Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_482764779757930

Switching Monstera to 5-1-1 mix

L Sando
5 years ago

Hey all,

New here but have been reading old posts for awhile and lately have gone on a deep dive reading all about water movement in soil, 5-1-1 mix, and all sorts of things from Al. All I have read has made me increasingly concerned about one of my most important plants, my varigated monstera deliciosa. This plant was a birthday gift from my girlfriend, when she purchased it online it was a rooted cutting from an e-bay seller which she took to a little plant shop near her house who helped pot it up. I have been a bit concerned about the soil they used to pot it since it seems almost like pure peat and compost, very fine, heavy feeling soil that stays wet far too long. The cutting has a bit of browing at some of the tips and just does not seem to be thriving so I have come to believe this is likely due to the poor soil and I want to do everything in my power to make this a happy plant. So I have decided to move it to 5-1-1 mix. I went out and found the necessary components and have mixed up a batch of the mix and am planning to transfer. The main question I have now is, how best to go about this?

Should I pull the plant out of this poor soil now and put it in a container of water for some time or leave it in the current soil while the 5-1-1 goes through the reaction phase of 2 weeks? Would it be better to repot the plant in the 5-1-1 right away even with out waiting for the reaction phase? Adding some complication I am going to be out of town from in two days for six days.

Any advice on how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

Re-pot straight to 5-1-1 now
Leave in current soil and re-pot into 5-1-1 after 2 weeks
Pull from soil and place in water for 2 weeks until 5-1-1 is read

Comments (4)