Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ncrealestateguy

Disease Resistant Heirloom Tomato Garden For 2019

ncrealestateguy
5 years ago

I like to have a theme for my tomato garden every year. Next year, I am thinking about growing only heirloom varieties that are known to be more disease resistant than others. I am just too busy to baby my plants as far as weekly fungicide sprays and such. Here are a few that I will try. I would like other suggestions based on your past experiences.

Momotaro

Kellogs Breakfast

Persimmon

Polish Linguisa

Indian Stripe

Comments (10)

• Labradors
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If you can stand currant tomatoes, Sara's Galapagos is prolific. What amazed me is that it had a touch of Septoria/Early Blight quite early in the season, then it completely outgrew it and looked perfect for the rest of the season!

Linda

• digdirt2
    5 years ago

Aussie and Brad's Black Heart have both proven to me to have a high level of disease resistance. I'd also agree with your choice of Indian Stripe.

Dave

• marcantonio
    5 years ago

i would think some of the commercial heirlooms would be stronger against disease, campbells 1327, break'o day ect.

• marcantonio
    5 years ago

dave do you know anymore in the slicer categoery ?

• digdirt2
    5 years ago

marcantonio - just personal experience, no documentation. This year the best immunity I have had OP-wise was from Carbon Black and Arkansas Traveler but it may just be location of those plants (containers on west deck) or coincidence as AT hasn't been all that resistant in the past.

Dave

• marcantonio
    5 years ago

i've heard others say that arkansas traveler held up for them. its funny i got hit hard but the italian heirloom 10 fingers of naples has done well, most of my italian joes plum, are doing ok.except for cracking and damage from critters (bugs and birds) big beef held up well, beefy boy less so. my favorites fire ball went down and the mountain princes from w virginia produce and then died right away.

• marcantonio
    5 years ago

funny my first year of some container gardening, i used both organic and standard potting soil. didn't matter the container plants did alot worse disease wise. i planted everything in 10 to 15 gallon containers.

• fungus
    5 years ago

Which disease exactly is quite an important factor. But generally a high vigour variety will outgrow a mild attack, so they are generally seen as 'resistant'. From heirlooms all evidence is very anecdotal unfortunately since no one tested them against specific diseases, so best to just go for vigour.

• marcantonio
    5 years ago

alot of leaf spot diseases here on long island hot damp summers, mostly septoria. usually the diaconil keeps it at bay not this year. the straw mulch didn't help much either.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    5 years ago

Those look like good choices. If I prune to keep the foliage sparse, there's a good chance of little disease. If I let them grow dense, they're doomed, spaying or not. A little hotter and more humid here, but not much.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz