Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryb56

New home, newlyweds starting from scratch! Oh my!

maryb56
5 years ago
This home is classified Victorian, however I think it might lend itself to other styles. Maybe eclectic? Beginning with kitchen...bar stool suggestions? Other?

Comments (47)

• sonni1
    5 years ago

Victorian? not seeing it.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    5 years ago

Well it might have been Victorian once but the previous owners did an out of era renovation. Is the rest of the home more Victorian? I think changing out the lighting and backsplash to something more classic and less eclectic would make it blend with the rest of the home style more.

• Sonsoles de Lacalle
    5 years ago
    Definitely not victorian..... Maybe the exterior? Those pink pendants and the blue backsplash could be changed.....
  • sonni1
    5 years ago

The pendants and the backsplash say modern - the paneled doors, window mouldings and cabinets look more traditional style. FWIW, my non professional opinion is that homes that are decorated in the same or similar styles look better than those in which styles are mixed. The backsplash can probably be incorporated into a traditional look, but I think the pendants should be changed out.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Faux Victorian, I guess. Or maybe modern Victorian, if there is such a thing. Cute house, but I don't know who came up with this kitchen color scheme.

I simply recolored the backsplash to better match the counters here, but give me a few minutes. I have an idea that might better meld the two and continue the "modern Victorian" style.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

It's labeled Victorian because of this:

It was built in 1990.

• gm_tx
    5 years ago

Congrats on your new home! (and new hubby!)

Changing out the pendants alone would make a world of difference.

Just take it one thing at a time, and don't feel like you need to make a ton of changes right off the bat. Homes are a constant work in progress. Live in the space for a while until you decide what you need/want, and can prioritize.

• Nancy Walton
    5 years ago

More "Farmhouse" to me. Victorian implies gingerbread, and these lines are more austere.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Cement tile backsplash, appropriate for Victorian and modern homes:

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grover you amaze me! How did you find that pic?? Must have been on pics I copied! Lol.
    We know backsplash and lighting needs to go! What kind of stools and lighting for kitchen??

Here’s the upstairs room. How do you decorate. Please discard wall decor! Other owner. Lol
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

New backsplash, lights, paint (not sure on exact color, but I would go warm instead of the green), and two bar stools for your consideration. The leather stools are pricey, but I sat in one and thought I was back in the womb, so I had to recommend it. Would make a nice housewarming gift from Mom. ;-)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Mary, I found all 36 pics on Zillow. I'm a wizard dog, don't you know?

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Mary, I can't do too much in the living room till I see what your mother has painted to go over the mantel, but a fine Persian rug can go modern or Victorian. That said, I would definitely replace that fan. This is Minka Aire's Artemis which goes well with the wood trim.

• pennydesign
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Grover did a google search by images and came up with the listing photos...Personally, I don't care for that, I think it's a bit invasive. I'm sure if you wanted us all to see all of your home, you would have posted the photos yourself. Just my opinion, only.

Congratulations on your new home!!

Personally, I love the backsplash the way it is. It adds some color and whimsy.

Pretty kitchen. Pretty house.

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

no privacy on the interweb for sure.... if you post a photo thats been posted online, its matchable.

• pennydesign
    5 years ago

True. But why not leave the option to those who the house belongs to?

Mary, are you bringing any furnishings with you?

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

ah, you mean, pretend it can't be done. i think most people know it can be done. the bad guys know. and now our OP knows.

if you take your own photos, google cant match them. now you know.

• pennydesign
    5 years ago

No nini. NOT pretend. Leave the option to the poster to post them if they so desire...

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry I didn’t know about photos being traced but thanks for info!! I’m not a newlywed but my daughter is and it’s their first home. They are the planning to purchase furniture etc. but will also use hand me downs! Lol
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    The kitchen is definitely not Victorian. I am not liking the pink pendant lights with the turquoise backsplash. The rest of the kitchen is quite current.
    Even if the exterior of the house is Victorian, you are not required to follow any specific style. Use your own style. If you like to mix it up a bit, go ahead. I wouldn't mix farmhouse with Victorian or Midcentury Modern, but you are probably bringing things you owned separately into your first home together, and there may be a mixture of styles from your single lives. Use what you have, decide which things don't work and replace them as you find the "right" pieces.
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    By the way, Groveraxle, I always enjoy your picture renditions and comments.
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Maybe we need to change the lights to turquoise to match the backsplash! LOL

• pennydesign
    5 years ago

Do they not care for the backsplash? I think if you go the gray or plain white subway tile route it won't be as charming..

I can see what the previous owners where trying to do with the pink lights, but pink is difficult for me, so I would change those. But they might like pink...

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

I find the turquoise backsplash incongruous with the countertops which look, in the closeup, to be a brownish with red undertone. It's why I went with a neutral encaustic tile.

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks...the lights are red...I think she was trying the last gel was aiming for red and turquoise.
  • pennydesign
    5 years ago

Well, I love the backsplash but it's not my house (I noticed the jars on the counter and I love those, too!)

I don't know how much room they have in reality, but I like these for this space...they remind me of my art teachers stool waaaayyy back in the day :)

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sooo Grover....the newly weds are thinking minimal farmhouse with a few eclectic pieces for living room??? Can that be done?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Anything can be done, Mary. Whether I can make it look good is another question. But you know I'm always up for a challenge. And minimal farmhouse is an intriguing notion. Let me give it a go.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

What do you think of this? Or more properly, what does she think?

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    They live everything but the stools....do you have sources for tile and lights? Or even lights? Other options for stools. Of course I like it!
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Modern Furniture and Decor for your Home and Office · More Info

https://www.cementtileshop.com/

https://www.cletile.com/collections/cement-tile-encaustic-cement

Lots of places have different tiles. Google "cement tile" or "encaustic tile" and you'll get a bunch in addition to the two above.

For bar stools, do they like any of these?

Trent Austin Design Gonesse 30.75" Bar Stool & Reviews | Wayfair · More Info

court 30" bar stool | CB2 · More Info

Tig Bar Stools with Cushion | Crate and Barrel · More Info

roadhouse black leather bar stools | CB2 · More Info

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok we love the metal bar stool best! Source please!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

click on the link in green that says, More Info. that's your source.

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I don’t have a link on my cell that has more info.
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Awesome Grover!! Looks like a plan for the kitchen! C & B barstools and light will work on tile. They are wanting a comfortable sofa and chair for the living area. Can you put something together without art?
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

So this is the bar stool they like?

OK, I'm kinda flyin' blind here. It would help if they could choose a couple of inspiration pictures and say what they do and don't like about them. Or find a room that they'd like to capture the ambience of. How about starting an ideabook just for them and get your daughter and her DH to fill it?

In the meantime, let me see if I can do something approaching "minimal farmhouse."

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok...no, the one they like is the metal one, the third one, she said modern farmhouse....
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

That is the third stool; it just has the optional leather seat in my rendering, but you can get it without. Just don't sit on it in shorts.

maryb56 thanked groveraxle
  • maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago

LOL on shorts! Ok since we are on vacation I had them take some time to formulate an idea book, Hayley & Jesse...and.....he's actually liking your renditions! I was surprised he liked the Tig stool.....both Hayley and I picked but didn't tell him!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Thanks, Mary. I'll go look at it now.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Hi, Mary. Haven't forgotten you. It's not quite coming together for me today. I have one concept, but I wanted at least two to start. Here's what I have so far.

I'm working on a scheme with blue, but inspiration hasn't yet hit.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

A few more looks for you:

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We love what you are pulling together of course! Their concern is a white sofa because of Margo their viszla shedding....the leather seems best option! Expensive I'm sure!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

That leather sofa is West Elm's Hamilton. Not too too pricey.

A white sofa can be done with slipcovers, but they are a pain to take off and put on.

• maryb56
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Grover....new link for my daughter’s home.....have fun!

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/newlyweds-new-move-new-home-dsvw-vd~5493144