. Gave a light shot of plant-tone about 2 weeks ago. Also I used good garden compost mix amended into soil (has been several years of adding garden soil into what was otherwise pretty sterile soil.

Also was watering about once per day - fairly good, deep watering. 6+ hours of full sun, mostly in afternoon and late afternoon. Has been very dry past several weeks here in Mass.

Is it simply not enough water?

Any thoughts based on the pics?

Much appreciated!

• grasswhisperer

more pics.

Also - I should ask - maybe this is too much water? I just can't tell. In prior years with same attempt, I definitely was only watering a few times (1-2) a week, so surely I thought wasn't giving enough water. It just seems like if I give less water, or more water, I have the same undesired result. What could it be?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

I had sprayed with Sevin .... Orchard Spray at
    one point thinking might be fungal issue. Also .....Deer/Rabbit spray (usually works some). But not sure rabbit
    would be causing the plant to be in suspended animation.
    These were planted about a month ago. Gave a light shot of plant-tone about 2 weeks ago

==>>> so in one month you have sprayed 3 times.. and applied what sounds like a liquid fert to the leaves ...???

i suspect you have burned the leaves thru all the stuff you have slathered on the plants ... perhaps spraying on a hot day in sun ...

ken

• Jay 6a Chicago

I know gerberas will have these kinds of problems if the crowns are buried too deep. They need excellent drainage.

• grasswhisperer
    Thanks for the replies so far.

A few quick thoughts -

Last year(s) I’ve had the exact same condition and I had not sprayed a thing, so I don’t believe this is a result of spraying too many things. In addition, by once a week, I think I only wound up spraying the Sevin twice. The label says spray up to once a week. The deer and rabbit was mostly around the plant and besides that’s just some rotten smelling stuff - don’t think that harms foliage in any way. And the orchard spray was only once, again a week if not more apart from the other sprays.

I’m suspecting it’s more of a water issue. And I’m wondering if the “once a day” advice is bogus as now I’m reading only 2-3 times a week for dahlias and I think might be similar for Gerbers.

What would you recommend to improve soil drainage? I’ve already amended with gardening compost mix (there’s a fair amount of that now in the soil). Sand? Something else?

• dcrews21

First I would take several soil samples to the local extension office to make sure you are not deficient or unbalanced in minerals and nutrients. Diagnostics before treatment. Doctors and auto mechanics do that also.