Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Back to Sweltering Heat, Lates and Rebloom

shive
5 years ago

The past two days temps have been back in the sweltering 90s. There are still a few lates blooming, and more with rebloom.

Black Panther started reblooming today. It's only been a week since the last bloom on the original scapes.

As you can see, Final Touch still has several buds. These two scapes are still bud building. One has 19 buds and the other, 22. It's bumped Boundless Beauty out of fourth place on the Bud King hit parade.

August Cherry seldom makes it to August. But it did this year. It has one more bud to go.

The next ones are reblooms.

Promises Kept

Cobalt Rings has lost the inner light ring now that it's sweltering hot again.

Skater

My Mama Thinks I'm a Star

Lovely Pink Lady

And the very late blooming Last Chance for Romance

Debra

Comments (18)

• Brad KY 6b
    5 years ago

They are all so pretty Debra.

• Julia WV (6b)
    5 years ago

Lovely pics as always.Skater looks really interesting with the tone on tone color. I noticed on the last photo you have pods. Are you hybridizing? I've been snapping them off here because I don't want any more seedlings.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Julia - I'm always hybridizing. I want more seedlings. I just don't have much room to plant them. I've crossed Everything You Desire with Betty Bush and the former Valentine Sweetheart. Most of the daylilies I've bought in the past five years were with hybridizing in mind.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    5 years ago

My Mama Thinks I'm a Star has flair. Forgot how it performed this year.

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I like Everything you desire in that red, but it is reminding me of another daylil y, just can't think of the name. Love Skater! The color, the eye, the teeth, it is really calling to me. So many of my late bloomers are orange or yellow, my least favorite colors, so trying to add others. Final Frontier is the only one I have that is still blooming on its original blooms. Take that back, Party Pinnafore still has a couple of blooms. It has been on its last couple of blooms for 2 weeks I think, they bloom, and lo and behold, there a couple more.

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Nancy - It sounds like Party Pinafore is bud building.

• tarheelgirl_7b
    5 years ago

Very nice collection of blooms. I like the look of Black Panther. Last Chance for Romance and Everything You Desire also grab my attention. Skater is my top favorite from this group.

Lori

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lori - Skater has really performed well this season, and these late scapes were much taller than the first ones.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    5 years ago

They re beautiful blooms, Debra. Today I am really liking My Mama Thinks I'm a Star and Skater. You've had a lovely season this year. Black Panther has preformed really well, hasn't it?

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Kay - Black Panther is a superstar garden plant but a disappointment as a hybridizing plant.

• Nancy 6b
    5 years ago

I think Party Pinafore was bud building, Debra, but it is finished now. It is not listed as a bud builder, but i know it was on its last 2-3 buds for a long time. It bloomed right at 2 months, supposed to have 16-20 buds but most of the scapes had 25 or more. Really good year for it, I hope that does not mean it won't bloom next year.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    5 years ago

I like Last Chance For Romance. I rather like the white star down the petals too..........Promises Kept has the tight edges and form I like. Very feminine in the pale pink color.......... August Cherry always looks good in your garden...........Maryl

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Haven’t been on the web for a few days, glad I stopped to look today! Promises Kept and Skater are my favorites. I’m in a pink mood today. True pink daylilies are usually my favorite.

Sherry

• samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

No one's saying anything about Cobalt Rings; it's a toss-up with me between it and Skater. How are those two as pod and pollen parents?

Alex

• shive
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Alex - Neither of those has been a good pod parent for me this season, but the pollen from both has set several pods.

Debra

• samhain10 - 5a
    5 years ago

Good to know, in case I invest at some point. Cobalt Rings sure has alot going.

Alex

• dick_in_ohio
    5 years ago

I like Skater. Very nice.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts