Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_detzler

New Layout - OK Work Triangle?

Lauren Detzler
5 years ago
I posted previously here - https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5378598/range-next-to-fridge

We now have a new layout, utilizing the dining area. Is this an OK work triangle (it’s less than 25 feet total)? Are there any issues with having an island in front of the patio door? It would be quite a few feet away.

Comments (7)

• herbflavor
    5 years ago

square out the island...basically centering it more in the space....two stools on each of two sides then. You'll have wider walkway between range and island and you'll have more space on fridge side as well. relationship of island to patio door is secondary to kitchen walkways. I might move the range to the left a bit. A centered square island with two seated people on two sides and beautiful pendant lights will make a nicer destination for seating in my opinion.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

That is still a long walk from fridge to sink so moving the sink to the right is a good idea and please get a counter depth fridge. Is the wall where the range is an outside wall ? I think you could do better with the space . The patio door should be centered on the wall and IMO a patio door used often is never good in a kitchen but without more info hard to know about that. If this is new construction then go back to the drawing board and do not let your architect design your kitchen.

• K R
    5 years ago
    The sink being so close to the oven seems like it will be annoying, can you move it over further to the right?
  • PRO
    DIY Cabinet Warehouse
    5 years ago

Is it too late to move the window and the patio doors? If you could move both the window and the patio doors more to the right it would look more symmetrical. You could make the window slightly wider and center the sink under the window. I would remove the uppers between the window and the patio door if possible. Maybe some floating shelves? That will give you more room between the stove and the sink. The island seems to be in an ok position, if the patio door slides down to the right and the left door is the functioning one, it will work out just fine.

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

Not ideal. Do you have a separate place for a dining table? If not, consider a table in place of island (for significantly less money, too).

I’d change that slider to a single door and/or move the sink window down.

• Lauren Detzler
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is not a new build and we are not moving any windows or doors. That would get way too costly. There is separate part of the room on the other side for the dining table that is about the same size. We like looking out into our backyard from the sink area, so moving it away from the window will also not work.