Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newportbabe31

Is it normal for leaves to look like this after repot to gritty mix?

newportbabe31
5 years ago

So I just repotted my fiddle leaf fig tree that I've had for about years and has shown no signs of growth at all since I've had it, but at the same time didn't seem to be dying. I thought after doing a lot of research on these forums it would be good to try Al's gritty mix.
I gathered all the ingredients and sifted it as described in the forums. I took the tree out of its soil and sprayed the roots with a hose to wash all of the old soil off, and did this at night out of the sun and was careful to keep rewriting the roots while I worked. I thought I would need to prune the roots a lot but when I looked at them they actually weren't too bad at all, so I only took just a few off that were J-hooked, but it wasn't like it was root bound like I thought. Then I secured it with rope to the pot and have been watering it every couple days now.
It's been about a week and half since then and some of the leaves towards the bottom are drying and shriveling up, and some have weird spots on them. Should I be alarmed?
I've gotten some dynagro foliage pro 9-3-6 to start fertilizing with in small doses like AL likes to do, but I figured I should wait a while to start fertilizing to give the roots time to heal. How long is a good amount of time to wait?
I haven't screwed up my tree have I?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry