kellymou77

Totally clean slate - I need landscape help for our new build!

kellymou77
June 23, 2018

Hello,

We are just finishing building our home in Michigan (zone 5) and are really struggling to come up with a landscape design that will give curb appeal and won't be underwhelming for the scale of the yard and house. The house sits up on a bit of a hill and has an ENORMOUS yard.

The front yard, by the road, will have a lamp post with a hanging address plaque. We also will need a retaining wall on the left front of the house, but other than that, this is a fresh canvas and I'm overwhelmed about what we should do with it. We've had a few landscape designers come out to give us ideas, but most of them want to over-plant and turn the place into a forest. I'm not at all opposed to some well-placed trees, but prefer it to look balanced, clean, and manicured.

I would like something that's fairly low maintenance. I tend to like plants that look well-kept and maintained (i.e., not too wild/jungly looking). There's also a patio off the back of the house that we'd like to use for a table and portable fire pit. It would be nice to have a little privacy around with our landscaping. Any advice would be very appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (10)

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268