Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vmiley21

buyers remorse on cabinets

Veronica
5 years ago
I just had my walls and kitchen cabinets painted. The walls are repose gray and cabinets Eider white by Sherwin Williams. I love the walls but I’m starting to have buyers remorse on the kitchen cabinets as they look more white than I thought. I was just about to put the hardware on which is polished chrome but thinking with black be better. Before I’m overreacting I could use some thoughts on what I should do. The island was painted duck tail which I love. Is it the lights?

Comments (27)

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    The color is perfect and everything looks beautiful together. Whatever you intended it couldn't look any better than this. Great job!
  • K R
    5 years ago
    I think they look gorgeous!
  • lajsimmons54
    5 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful. The cabinets turned out great. I agree that black would look better.
  • kazmom
    5 years ago

I think your kitchen turned out beautiful! What color/look were you going for with the cabinets?

• Sue 430
    5 years ago

I think it looks great but I would not do black pulls. I think that it will stand out way too much, I would go with a silver colored one

• Veronica
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Finding clear bulbs is not the easiest. Makes me think about changing the pendants all together so the bulb is not showing. For the cabinet color, I was only trying to go for a shade lighter than the repose Gray which I thought was eider white
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Yes! It's the lights. A kitchen should have ~35 lumens per square foot coming down from an 8 foot ceiling and even more if you have taller ceilings. Also, I've read task light such as above an island might need as much as 75 lumens per square foot; of course this would be with a fixture that doesn't blind those seating at the island.

Black hardware would make it worse, IMO. To look well designed, the black needs to be repeated in another finish otherwise it just stands out, not in a good way.

• blondelle
    5 years ago
    The black, or oil rubbed bronze is on the pendants. If you match the knobs to the pendants it will look fine. I think the metal on the pendants needs to be repeated somewhere. Polished chrome might be too modern looking.
  • DrB477
    5 years ago

Cabinets look good. I'd use a less shiny silver metal myself (brushed nickel) think black is too much contrast.

• PRO
    M Doshi
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If the reason it looks off putting to you is because the cabinets looks yellowish, then yes it's the lights. If you install white lights it would remedy that problem

• lisadlu16
    5 years ago

It looks great! I think you aren't used to the change yet. I would do chrome hardeware and change the light pendants.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

I think they look beautiful, and "elderflower" usually means a slightly yellow-grey white (elderflowers are not white white), so you must have liked a bit of yellow to have picked it, and your greys are not cool greys, so they go well.

But if it bothers you, change to cooler lighting if it still bugs you after you've lived with it a couple of weeks.

• Veronica
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I just needed some reassurance.
  • Veronica
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Now it’s just a matter of me deciding on if I should change my pendants
  • sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I should have written in my original comment that I think your kitchen is beautiful. I didn't realize until I reread the post that it's an update -- I thought it looked like new construction.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I just needed some reassurance.

When things turn out differently from what you envisioned, it can be hard to see that they are just as nice as what you had in your head.

It's a lovely kitchen and I think you'll see that after you get used to it.

• artistsharonva
    5 years ago

daylight bulbs on a dimmer wil help.

looks nice overall

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

I could be wrong, but I believe that the warmer the color temperature of the light is, the more yellow things in the room look. So bulbs with a CT of 2700k can look quite yellow (think candle light or traditional incandescent), 3000k is a soft white, 5000k is approaching almost blueish in comparison, like sunlight outdoors midday. To my eyes 5000k can seem a little harsh -- but it might bring out the gray tones of the paint more (it also will affect how the other colors look, so beware! they might not look as good to you!) You could buy a couple of bulbs in the various color temps to try out in your cans to get an idea.

Also actually seeing the eider white up next to the gray elements will make it look whiter. That was true of the simply white that I used -- if placed next to a true white (like a piece of typing paper) I can see that it is slightly yellow, but on the wall, in my room, it looks much whiter (just as I'd hoped).

I like the Eider white, I think it is perfect.

What would be the reason to change the pendants? If you like them leave them; if you don't then change them. They won't affect the look of the cabinets really.

Dark hardware will work, it will be an accent element that will draw the eye though. Nickel will be quieter. Just depends on the look you want. Browse some photos on Houzz to see examples of both.

• PRO
    Colorado Kitchen Designs
    5 years ago
    it looks great. I agree with everyone about the lighting. Change to daylight bulbs.
  • nosoccermom
    5 years ago

Well, they're not gray, but they sure are beautiful and classic.

I actually think you're lucky as the color will give you more option, should you tire of the gray look sometime in the future.

Enjoy your kitchen.

• dabjg
    5 years ago
    Your kitchen is beautiful! I wanted to paint my home with Repose Gray but decided to go with Requisite to add more color( we get a lot of sunlight).

I did use Repose Gray in my master bedroom and bath. You have a beautiful kitchen !!
  • J Kay
    5 years ago
    It’s beautiful!! Chrome or black hardware!
  • Waynette Bailey
    5 years ago
    You did a fine job with all of your choices. Now chill out, have a cup of tea and enjoy your accomplishment!
  • dandcnisky
    5 years ago

I agree. Your kitchen is beautiful. I love the pendant lights you have over your island and agree that the bulbs should be changed. Also, I think either the black or nickel hardware would work. Great job. I edited the cabinets with black pulls so you can get an idea how the darker would look (sorry it’s so amateur)

• PRO
    Michelle Yorke Interior Design LLC
    5 years ago

We think the kitchen looks great, if you feel something is off do try changing the bulbs. If you don't have undercabinet lighting you might also try to add that and see if it makes any difference as well.

Cascade Mountain Home · More Info

Issaquah Kitchen · More Info

• tozmo1
    5 years ago

Gorgeous! But indeed, different bulbs will affect the color. Test it out. A friend put in all daylight and it's like a baseball field all the time. Just too bright. Might work in your kitchen, but best to test and see.