Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heatherleeferg

Need help with everything in this small space !!!!

I recently moved into a small townhouse...
I have purchased a few things which I love but it just doesn't seem to be coming together !There are three steps up to the dining area ( a little 70's)
and I would like to coordinate some of the colors. I'm trying to keep it neutral but as you can see I have some different blues and greens .Please ! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated . I am renting, would rather not paint although I wish the walls were white ......I do like an " artsy look" but also love cozy . Love the saddle leather color also .thankyou !!!

Comments (69)

• Bev
    5 years ago

I would choose accent pillows that will match the rug you already have.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

Wow- talk about monitor color distortion on your sofa! What color are your walls? Parts look gold other areas beige. Yes, as others have also said, move the rug out. Then post a new photo.

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    the color is the worst !!!
    We almost didn't rent due to that.
    We aren't painting but will be moving anyway after lease is up , hopefully finding a house by then .

pulled the rug out , switched lamps from.one we had in the office.
    haven't done anything around the fireplace yet .
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    the lamp isn't great
    Just shows the height suggested.
    This may be a ridiculous question but which shade . first , second or neither .
    thankyou ALL
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Rug size is fine and if this is a short term rental for you, I wouldn't worry about putting to much money into it. Try that lamp on the table behind the sofa. It's too short for this table. Is the lamp on the sofa table in between the sizes of this one and the aqua one? If so, you might try it here.

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    thanks tedbixby
    I 'll try it ....the space is actually a window ledge
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    it's a little shorter
    well see , thanks for the feedback.
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    tedbixby
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

That's the widest window ledge I've ever seen!

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    This is really a funky place....
    The spot is quiet and backs up to a beautiful watershed, lots of wildlife
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

I'm shopping your space. It appears that you have a plant in a blue/white vase on the window ledge. Try it on this table with the lamp.

• tedbixby
    5 years ago

I love funky and I love nature. I noticed you backed up into the woods. No matter how short of time you live here, this place will end up being special to you because of it's location.

And what color are the walls?

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you
    That was the point
    Just moved from Arizona
    the walls are a pea ish green
    I wasn't able to get the actual color from the owner
  • Phoebe Sackett
    5 years ago
    I think you have a great idea with the mixed stones & glass. Use that as your basis for both rooms. First I would find a fun tray, maybe even mirrored, for your coffee table & put the stones with squatty candles on it. That sets the tone.
    Then find wall art you like. Don’t let anyone choose it for you. Take photos of your rooms & the inspiration glass and choose art that you really like to look at, not what is matchy. Be sure to measure spaces before you go & think of proportion when you choose. If it were me, I would choose a Fun piece for over fireplace and a mirror or several small mirrors for the dining room. It seems darker than your living and the mirror/s would give nice reflection. I would also put the table & aqua lamp up in the corner of dining room for light & to bring your eye to that color in that room. Remembering your inspiration colors, then find cushions for dining chairs and placemats, napkins & a center piece like a chunky vase you could use for flowers.
    Also, remove the ottomans & orange flowers to another room, find fun pillows in your inspiration colors for your sofa & chair, a throw for your sofa and maybe a fun throw or quilt to hang over the railing close to the wall. That would say, “these rooms are buddies”. Depending on your fireplace art, you can use the aqua glass pieces on the mantel with dark blue taper candles & maybe squatty candles like your coffee table. It looks like a blue & white flower pot on the dining landing. If it is big enough, use it for your plant by the fireplace. The whole idea to me is for your eye to travel and see continuity, so little spots of your colors keep the eye moving. I looked on Pier One website & there are tons of fun wall art & mirrors in your colors. Might be a good start & is fairly budget friendly.
    Most of all have fun.
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Are they peaish green gold?

I moved from AZ back to MI. recently! I was tired of the heat ( call me crazy but I would rather deal with snow) and I was missing real trees. So I hear you girl!

On the ledge- far right lamp, to the left of lamp but placed in the middle of the ledge flat basket that is on fireplace and then the 2 aqua glass pieces next to each other at the opposite end of the lamp.

Does that blue cloth on your coffee table mean anything to you or serves any purpose?

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Phoebe Sackett
    thankyou so much for taking the time to respond ! hmmm.
    truthfully I am having fun and love your ideas .
    knowing me, I will keep moving things around ......the few changes today already make a huge difference. I am glad I checked in and I appreciate everyone .I really needed some advice. still love the seaglass colors. if you or anyone has a suggestion on seascapes ( love the vintage ) let me know .
    Thank you again
    Heather
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

What size of seascape do you need for that spot above the fireplace? Including frame.

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes tedbixby
    pea ish green gold
    the flowered napkin is gone
    working on the windowsill. the area above the mantle is 52 wide 38 tall .I would imagine at least 24 x 24 or so .
    I 've been looking, there's a LOT out there!
  • J J
    5 years ago
    Your place looks familiar to me. Are you in PNW? Of course, only answer if you are comfortable sharing.
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Don't forget to look at Craigslist for your vintage painting and do you have some furniture consignment shops near by? If you look beyond the frame, which can sometimes be painted to make it better, you might find something. Ebay is another place to look. Search vintage seascapes and quite a few come up. Overall I've had success finding art there.

And peaish green gold isn't bad. Goes well with your flooring :)

How would the red plant ( Christmas Cactus?) on the fireplace work on the coffee table?

• housegal200
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

This may be a case of pieces you love individually that don't work with each other. There are too many major colors--tannish walls, reddish gold floors and coffee table top, ivory sofa, gray pillows & ottomans, blue rug. You can paint the walls ivory or pale gray or find rugs and art work with just a few of the colors. I suggest minimizing the blue by getting a new rug. Work with the ivory sofa, reddish floors, tannish walls, gray ottomans.

--Rug--get a bigger one with ivory, reds, tan, gray.

Caftan Stripe Multi Rug, 8'x11' · More Info

Safavieh Savannah SVH628H Area Rug, Yellow/Yellow, 6'x9' · More Info

Art work:

--Your gray pillows don't pull together rug, walls, floor. Instead:

Orange Gray Zebra Design Throw, 18x18 Pillow Cover · More Info

Fyssyt Pyllyr Couch Throw Pillow - Cover (16 x 16 ) with pillow insert - Indoor · More Info

The Pillow Collection 18" Square Uchenna Stripes Throw Pillow · More Info

Art:

Contemporary Hand Painted Canvas Art, Extra Large-Wide Open 1", 77x39 · More Info

"Quiet Pass" By Anastasia C. Painting on Wrapped Canvas · More Info

Yosemite Artwork - Full Bloom I · More Info

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Judi
    I'm not familiar with PNW...
    Wilmington NC
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    housegal200
    I understand what you're saying
    when we moved I had a LOT in storage.
    I bought the sofa and chairs .
    entertainment center and rug at a great place .(
    Greenfront furniture Farmville Va)
    the rug can go elsewhere but I am trying to become more of a minimalist ( mainly use what I have) .... I could buy some pillow covers or have them made .
    I absolutely LOVE houseshopping , forget the clothes! my taste is often too expensive .
    anyway, appreciate all the wonderful ideas .
    Maybe our next place will be a better color.
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

Any up-dates on moving the accessories around?

Not to step on Judy's toes but I think PNW means Pacific Northwest. You are just on the other coast :)

• loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    Because you are renting, I am making suggestions based on what is yours and will move with you. In other words, I am choosing to somewhat ignore the celery coloured walls and orangey floor. Although, I will point out that if you should happen to like orange, it is the complementary colour to blue, and looks great paired with teals/turquoises/aquas. I like the cobalt blue and aqua together personally, I just think you should consider finding some fabric (for pillows; I don't feel like the grey is doing you any favours) and art that help to tie the colours together better. I have no idea what might appeal to you, but here is some art I found on Pinterest that has your colours in it.......
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    And some fabric/pillows.....
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    Some art with orange and gold/tans in it (second one might be nice if you should ever decide to go with a saddle coloured ottoman?).....
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    I would also suggest that you move your rug from the living room to the dining room and get something larger for the living room. I would recommend a larger piece of art for the dining room and some sort of console table, upon which I would place some of your aqua glass items. I would then think about arranging your knick-knacks and plants differently. Right now, it seems to me like you have too many little 'things' scattered about. Grouping them together (where possible) would give them more impact (I think) and look more intentional, less heater-skelter. Aim for groupings of three and staggered heights to give the most visual appeal. Overall, I think you have some beautiful pieces and your home does look cozy to me, it just needs a bit of tweaking. Good luck!
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    A few final ideas.....
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    loves to decorate
    THANKYOU for taking time, especially the lovely pictures .
    I was thinking about putting the rug on the bedroom but I have a king .It's 8×10 .....
    suddenly I don't like anything here ugg.
    I do, just should not gave picked the rug.
    What color rug * forget the grey *
    I don't want that to be a mix . I 'll get pillow covers. I was thinking a soft wool berber in a lighter color or a quality jute type but I m assuming that would be tan like a wheat color . I sure would have a LOT more flexibility. I like the art you chose .wish I could find the one on the right with
    the "saddle colors" like you had mentioned.
    I'm afraid the blue would look right in the dining room ?!
    I can't really fit more than the 8x10 in the living rm I pulled it out so just the front sofa legs are sitting on it .
    I am pulling out some unframed art to see how I may use it.
    smaller prints .....
    Well thankyou !
    If you have any feedback regarding this comment PLEASE feel free .
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

What? What happen to you rearranging the items? Why this turn about face? Don't you want to work with what you have with some tweeking? If not, that's ok but then tell us what you want to replace as I really don't understand what you wrote and if the rug is being replaced give us a budget for it, too.

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    tedbixby
    yes I do ,
    I think I need to replace the rug so that I can add colors that I want .
    I do agree I have some " mixed up" items .
    I like them so what color would you suggest for the rug . I would like to get slipcovers for the pillows. I am so glad that I m getting advice! it motivates me .
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    a budget for the rug , 500.00 .
    if a neutral jute type I like the idea of layer, what do you think ?
    I have been rearranging but am stuck with the rug color . it's really a pretty blue with creme accents in real life . I still think I should have gone with a tan ?
  • tedbixby
    5 years ago

What colors do you want to add?

The blue rug appears to be a neutral enough blue that I think that if we can change out accessories that it will be less expensive than replacing the rug and then having to add more accessories to pull it all together. But if you really have your heart set on a tan rug..

If you want to try and work with the rug before changing it out, can you take the coffee table off of your rug and take a photo of the rug and post it in your ideabook. I can capture it and put it in my ideabooks so I can play around with accessories with it and sketch things out. I'm not proficient in photo shopping so I use the houzz sketchbook. Might as also do a photo facing the sofa so that the coffee table and sofa and rug are all in the photo, if possible. Then I can sketch accessories behind the sofa.

Can you post a photo here that shows the rearranging that you've done in the room so far? I'd like to see what is working and what isn't.

• loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    Regarding the second teal/tan abstract art you liked, it can be found on Etsy. L Dawning Scott, prt# 1027 title:Coastal Beauty Collection shades of blue, Aqua, orange, teal, copper, taupe and tan. As for your rug dilemma, I like the blue one and don't feel you should change it, unless you really want to. I think if you can get some pillow covers in a fabric that has some cream (like your sofa) blue and aqua in it, it will pull everything together. If your heart is set on a saddle coloured ottoman (such a beautiful colour, IMHO) that will work too, but I would suggest you purchase a coordinating pillow (just one) as well. Between the right fabric/pillows, your rug and some art, I think you will achieve a very pulled together look that will be beautiful where you are now, and wherever you wind up.
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    The pillow is from CB2 and the ottomans are from West Elm, Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware.....
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    Forgot to mention, the Ikat pillows were all from Etsy as well. And I was thinking...does anyone sit in the chair to watch tv? If not, then I would suggest swapping the positions of the table with the lamp and the chair, angling the chair toward the sofa. It would look less awkward I think and create a better conversation area. Just a suggestion.
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    It all sounds wonderful.....thankyou .
    I could do this 24/ 7
    going home soon and I will talk my hubby into a different lounging area!
    he thinks I am nuts .
  • loves to decorate
    5 years ago
    Ha! As my Houzz name suggests, I love all things related to interior design and decorating- seriously, I am not ashamed to admit I am a bit obsessive about the subject. Of course, I prefer to call it my 'hobby'. I can't walk past any home decor store without stopping in 'just to see' what's new and I am guilty of regularly, moving/switching/changing things around in our home. Luckily I am not afraid of DIY projects and I like to sew and paint (really helps with the budget). My husband thinks I'm nuts too, but thankfully he indulges me. He realizes this is something I truly enjoy, so although he likes to tease me about it (you are at it, again?) he doesn't give me any real grief and pretty much lets me do whatever I want. I wish you the best of luck on achieving the look you are after (hopefully without stressing either your husband or your budget too much) and perhaps more importantly, I hope you can have some fun with the process.
  • happyleg
    5 years ago

I would put large plant beside couch. little plant on coffee table. Lamp on either end there. Lamp won't be blocking tv. Agree bigger rug. It's ok to mix blues!

• Green Frog Cleaning
    5 years ago

It's better to plan a perfect arrangement for your home and organise spaces in your home wisely. It will be comfortable to live. You can take advice from experts as well.

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I moved some things around, took some pictures and used some " props" for color ideas .....and there is the blue rug !
    please let me know what you think if you gave a minute now or anytime !!
    keep in mind, I pulled things out of boxes , arranged small items on the mantle ( colors are ( ??!??!?) ....and so on. I am really being VERY indecisive ( I know) , just throwing it all out there. I have a LOT of art from my Sister that is not framed. I could lay it all out and take a picture.
    ( it's " out there " in some ways, definitely not any of Houzz styles ) but I love having personal things that remind me of my " loves". thanks you for looking .
    #1 like the colors , I placed table naps on a couple pillows. coffee table arrangement is just ok .
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    #2 The rug close up & another fabric I wanted to look at for colors .
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    #3 Just a couple things I set on the mantle.
    The pictures may not be appropriate but wanted you to see some color.
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have pretty purple glassware also
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    #4 last one.....I have always loved this .
    It was always something I thought I could
    " pull " colors from. I'm not sure if a seascape painting or that style would work with this. I also put a jute rug with it to see the difference . what do you think?
  • Barbara Almandarz
    5 years ago

What a lovely space! Love the views outside! Since you are planning to move when your lease is up (I assume it's a 1-year lease), don't invest too much into this place. Ignore the wall color. Go with what you like in the way of blues. Your space already looks much better now that you moved the rug out and moved the ottomans. Do you use the lights above the fireplace? Do you have other can lights in the ceiling? If not you might need to find a floor lamp and put it beside the couch by the patio door. I'd move all the little things on your window ledges behind the couch and leave that empty. (minimalist). Personally I'd go with blue solid pillows with a lighter fringe rather than a small pattern on your pillows. Think fewer big items to make the space look bigger. Consider getting 2 mirrored sconces and hang them on either side of that window. I'd get a mirrored tray for your coffee table and display your smaller decor items in blues. If you want your multiple blue stones, add some shells in a plain bowl. Your beautiful crystal bowl is to intricate and fights with the small stone shapes. The mirror will lighten the space and reflect more light. I'd play with arranging several things on your mantle. Consider putting your lamp (on your window ledge) to the left side of your mantle with your aqua vase(s). On the right side of the mantle put something shorter, picture/bowl etc. Balance the mantle. You'll know it when you get it right. In the corner by the couch and deck, put several plants at different heights there. I'd move your cane chair to the corner by the TV where your plant is. ? Have it cover the corner of the rug. Perhaps put a floor lamp behind the chair? I'd move the side table and leave the space open. Let that beautiful brass railing be noticed! Keep it simple. In the dining area, remove the rug and get some clear floor protectors for the iron legs. That little rug is distracting. Add some plants on multiple levels in the corner by the railing and the TV. Then to tie into that outdoor space, consider adding an outdoor carpet on the deck with blues, or at least some cushions to tie in the 2 spaces. Good luck!

• Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Barbara A !!! Thank you .
    What color pillows ? They will have to be slipcovered. ....solid blue like the shade in this pattern lighter or darker ?
    I m not sure where the lamp would go .
    there is no windowsil .. I like idea the of small table gone ....hubby likes the spot.
    maybe.....
    What do you think about the type of art over the mantle ? Yes , I am remembering the minimalist .I am taking all of what you suggested IN .
    Thank you for the encouragement.
  • Heather Lee Ferguson
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Barbara , I have & use the lights above fireplace. There are twonskylights in the living rm. what do think of a jute rug, would that be a better choice?
    should I get new lamps ? I would like to at least get new shades. what color?
    Thank you!!!
  • PRO
    Valter and Anna fon Eynik
    5 years ago

You can consider the glass top coffee table. Will add some air ib this place!

Couple examples

Modern Rustic Coffee Table · More Info

Furniture · More Info