Houzz Logo Print
wkinzie

Need help selecting tile & look for upstairs hall bathroom

wkinzie
10 years ago
We are remodeling and need to select bathroom tile, wall & trim paint
colors, possibly wallpaper, sink, countertop, lighting, mirrors, shower
& window curtains, and overall design look for our upstairs hall
bathroom. We are planning to have a charcoal stained wooden vanity.
Yet, would like the overall look to be light and airy, and hopefully
incorporating either a white quartz or white granite countertop will help pull off
that look.

The attached photos are inspiration from the room across the hall from
the bathroom. That room is painted in Porter Paints' Silver Dollar;
with ceiling and trim painted in Gray Palomino. I love the calm white
design on the gray pillow sitting in the chair, and the graphic
expression the containers and blocked drapes give this room. Would
love to pull this same design feel into the hall bathroom; but don't
know how. The approximately 8.5' square hall bathroom with an 8'
ceiling, will have Kohler's Expanse curved 5' drop-in white tub, with a
curved shower rod; and 3' wide linen closet along one wall. The toilet
and 4' vanity are directly across from the tub wall.

Appreciate those of you who will offer suggestions. Thanks much!

Comments (11)

• wkinzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks much! Beautiful bathroom; so light and airy! I agree a gray floor seems fitting for my bathroom; but should I go light, mid-tone or dark gray with a dark stained charcoal vanity? Am planning to go with chrome bathroom fixtures and vanity hardware to pull the room over to a more transitional look. Am I on the right track?
  • wkinzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Just found a Nicole Miller shower curtain at Bed Bath and Beyond and have attached a few pictures here. Should I use in my bathroom? Was planning to use some decorative tile in my tub wall area, but now not sure what tile to select if I use this shower curtain. In fact, I don't even know if I should use this shower curtain. I'm having a hard time getting this project moving.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    10 years ago
    Love the drapery!
    wkinzie thanked Blinds Direct Canada
  • wkinzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you!
  • TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    I like the mottled limestone (beige or gray) seen in above photo above. Mottled surfaces have interest and are easier to keep clean looking. I'd keep the floor tile and wall and counter tiles the same. The vanity stain will be similar to the ebony finish on the chair and you mentioned silver tone hardware, so that will all blend.

If there is room for a chair in the bath a filigree metal chair would look good. As here:
    Custom Bathroom Vanity · More Info

Before you commit to a shower curtain, buy it and see how it looks in the bedroom you love. The shower curtain above, is beautiful, but from here, I do not think it looks good with the colors or decor of the bedroom.
    wkinzie thanked TanCalGal
  • wkinzie
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much! I bought the shower curtain, and you are so right, wrong color and wrong decor! What was I thinking??? Good to hear the silver finished hardware will work. Went tile hunting, but limestone isn't right for me. Need low maintenance, so thinking porcelain. Can you suggest a porcelain tile that would have the same look as the mottled gray limestone? Unfortunately there is no room for a chair; wish there was. I don't yet have a feel for how the room will end up. Love fabric, but not sure what direction to go for shower curtain and window treatment. Certainly appreciate your help. Hope things are going well for you.
  • TanCalGal
    10 years ago
    Hi-Not sure what tile company is in your area. Many of my neighbors used Dal Tile, I used Florida Tile. Best sometimes to talk with an independent tile store and not the big box stores. All companies should stock a mottled tile. Bring the tile home to check in your room.
    Do you have a sample of the vanity stain? What are the other tile textures & colors in your house? The new tile should harmonize with any other tiles in other rooms.
    I'd buy the curtain and shower curtain last or toward the end. The wall paint is best chosen after the wallpaper (if you are using).
    You might have to return many shower curtains and tile samples. This is not unusual. It would be unusual to find the exactly right fabric or tile on the first try. I might choose a semi-sheer white or off white for the shower curtain, perhaps the same curtain for the window curtain and have a chrome rod at the window and the same shower rings you use at the shower area. These things are best decided later. The bathroom is not huge, so keeping things simple will be most effective. I'd want the beautiful tile and tub to be the divas in the room and let the shower curtain and curtain take a secondary role.
    PLAN Architecture, PLLC · More Info
    wkinzie thanked TanCalGal
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    I want to suggest mid tone gray porcelain floor in a linen finish, wont show dirt so much, then everything above needs to be white. White quartz top, white linen finish tile around the tub wall in a horizontal running bond. By matching texture but going clean and white you will have a clean feeling and you can play with a silver framed mirror, mercury glass holders for qtips/etc. Splurge on good toilet accessories - towel bars, hooks, tp holder all in same style as fixtures. Then, a b/w graphic wallpaper. Black on white or gray on white and wowsa.
    wkinzie thanked libradesigneye
  • PRO
    True North Quartz
    10 years ago
    The Torquay palette by Cambria quartz would be a great option for your countertops. It is manufactured to resemble the Carrera marble look, goes wonderfully with grey walls, and would help to brighten up your space.
    wkinzie thanked True North Quartz
  • PRO
    True North Quartz
    10 years ago
    Or if you're looking for a more solid white with less texture and grain, you may enjoy the White Cliff Cambria palette. I've attached a photo of the White Cliff counters used in a kitchen with grey walls. Hope this helps and good luck!
    wkinzie thanked True North Quartz
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH