0
bardzil

Thermally modified wood deck

bardzil

Has anyone used thermally modified wood for decking? I'm considering material options for a low wood deck and came across this option. I don't want to do a composite because i live in a fairly hot climate and the deck gets afternoon sun. I think real wood would be a better option but i want low maintenance and durable with a long lifespan. I don't love the red color of redwood and Ipe and we had an older redwood deck at a prior house that was a maintenance nightmare.

Let me know if you have any experience with thermally modified wood or any other material recommendations.

Also, I will need a new fence as well and wondering if i should use the same material for both deck and fence.

Comment (1)

Arbordale Landscaping

We have used baked woods a few times with good success. The wood can be a little difficult to work with as it is quite hard, and has some tendencies to warp when cutting.

This is a great solution for the long term. My preference is to leave the wood untreated and let it grey out. You can always stain, but this will create maintenance down the line as you will have to reapply every few years.

If the deck and fencing are in proximity to one another, it would be best to use the same material for continuity. The only downside to this is that the baked wood tend to be pretty pricey so dont know if it's in your budget or not.

If you do plan on staining the deck in future, you could always use a cheaper wood like pressure treated, or Cedar and stain the woods the same colour. They will have a different grain pattern, and potentially a slightly different colour, but would still look close enough to one another.