englishlies2000

Wood chips free to your home

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
last modified: July 27, 2018

Well, my husband found some wood chips that is delivered to your house free of charge in a truck load . I believe they are connected to states drop. However, they do ask a question what kind of chips and what you do not want as well.
I am not sure about mulch and I was wondering what kind will you pick ? I bought mine and I am wondering for next year but whoever wants it here is the add to website.Next comment will be a pic since I can't load here. Yesterday, I had a longest day which I am still very sorry from working in my yard. My earthworms came 1 day ahead. I was in my yard fighting with day light and over work myself with heat and also put in my 8 hours at workon top of it.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

JC, I think it is wonderful, but I hope your garden community friends can help you use it up.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

I count the humps...looks at least 4 trucks. Well, start telling rose society near you... Free mulch !

I feel so awful. I really did.... for putting this idea in your head but in couple of years I hope you can laugh at this pic. I am truly SORRY !!

Even go to Home Depot and Lowe's..why pay..it is free here which might get you more in trouble..nevermind don't listen to me.

Hey, even those customers with landscaping..tell them save all that money..natural real wood chips free....

Jin

Does painting the exerior of your house add value?

Paint adds value if it fits the neighborhood and the colors are not wild. Dressing up the curb appeal with landscaping might be in order to add color and leaf interest. Fresh paint and well maintained exterior are noticed. Any freshening and updating you add to a home adds some value. Some interior and exterior projects add more vs others.

Would a tech-free day work in your home?

chookchook, this is going heavily off topic... I may not be a "celebrity mum", but I only gained 16 pounds during pregnancy, and lost 24 pounds during the first two postpartum weeks, without seeing a gym. I only have amazing midwives (I don't feel I need an obstetrician - most of European moms never see one unless there are serious complications!), and none of them seemed worried with my gardening, horseback riding and training, tree climbing with lopping shears (yes, I did that while expecting) until about halfway through my pregnancy, when my body told me to take it easy, and now they are just fine with me doing light gardening. Nonetheless, the milk supply would feed a second baby just fine. :) I think the "you're fine, you can take it easy" is for c-section patients, or mothers whose physical condition wasn't really "athletic" to start with, since starting a new physically demanding exercise regime during pregnancy or right after would be beyond stupidity. If you're already hiking up mountains or riding rodeo horses before getting pregnant, you can keep up an exercise regime that would be too heavy for someone who just sponges around. That's where the midwives are awesome - they really tailor their care to every individual patient, not some average, or for the lowest common denominator, because every woman is different, and should be treated as such.

Eight home improvement ideas guaranteed to add value to your home

Hey Sally, these are some great home improvement ideas. I have one to add a home Elevator. They add great value and accessibility to your home. Check out our website to learn more!

New home, granite island corner is chipped off and other issues

Had a meeting with the builder team. Builder team inspected the granite island with us and we showed them all the pictures we had taken before they filled the chipped areas. Plus today they found more issues including small cracks in the island. Builder verbally agreed on changing the island only. And said they will ask me to approve the slab for granite that is matching with the rest of the counters. My granite is White Spring and it has lot of characters and variations and also color changes with the every new slab. When I went to choose 3 slabs, granite guy suggested me to choose from the same lot otherwise each slab will be different since it is natural stone. I hope builder will agree on changing everything. Since seams of the counter has visible gap and backsplash joint behind the sink and joint in front of the sink is also not aligned. And counter in front of the Pantry is also chipped off at multiple places. Stairway paint : Builder is not ready to take care of it right now. Verbally they are promising in the future (before warranty expires), if the paint starts peeling off, they will paint the whole structure once again. And not ready to put this in writing. I wish this meeting had scheduled earlier. We are now only 24 HOURS away from closing date. And I have to still wait for the concrete solution on the issues we have reported. Thank you everyone for your support.
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Wait a min...I just saw something what else it says...I copy it then circle it in red...

Jin

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

Oh I’m not upset, just annoyed. I will call the builder and ask them to push the piles out. I don’t think it will be a problem.

Don’t forget, no one knows that I asked for this! It looks like it was just more junk dumped at the end of the road. Lots of construction extras get shoved back there.

I can use a lot of it, but I’m afraid most will go to waste.

Its definitely a success as long as I can get the pile moved further back!

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

Jin, here is the rest of the email:

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Oh that is great. Well, get your gloves and wheelbarrow.....it is gardening time. Have lots of fun mulching. It is great to know that they will take the extras back.

Jin

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

My mountain of wood chips looked almost that big. I refresh my mulched areas every year, and even though I have often said it will last a lifetime, I am actually seeing the pile decrease as it decomposes. I imagine the stuff at the bottom will be totally composted by the time I get to it. The mulch you spread in your beds will decompose, so you will be layering on more every year. Your neighbors ought to be thrilled to have access to it. If they don't already know the benefits, refer them to some of the websites that explain. And, your local garden clubs will want to hug you if you offer it to them.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • cedemas

I finally got my chips today, after a second request. But, this is only after I bought 40 bales of pine needles. The irony is that I only just finished spreading them earlier today. And now I have a mountain of wood chips, too.

I can still use them. There are tons of places to put them.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked cedemas
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
    That is awesome Cedemas. I hope your roses will enjoy it. what kind did you get as wood chips ?
    jin
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Yeah! How much did you get? I'm still working on my pile from almost two years ago. I should be doing that now, but too much action on here! : 0

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • cedemas

It looks like mixed species. There is a lot of composted material, some wood chips of varying sizes, all small, and lots of leafy matter--different kinds of leaves. Some are small, dark green, and pointed, and others are lighter green and much larger.

• Lisa Adams

Hi guys. I’m just letting you know that Jin texted me yesterday saying that she was trying to comment on this post. Once again, she’s unable to post anything at all:( I just thought I’d let you know, since she’s SO frustrated and can’t respond here. I really wish Houzz would get it together.

Jc, that’s an impressive amount of mulch, Holy Moly! I’m using the mulch from my chipped up olive tree. It does smell wonderful. Lisa

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Lisa Adams
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

That is great Cedemas and Lisa. Both of you are doing great next will be my turn hopefully in Spring 2019 since I bought mine. I am so happy for you Cedemas Bec you need so much of mulch and I am so glad it got delivered to you instead of buying.

Lisa, I bet your mulch smells so good. I can only imagine.

Jin

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

Oooh, olive tree mulch! That sounds like it would be super expensive if you bought it. I've never heard anyone mention it in mulch discussions before. Do let us know how it works for you, Lisa.

• cedemas

JIn, no, I still had to buy. I bought 40 bales of pine needles and then after I finished spreading, that's when I got my wood chips delivered free.

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

I hear you , Cedemas. I know you paid a lot esp for 40 bales and I can imagine the price tag. But, I am grateful that you got your chips delivered taht was what I meant. Sorry, I was not so clear.

Jin

• summersrhythm_z6a

Thanks Plumeria Girl! I just signed up. will see if I get any wood chip load for the garden. I could use 20 yards just for the rose garden here in NY to keep the weeds down.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

No problem, Summers. Vap did remind me of putting all the types you dont want that is harmful like walnuts. She mentioned 4 or 5 but i cant remember .

Happy Thanksgiving !

I cant wait for Spring so i can see your rose trees :)

• summersrhythm_z6a

Happy Thanksgiving! I can’t find Vap’s post about what chips to void. Hopefully she sees this and repost. I am going to edit my request to no walnut for now. Thanks for mentioning it. :-)

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I'll have to check my notes, but walnut is the main culprit. Of course, it's good in some ways because few things will grow beneath it! I had a huge truck load delivered in Oct. and used it all right away. I need another one. It was pine and smells lovely especially when it rains or I walk on it. I will hopefully have tons of oak chips when they take down the remainder of my huge oak. : ((

• summersrhythm_z6a

Thanks Vap! I updated my request to no walnut. Hopefully I will get a truck load soon. 20 yards would be great. Just bought a rental house, took all the rugs and padding out. I remember someone mentioned in the past to use old rug for weeds, but it shouldn't be good to the gardens though, it would block fertilizer or treatment to the soil. I think I am going to put them out on a garbage day.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I use rugs extensively for weed suppression, but only until I can kill them and get something planted in their place. It's worked better than anything else I've tried for rampant and invasive things. Otherwise, it's just like using landscape fabric which I detest. I do have some down semi-permanently until I have the energy to haul chips up the hill. : ((

• summersrhythm_z6a

It would be hard for me to use rugs, I packed many roses close together, I'd need small pieces everywhere in the garden. Put the old rug and padding out by the street. DH signed up the country place for the wood chips too. Will see which location gets it first.

• suncoastflowers

We used chip drop and I was thrilled.. the hubby, less so. He would have liked half s much, but we did need the whole amount.

Use what you can and then invite people you know to come and get some from the pile.

It breaks down really fast since it isn't just made of bark so you can pile it ridiculously high.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked suncoastflowers
  • summersrhythm_z6a

Thanks suncoastflowers! That’s nice to know. I didn’t know to ask for chips when the tree services cut down 9 trees in my yard. 4 of them were huge ash trees about 50-60’ tall. Lily requested too, but she has never received a load, so I am not sure if I ‘d get any, but I have to give it a try. :-) 20 yards sounds wonderful!!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

It’s worked so well for me too. Been spreading another load the past few days. Everywhere we’ve put it has turned into the most beautiful crumbly soil. If the ground is dry, you’ll want to wet it first, especially if you are putting it down thick. I didn’t do that in a few places the first few times, and it just stayed dead gray underneath. Then read that the microbes need moisture under there to do their thing.

My process is spray-moisten the ground, then for pathways or between plants stack several layers of thick furniture box cardboard, then about 6-8 inches of wood chip mulch. We do this 2x year, and it has dramatically improved our soil. Weed pulling is so much easier, and there’s so many earthworms. If I need extra planting soil, I will scrape up the almost-broken down mulch (it’s nearly compost after a year) and fill in low areas around my plants with it. I usually do this right before we put down a new layer, since we use this for pathways and I’d rather use the good humusy stuff for plants. :-)

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Yes, summers. The carpet is really only good for areas without plantings, although I was lucky enough to snag some horsehair underlay and that is great as it breaksbdown eventually and was easy to cut. I don't know what made me think to ask when they took down my oak, but it was one of my few inspired moments! : D I guess I saw the dump truck full of chips and knew how much I needed them. Plus, I loved that tree and felt good that it never left its home in a way, although I know that's silly. Suncoastflowers, it's amazing how deep one can lay them and how soft and spongy they are to walk on. PnP, that's exactly how I do mine, except certainly NOT 2x a year! A path would need more maintenance, but you must be muscle woman. I did find the pine chips lighter than the oak, however.

I hope you don't have long to wait, summers. I never thought I'd get mine, but once you meet the tree people, I think they're more apt to drop off at your place in the future. One word of warning: be very specific where you want them. I thought I was and they still got it wrong and piled it next to the trunk of a large tree, such that I had to quickly remove that bit to prevent suffocating it. No biggie, but I'd have liked to have moved it at my own pace.

• suncoastflowers

Perma -I take scrapings from the soil under the chips too!

• summersrhythm_z6a

Now I can't wait to get a load! :-) I hope the wait won't be long. I am in the process putting straw around the roses now, still have a long way to go.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

How did I miss this thread..Just signed up!

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Ok I just watched the video on their site. We have a ditch in front of our property and it runs all the way down the street for drainage for everyone's properties due to rain etc. There is only a small strip of grass in front of this ditch and no sidewalk. Then the street which cant be blocked.

On the video, they were saying they might dump it ANYWHERE. Now I'm nervous they would dump it in the ditch..there's plenty of room on the side of the driveway but its a narrow driveway they would have to come down aways and then back into the yard and dump. ..does anyone think they would just dump it in the ditch?

• summersrhythm_z6a

You can tell them where you want them to dump. Did you miss that? Now you can log back in and edit your order, make sure you tell them where to dump.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I didnt technically order yet..i just made the account, signed in and started watching the video lol..on the video they were saying they just come any random time and dump it..

Well good to know.

Now if I could just find a free truckload of good dirt. I am making five 4x8 raised beds.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Just went out and checked my wheelbarrow and found I am going to have to replace it before I start a big moving project. I knew I prob would grr. I need one that dumps,so maybe I will just get a big dump wagon.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I‘ve had great luck with the company I use, being very accommodating. I’m sure they’ve done long driveways before, but the big no-go seems to be power lines. To dump the truck it has to have clearance above.

Sultry, I have a Rubbermaid wheelbarrow that I highly recommend. I bought mine almost 20 years ago, but I noticed HD still sells them. We’ve done countless loads with it and its still in remarkable shape. (I have to give my DH credit, he he’s hauled most of them) but I do all the spreading. If he’s not available, I’ll haul loads in my gorilla cart, because I can only do a few loads with the wheelbarrow full, but I can haul the gorilla cart for hours.

Vap, I’ve used a lot of carpet myself. I try to get really old carpet that’s off-gassed most of its formaldehyde and other yuck out by now. It really does a good job of blocking those stubborn weeds. And it can’t be that bad for the soil, because wherever we’ve taken it up, it’s been an earthworm free-for-all under the protection of the carpet, based on how prolific they are under there. Rain, wellwater, all soaks through it quite nicely. :-)

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Meant to also say Sultry, you’ll have great soil in a few months wherever you pile it up. :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Thanks Perma! Luckily the utility wires run on the side of the porperty between us and our only close neighbor and away from the driveway. It sounds like it will all work out then. This reminds me, I have some old carpet stored in the shed. I was saving it for putting under a pond liner for an ingound pond when I make one lol. I guess I can always get more.

Winter is a good time to do this crazy heavy work here. I dont want to do anything outside here come May or June :)

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Jasmin, dont skip working outside like pulling weeds. I did that and my weeds won. It took me forever to do back breaking labor plus daily rain never helped. I managed to control it but then i realized this are invasive species that can moved up to be number 1 invasive in Fl. I battling with it horribly and i cant do much bec my other neighbor is dont care type. It is growing from her yard. I am trying to mind my own business but it is getting out of control and spreading seeds.

Vap, thanks for the tip about carpet. Next time i saved mine when i replaced in a few years.

Summer, I am so happy that Vap replied. It wad nit on a thread but she text me information.

Perma, you are going to have one of the best soil in Florida. You been doing chips for a while and now you can throw your chicken dirty hay into the compost. Like the most famous saying goes " Feed the soil". I am so into that philosophy which is so true esp for Floridians . Everything leeches out .

Summer, you are so right that fresh chips break down SO FAST. One of the neighbors down the street had an Oak tree removed. I took as much as i can. I though it will last longer. I was so wrong. Opps !! Had to buy from HD :((

I need to buy a wagon too. I have none. Thanks Perma for the Rubbermaid. I have to check that out next time :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

DH said he ordered a heavy dump cart wagon not sure which one but it has a solid tough interior.

I have a few of the steel mesh type wagons but they dont dump. One is new and one is so old its basically used as a rolling potting bench lol. I pot up my seedlings etc, water them in, then pull it over to my fenced in garden area where I keep my seedlings so chickens, cats, etc dont knock them over.

My soil is pretty good here. Since 2010 we've been composting chicken & rabbit manure and also doing some vermicomposting inder the bunny hutches and dumping it into the gardens and flowerbeds. Sometimes we add cow, goat or horse manure. DH dumps grass and leaves into the compost as well. We have few acres of grass that gets cut and a few acres of pines that shed needles. Leaves go everywhere from the Oaks, Maples, Gums, Magnolias, etc.

I have a lot of huge hungry tropical plants to feed lol.

Jin you are right about the weeds but

the butterflies and bees absolutely adore some of them like Spanish Needles etc., though so I leave some around the property.

I've never seen so many different varieties of bees and butterflies on a plant, as I do on Spanish Needles. They have their pick of dozens of butterfly plants and flowers on the property and still pick those weeds if they are flowering so they must be pretty good or have some nutrients they need and we never use poison. I know they possess some health properties in the roots and leaves for humans so they are probably good for bees & butterflies as well.

Usually, we get a good freeze late Dec or early January that knocks the weeds back for awhile.

• sharon2079

sultry.... I leave a few spanish needles too.... neighbors complain.... I don't see why there are only a couple of plants and they are mixed in with the butterfly weed (which they love) and other butterfly plants. To me it just looks like a small daisy.....

oh well.... the butterflies and ladybugs LOVE it.....

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked sharon2079
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

The honeybees really love them and they need all the help thay can get right now. I know I have seen a huge increase in honeybees lately. If I had hives, I would plant these near it. This really makes me wonder if honeybees and other insects rely on certain weeds to keep their immune systems healthy..not just hybrid man developed flowers/plants but good old fashioned species of weeds which people exterminate with poisons and banish from homes, buisnesses, schools etc. Spanish needles has immune properties, antibacterial, antifungal, and other stuff. http://www.eattheweeds.com/spanish-needles-pitchfork-weed/

I dont know if our neighbors complain or not. I suspect not since we are a little rural and some of them are doing far worse things, Im sure, than growing some weeds. One is always shooting off fireworks a few times a year..I mean the HuGE ones not firecrackers or sparklers. Pretty sure they are illegal in our county lol. Some are still burning their yard waste which is also illegal here now and a big fine.

I hate the 'needles' seeds from those plant they are such a PIA to get out of one's clothing hair etc so I try to keep them far away from the walkways. They just grab right on to anything. Since I have light hair, if they get in there, it literally looks like I have lice or something LOL!!!

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

They are a native plant and the leaves are edible for tea and eating.

• Rosefolly

Your soil will get superior benefit if the arborists mulch includes leaves as well as woody material.

One caveat: if you live in a wildfire prone area, you should not use wood-based mulch of any sort within a minimum of 5 feet of the house. Ten feet is even safer. Wind-borne sparks can smoulder and ignite. It is one of the many things you can do to reduce wildfire risk.

But on the rest of your property, and everywhere if you do not live in a wildfire risk area, arborist waste is a wonderful mulch, and free. Plus, you are keeping it out of the landfill, so it is a win for them as well as a win for you.

Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b) thanked Rosefolly
  • flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA

I'd never heard of arborist wood chip mulch until we had some tall pines felled - between 40 and 50 - some years ago. We've had more taken out since then. The tree guys took the logs but mulched the branches and left a mountain of it on the property. They told us to use it in the garden. I had no idea what they were talking about, but a friend happened to mention the same thing just days later, so I researched it and found that I had a mountain of gold out back. The difference it made in only one season was miraculous. I didn't lose a single rose that winter. I was accustomed to losing 10 or more. Weeds that used to snap off at the ground now pulled out as if out of butter. Worms are plentiful where I had none before. My pale gray dead soil became rich and dark. Trees with real leaves are even more beneficial than pine, but pine is what I had on the property, and for some reason, the experts say to use trees that are common to your area. I love the look of dark, rich compost on the rose beds, but the benefits of arborist wood chip mulch can't be denied. There is some good info on this site: https://s3.wp.wsu.edu/uploads/sites/403/2015/03/wood-chips.pdf

• Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)

Jasmin, i never knew the name of that 'sticky sticks' and now i know Spanish needles. I pulled tons of them out a few weeks ago when the temp was barely 50's. No bees and no wasps so i could pulled them out. i read about it since you gave the name. it is very bee friendly, butterflies and lady bugs. i have many places it is growing at. I will leave a patch for the pollinators.

i hate to pulled them off my socks, shoes and clothing's. They are Sharp needles that really irritated me.

There is another weed that sticks besides the one you mentioned. It looks like very small flat round oval shape. Very hard to get it off if it gets in- bedded in the fabrics. i never know which weed it belongs to....?

Sharon, they look like white Daisy's. Mine kind of exploded and they started to grow in my rose beds. Best part they ' bite' whenever i am pruning or watering . My poor , poor cat is loaded with it and we have to brush it out. Takes forever :{

Rosefolly, you gave great advises and i learned a lot from you. Very well spoken and you are absolutely right !!

Flowers, i read about them before and if you get some wood chips from Arborist would be better. They know their product and where it comes from. They are like encyclopedia of forest. i believe you are right that mulch cannot be denied esp if it is free.

jin

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Do you have desmodium or hackaelia (sp?), Jin? Those are two other stickies.

• suncoastflowers

I leave some Spanish Needles for the bees too..they are the number two food source fir bees in our area.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Jin, are the other weed seeds flat little bean shaped green seedpods that stick to you? It might be Beggarweed seeds. I hate those things too. They are hard to get off.

I used to have the sweetest little Key West hen named Sunflower, that loved those seedpods. I would get them stuck all over my jacket and I would go pick her up and she would pick off every one of those seeds and eat them up lol.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

My chickens love the Spanish Needle, so I leave it in patches, too. It’s actually pretty when it’s nice and green, with the little white flowers. But yes, those seeds are serious! My hens will pick those off of me, too. So cute! :-)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

The spanish needles could prob be dead headed before they went to seed with a pair of scissors if one just had a few. Wild birds eat the seeds but I'm sure many slip by and go all over the place besides in our clothes lol.

I took these one day when there were lots of butterflies on a sunny patch of Spanish Needles.

They look kinda pretty in a simple old fashioned way with roses too.