Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_915181003

3’ x 4’ table butted up against 6’ x 2’ island?

Candice
5 years ago

Hi all - we’re renovating our kitchen, and can’t fit a breakfast nook in the corner as originally planned (original plan drawing attached). We’ve taken down the wall separating our living room and kitchen, and are now considering (due to space constraints) butting a 3’ x 4’ table up against our island, and making that 6’ x 2’ (originally planned to have a few seats at the island). Thoughts? We got the idea from pinteresty photos but we don’t have the budget for custom and thought we could get a nicer table, and have the option (and maybe a leaf to extend) to pull it away from the island for any larger get togethers. Would orherwise be myself and my husband, and we’re planning on expanding the family very soon. Any advice or concerns? Thanks in advance for the help. The drawing of the 2 rooms is to scale, though I don’t have the details of our living room there. The island would end where we took down the wall (red line)

Comments (14)

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

What's the distance from the red wall to the back door?

Candice thanked sheloveslayouts
  • suezbell
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Can you decrease the size of the island base cabinet and/or otherwise alter the island to create a bar either on the side or table (same countertop) on the end.

https://www.homedit.com/18-multifunctional-kitchen-islands-with-seating/

• Candice
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Distance from red wall to back door is 8’

• Candice
    Original Author
    5 years ago

On altering- we’re limited on storage space so we’re hoping to keep the 6’ x 2’ as cabinets. We also like the idea of sitting more in ‘a round’ at a table.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Are you interested in alternative layouts that include moving the kitchen door?

• Candice
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We are not looking at alternative layouts. The perimeter kitchen is staying mostly as-is besides moving the fridge to the outside wall and removing soffits above current cabinetry

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

Probably. What are the living room dimensions? What would go where the table is shown in the drawing? Have you left space for a filler by the dishwasher?

• emilyam819
    5 years ago

What about no island and a table there instead? I always wanted a kitchen like that.

• Candice
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I don't have the exact dimensions right now but the living room starts on the other side of the stairs (right side of picture) about 2 feet past the stairs.

We 100% want to keep the island, we need both the prep space and the cabinets for storage.

• Candice
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Inspiration images:

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Tables looks like the children's table at Thanksgiving: an addition to the main event. I wouldn't do it. Looks like not enough room for a freestanding table AND an island.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Is this a tri-level home by any chance? So you said you weren't considering alternative layouts, but I'm compelled to show you another idea. The objective is to keep traffic between your stairs/living/dining and the kitchen door out of your work space.

This layout requires changes to windows and door BUT I encourage you to get estimates before you refuse such changes. When we got new cabinets I thought moving doors and a window would be way too costly, but I was pleasantly surprised. We went for it and moving doors/window made all the difference in how traffic (kids and dog) traveled between inside and backyard.

These cabinets are Ikea. The island is a freestanding island--Stenstorp--with storage shelves and seating overhang for two.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    A table abutting the island is a good idea, especially if children are in your future. A high chair can work next to the table and the flexibility of having a separate table you can move a bit for guests works, too. Sitting at a table is much more comfortable than sitting on bar stools. If you change the chairs, look for new ones with back legs that don't stick out too far and cause a possible tripping hazard.