0
cefandl

Sun loving plants still wilt in the sun?

cefandl

I am a bit of a newbie with gardening. We are growing tomatoes and a large trough of herbs -- the usual parsley, cilantro, basil, garlic chives, thyme. I'm not sure I'll ever really be able to do this as I always run into problems. First, the bottom leaves have begun to turn yellow on the basil and parsley. I read this can be from overwatering. But they also wilt in the afternoon sun. They are getting a full 8 hours of sun and the afternoon is quite direct. I wasn't sure if i still follow the rule of watering when it's dry two knuckles deep even when they wilt like this? The Thyme on the other hand, is brown at the base of the stems and looks dry. So I didn't think I was overwatering? But now I'm not confident in how I'm watering any of it. Do I hold off on the water even though the heat is making them droopy? Does it mean they need more? It's not just with veggies and herbs, it's with our Phlox and daisies which is a whole other game. I just can't seem to figure it out. Those flowers basically just shrivel up and die. The phlox is slowly turning yellow and the leaves are fully wilted. The little daisies turn brown and the bottom leaves are also yellow. Anyhow, I'm clearly confused onto how to grow a plant so any advice is greatly appreciated.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

For people to be able to start helping you we need to know where you are situated geographically, whether these plants are in the ground or in containers and preferably to see some photographs. Btw thyme is a sub shrub so the base is meant to be a bit woody.

cefandl thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • CA Kate z9

Here in Central Valley California I have needed to provide shade for my plants in the afternoon.

• cefandl

I'm just outside of Portland. The plants are in both the ground and in containers. The basil and parsley are in a galvanized trough. The phlox which is giving me some problems is in the ground on the west side of the house -- bottom leaves are yellowing and the leaves are drooping in the afternoon heat. The soil feels moist an inch down so I'm not sure if it got too much water or if the heat is causing the droop? The basil and parsley's soil feels damp when I put my finger down to my knuckle. I think I just get confused on the watering rules. Or maybe I'm just really not so great at this whole thing.

• Faith

If you have buds drying up that certainly doesn’t sound like an overwatering problem! I live in Colorado and many supposedly full-Sun plants benefit from some shade in the afternoon. The yellow leaves on your herbs: are they yellow and crispy, or quite lush with justt color off? Also, talk to us about the soil in your container. Is it new this year? Did you use potting mix, potting soul, garden soil, or something else? If it’s not New this year, did you fold in some new compost before you planted? Because pots need so much more water than ground, it’s easier for the soil to become depleted. In which case it’s likely not a watering issue at all!