Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjammjam

Please help choose Water Jet Backsplash

mjammjam
5 years ago

I originally thought I'd do a water jet above the stove, but now I'm wondering if I should do it on the entire backsplash -- Or is that too busy?

#3 = My inspiration Kitchen

Hollywood Glam · More Info

My kitchen so far:

Comments (154)

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I didn't order my cabinet hardware yet. I wanted some brass pendants to mix the metals. I ordered and returned 2 sets already because they were too large over my dumb short ceiling. Do you like your cone light better than the ones I chose? I like yours because I really don't like staring at light bulbs

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Is this the one you are asking about?

I'm not seeing a MOP subway

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes, that one

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

The Goodman by Thomas Obrien (there are others too) come in 15" diameter and a more petite that is 10" in width vs the 15". The 10" is as I recall 12" tall.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    5 years ago

Herringbone, no, just not. It’s already looking tired.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I looked them up a while ago but the rods were too long for my ceiling. Let me see again....

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

There are many out there if you have cans and only want down lighting. Keep that in mind as this will only cast light on to the island. This one is Visual Comforts (the maker) Ballard sells the light and most sell them in a white with gold on the inside.. You can google, " small cone shaped pendant lights in..........." what ever color you want white with gold chain and gold inside or fully burnished gold... etc. I'd typically say get all the lighting in and then pick the lights. However, you are going toward some pretty wild backsplashes in some of the photos so as long as you have good light by night and day with cans so you can see your tile sample colors well from AM to PM then I'd hold off!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Goodman has custom lengths.. they are the only one... others have chains.. again, there are many makers.

Zalco, Herringbone is timeless... it's been in homes for hundreds of years from floors to backsplashes. I am not sure I'm seeing it in this space... yet, placed the chevron as it's a bit less geometric if you will and a lot easier for a tiler to do right! I had Herringbone wood floors in a 150 year old flat in Paris many years ago and it was original. It was so lovely.... Again, not sure I'm seeing it here in this room.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The can lights are all in and I also have under-cabinet lighting. My island is a little over 9 feet by 40" . What do you think of the Thomas O'Brien lights I ordered?

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Goodman Petite Hanging Shade

DESIGNER: THOMAS O'BRIEN

$419.00

ITEM TOB 5089AN-NP

AVAILABILITY: IN STOCK

SPECIFICATIONSO/A Height: 38"Fixture Height: 12"Min. Custom Height: 15"Width: 10"Canopy: 5.25" RoundShade Details: 3" X 10" X 9.75"Socket: E12 CandelabraWattage: 60 CCustom Height Available

comes in multiple colors and sizes.. this is the smallest... the above is the info, "custom height available". depends on the kitchen though and the tile... to me that is....

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

That's a large island.... I like the lights you chose. Yet, it would depend on your tile. I see them more with a subway or very simple tile...nothing ornate as they are fairly basic overall which is not a bad thing at all.

mjammjam thanked Porter Edun
  • Porter Edun
    5 years ago

You may want to read this from 2017 and see the photos... that is a large island you have.. you don't want to have lights that are too tiny. I understand the ceiling is a bit low?

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your help.

I have chrome faucets and pot fillers, and a stainless hood with chrome strips. What would you suggest for cabinet hardware? Brushed nickel? Chrome?

I was afraid it was too much Chrome, that's why I wanted brass pendants and I wanted to find brass light over the kitchen table too.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I would ideally like 3 wide but short pendants, or something linear, but have not found anything

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Lastly as I just saw your response. I'm not a fan of the MOP although it's very pretty... it will have a LOT of grout lines and your kitchen is not small and it is a bit busy with the MOP like iridescence it will put off.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

You are saying short in height... you need a little width with the island that long and wide... not huge, but not petite like the Goodman Petite I sent... and the cone gets larger in width naturally it will get taller so it may not be an option in this case :(

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Lanterns such as the Darlana by Visual Comforts will do the same. I feel it pairs well with most anything. Yet, the wide it gets the taller it gets.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Have you perused the Rejuvenation Hardware site? They have many pendants that are very pretty.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Restoration Hardware?

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/pendant-lights-for-9-ft-island-dsvw-vd~4688177

Oh, I forgot to send you this from 2017.... the island is the same length.. may just help a little bit by reading the thread in terms of lights.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

I do like a light that is a bit oversized with a larger island. Yet, not all do.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I've been looking for months and the wider ones are also taller. I also tried the Regina Andrew Globe thinking the glass would help it look smaller, but they were too large for the space. The mini Darlana is 14" high which makes the chain only 8" and it looked stumpy

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Yes, with many of the lights the wider you go the taller they get... yet not all! I suggest you pick your backsplash first since it appears you have PLENTY of light from what you are saying to view your tiles AM to PM and how the light changes them when you reduce it down to the final few. Then I'd pick the lights and many here will be happy to help you with that. If you post your kitchen we can place them in the kitchen over the island so you can better get some ideas of what you like then.

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

I'm not sure why the site is not responding that I recommended you look at some of their lights. I was just on it last night???!!!

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

For the backsplash, what material did you post? Glass? Ceramic?

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

I'm not saying to get this by any means... however, I would love for your to continue with the houzzers and select a fairly simple, but pretty tile and then select a light after as if you get something similar to a lot of what you have posted it will be very busy IMO. This is a light from Rejuvenation.... it is a little small for your island as you mentioned, "linear". Yet... they are out there... I promise... Not sure why their site is mucked up right now.. I apologize I mentioned it and you can't log in as I can't as I wanted to show you some that may work with a more simple tile.

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok . I'll keep looking. I've been searching brass pendants for months that would look pretty with a long island. I love the globe with candelabra lights like the Regina Andrews, but it doesn't come in a smaller globe size. I only said linear because I saw something once over a dining table, but don't remember who made it.

And, What about the hardware? Chrome? Brushed Nickel?

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

https://www.westelm.com/products/ripple-glass-pendant-oval-w1838/

This is 18" in diameter and 18" tall.... If you look at the photos of people that posted their kitchens... one has a very long island and placed two of them and it's nice... again, wait on the tile... the lights are out there!

• jillybean103
    5 years ago

Oh, my. Where can I find this? What is it called exactly? I’m doing a new bath and would love this in the shower as a waterfall

• ohsoslow
    5 years ago

Hi - just came across your post. Saw the photos of your beautiful kitchen, honestly thought you had snuck into my house and photographed my kitchen! The cabinet style and color are almost identical. I thinks many of your backsplash selections are stunning! However, this is what I chose after a very long time of looking. Your counters and mine are almost identical, and I found that although the many different time samples were beautiful, by the time I had them up everywhere as backsplash they were too busy. They also distracted from the beauty of my range hood and custom glass in cabinet doors. Have you considered going w the same material for the backsplash as the counters?

Mine were installed several weeks ago and I am so happy w the decision.

What ever you choose, good luck. I think your kitchen will be stunning no matter what!!!

Sorry to ramble on!

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OHSOSLOW -- Where are your kitchen pics?? There's no more of my counter to make a backsplash -

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jill --

• jillybean103
    5 years ago

Thank you!!!

• Allison0704
    5 years ago
    Have you looked at Circa Lighting and/or Arteriors?
  • mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have looked everywhere -- I wanted a globe or something with brass to bring in that color. I tried these are they were giant on my ceiling. But This is the style I was hoping to find.

Anchorage · More Info

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Apologies as I am Eastern time. I’d highly suggest u pick your back splash then your lighting since u have all the cans and under cabinet lights in. Total opposite of what I would normally suggest. However, if the room is well lighted to view tile day to night with lights on and off since it’s become a bit of a struggle between a bit ornate vs a bit simplistic I would get that back splash as you don’t want the two in a battle. Happy to send u other lights tomorrow. U mentioned you prefer a down light then you mention you love a globe. There is half globe being solid on the top portion and glass on the lower. I’d still focus on the tile for now?!?!

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

• Porter Edun
    5 years ago

Again, still would love to see u narrow down your backsplash and then look at lighting so it’s most cohesive!

• Allison0704
    5 years ago

Since your kitchen is low, I would skip the globe and go for a smaller glass fixture. That way 2 or 3 would look nice over the island.

https://www.circalighting.com/altare-petite-pendant-tob5741/

Circa has several small and petite fixtures 24" and smaller minimum height, with brass. One thing to consider, clear glass will show dirt and kitchen scum faster than white glass.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Low ceilings and pendants just do not mix. No matter how much you wish it into happening and looking right. It will always visually shorten the ceiling even more. You have to work with the architecture that you have. Not pretend it doesn’t exist. Or, pretend it’s 3’ taller.

• jillybean103
    5 years ago

• mjammjam
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks all

Sophie - What are my options then? No pendants?

Jill - That kitchen looks like it has a 10' ceiling,

This is was my kitchen before the reno . These pendants were a fine length

• jillybean103
    5 years ago

Was showing an example of pendants that are light and airy because of glass and would work i think

mjammjam thanked jillybean103
  • blondelle
    5 years ago
    I think the second pattern conflicts with the curves of the glass cabinet doors. I like the floral as an accent in back of the stove, but too much all over.
    mjammjam thanked blondelle
  • Allison0704
    5 years ago

Have you decided on a tile yet? If not, have you looked at Stone Impressions? It's not water jet, but I've seen in person and it is gorgeous. They also customize.

• chispa
    5 years ago

Allison, a tile from Stone Impressions was on my list of 4 finalists for the back splash. It was a pattern on Thassos. It ended up being a bit too dark once I placed the samples under my dark stained cabinets. They have some nice patterns. Some of the patterns have more of a soft wallpaper look to them. Here is their page on Houzz:https://www.houzz.com/pro/stoneimpressions