Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerryvarwig

How do you feel about a different bathroom look for each bathroom?

kerryvarwig
5 years ago

Should you match every cabinet style and color for flow, or surprise with the unexpected look?

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Lane Williams Architects
    5 years ago

As an architect, I prefer consistency in the interior finishes and details, but I know interior designers who regard each room as a new opportunity to create a special environment.

kerryvarwig thanked Lane Williams Architects
  • gigirambles
    5 years ago

I'm not a designer or an architect; but to me, I would think that it wouldn't matter. Each room is it's own space so if you want different cabinets or colors, go for it. Finishes, I'm less sure about. I prefer all the door knobs match, but that's just me.

kerryvarwig thanked gigirambles
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

There are people in both camps. I like consistency in bathrooms- not carbon copies, but a cohesiveness. In my house all the faucets and toilets in the bathrooms are the same. I used marble in all of them as well, though my sons have a different mosaic from what I have. All the vanities are wall hung, but they are not all the same color. Some will say that leads to an commercial/hotel feeling.

Of course the powder room is a different story and that one can get all gussied up. That is a cliché, to be sure, but it's a fun room to play with anyway.

kerryvarwig thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • AJCN
    5 years ago

We recently re-modeled 4 bathrooms. The office/guest bathroom used pretty much the same materials and overall look/colors as the master bath. The hall/boys' bathroom had kind of a masculine and a little bit of a more dressed-up look. And the girls' bathroom which is inside their room and not open to the hall, had a unique girly look that they chose. So 2 of them pretty much matched (master and office/guest), and 2 didn't.

kerryvarwig thanked AJCN
  • AJCN
    5 years ago

My friend is using the same floor tile as the master in her upstairs bathrooms, but she is varying the size and shape. She used large format tiles on the master floor, and she's using the same material but in a hex on the upstairs bath floors. She's also using the same paint and finishes on the fixtures, knobs, etc. So there's some consistency there but not a total replica.

kerryvarwig thanked AJCN
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago

I have a contemporary, open space house which I think is better suited to a fairly cohesive look. I think a more traditional house would be perfectly happy with individualized bathrooms.

kerryvarwig thanked jmm1837
  • Jane
    5 years ago

I think individual is OK as long as they are well thought out. One of my bathrooms is more feminine and the other is more masculine. Since I designed them both, they probably have a similar style.

I was a huge fan of “Sarah’s House” and I remember each room was designed differently with a specific audience in mind. I think matching bathrooms are boring, but it would be easy to repeat elements of each in different ways.

kerryvarwig thanked Jane
  • redoredone
    5 years ago

Our bathrooms have the same counter tops and cabinets, but the floors and the overall look is different in each.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

There needs to be consistency throughout the house in terms of style, in terms of color palette, in terms of overall design and cohesiveness. That does not mean that everything has to be same or has to match exactly. But no, every room should not be an unexpected look. I would keep the main things the same, like cabinets. Now maybe they're not the same color, but it's the same cabinetry. It's the same hardware, maybe not in the same finish. So there is room for differences, but a running consistent theme is present otherwise it's going to get real hodge-podgey on you and it's going to make the home feel like it wasn't properly thought out and was piecemealed together. Specifically in terms of bathrooms, I think the master bathroom has to be the most special of all of the bathrooms in the home. So I would save the "best" colors and finishes for the master.

To give an example, I have two different colors of the same cabinetry in my kitchen (a dark and a light). I used the light cabinetry in all of the guest bathrooms and laundry room for a cleaner look, and i used the dark cabinetry in the master bathroom for a more dramatic look. I used the same hardware (pulls and knobs) throughout the house, but I used different finishes in the kitchen and different in the master bath, and then I kept all of the guest bathrooms and laundry room in the same finish. I used different granite for the kitchen and for the master, but the guest bathrooms and laundry rooms are the same. Find things, whether it's a specific color or a specific texture or specific design element, and then subtly repeat them throughout the home.

kerryvarwig thanked cpaul1
  • Bev
    5 years ago

I decorate each room, rather it's a bathroom, bedroom, living room, and so forth differently. I do not paint the rooms the same color nor do I worry about having the same finishes in every room except for one--I do love bright, white semi-gloss trim in all of my rooms! I do make sure that when you can see another room from one room, ie the dining room from the living room that the colors compliment each other and do not clash.

kerryvarwig thanked Bev
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

I heartily agree with cpaul1....and it also makes the home appear larger.

kerryvarwig thanked chiflipper
  • Belahn
    5 years ago

And I heartily DISAGREE with cpaul1 and chiflipper. I like too many different things to do every room the same. My husband has his bathroom and I have mine and we each do our own thing. Mine has a lot of white and aqua with crystal sconces and chandelier. It's very feminine. His is neutral tiles with wood cabinets and is much more masculine. Completely different hardware and cabinets. Mine has a tub and shower and his has only a big shower. The powder room is different from both bathrooms with a pedestal sink and toilet. Completely different colors and light fixtures.

kerryvarwig thanked Belahn
  • grannysmith18
    5 years ago

I think a house should have a unified look - not modern in one room and colonial in the next. Also, the colors of the house should have a similar tone.

But beyond that, I like the bathrooms to be different - when they're all the same it feels like a hotel.

kerryvarwig thanked grannysmith18
  • bossyvossy
    5 years ago

All my cabinetry is same but I bet not one person would say my bathrooms look similar in any way. I deliberately decorated this way. Wasn’t hard to do.

kerryvarwig thanked bossyvossy
  • jmm1837
    5 years ago
    Hrmmph. My bathrooms are pretty much the same. But then, I like hotels ;)
    kerryvarwig thanked jmm1837
  • K Laurence
    5 years ago

All three of mine are slightly different, white cabinets, similar, but different styles. Same neutral flooring but different colors on the walls. All upstairs baths have white towels & polished nickel hardware. The powder room downstairs is very different, dark walls,& cabinets, aged brass hardware, etc. a totally different look from the upstairs baths.

kerryvarwig thanked K Laurence
  • redoredone
    5 years ago

I love the insight I get from the differing opinions expressed in these threads. It would never occur to me that the same cabinets throughout a home looks builders grade, especially when the cabinets actually are custom. I've heard people express just the opposite opinion, too. Truly a case of "to each his own".

kerryvarwig thanked redoredone
  • bossyvossy
    5 years ago

Many older custom homes have high quality, all or most, same cabinetry throughout

kerryvarwig thanked bossyvossy
  • User
    5 years ago

none of my bathrooms match in material or color. The master ensuite complements the master bedroom, somewhat calm. The guest bathroom is more fun and more colorful. Unless the bathrooms are next to each other, explore your wild side.

kerryvarwig thanked User
  • palimpsest
    5 years ago

Mine are all different but have unified elements and all are in a mid-century style.

kerryvarwig thanked palimpsest