kellymou77

Totally clean slate - I need landscape help for our new build!

kellymou77

Hello,

We are just finishing building our home in Michigan (zone 5) and are really struggling to come up with a landscape design that will give curb appeal and won't be underwhelming for the scale of the yard and house. The house sits up on a bit of a hill and has an ENORMOUS yard.

The front yard, by the road, will have a lamp post with a hanging address plaque. We also will need a retaining wall on the left front of the house, but other than that, this is a fresh canvas and I'm overwhelmed about what we should do with it. We've had a few landscape designers come out to give us ideas, but most of them want to over-plant and turn the place into a forest. I'm not at all opposed to some well-placed trees, but prefer it to look balanced, clean, and manicured.

I would like something that's fairly low maintenance. I tend to like plants that look well-kept and maintained (i.e., not too wild/jungly looking). There's also a patio off the back of the house that we'd like to use for a table and portable fire pit. It would be nice to have a little privacy around with our landscaping. Any advice would be very appreciated! Thank you!