0

grow from seed Majestic Giant II Pansies (heat/cold tolerant series)

Diane (NC zone 8a)

Have done some researching on Majestic Giant II Pansies to do with how they should tolerate extreme heat and cold, and other details such as half shade tolerant. Living in the low south (North Carolina zone 8a), as I do, sowing in August without certificial (sp?) cool treatment for fall plantings, etc. All sounded good to me. Have seeds on the way that I ordered. Wondered if anyone on the forum has grown Majestic Giants from seed.

Nothing I read indicated this breed is biannual, so I am hoping these pansies will bloom within first 90 days give or take (?) Suppose to be hardy zone 4-`11.

The temps and humidity is high now. Thought I'd put seeds in trays and under my 3 sided open carport. Majestics are suppose to germinate within 4-7 days (quicker than most). If all goes well and I get viable seeds which sprout, then my concern would be our hurricane season Sept-Nov. (Last yr was horrid) I might want eventually to put them in pots, hanging baskets to protect from any forthcoming heavy rainstorms/flooding/hurricanes.

Am a newbie at flower gardening. Have never grown anything from seed before except vegetables years back which was sown direct into ground. So if anyone here is familiar with growing winter pansies from seed, do please chime in. - Diane

• Embothrium

You might get something out of this:

Pansies Enliven Winter Landscape

Q: How can I successfully grow pansies through the winter?

Read more at: https://wayne.ces.ncsu.edu/2014/12/pansies-enliven-winter-landscape/

Diane (NC zone 8a) thanked Embothrium
  • Diane (NC zone 8a)

Good article. Thanks.

• nandina

Diane, I grew Majestic Giant II pansies last year from seed. They did sprout within 10-12 days and then took a bit of time to grow to a size suitable for planting. Beautiful blossoms. I planted 20 seedlings of them in a wire hanging basket (planting each seedling into some of its 1" square holes ...see next paragraph for explanation) to create a cascading effect. Beautiful and easily moved to a better location when stormy weather threatened.

Note for those interested...I have been experimenting with lining wire baskets with Weed-X landscape paper. A very sturdy paper which encourages air root pruning of growing plants. This allows one to 'tuck' seedlings in large wire baskets inserted through the Weed-X paper.

. This spring I placed the hanging basket on the ground in bright hot sun to the rear of one of my gardens, still planted with pansies. Watered it if I remembered. Much to my surprise six of the pansy plants are still alive and it has been a torrid summer here. Yesterday I made cuttings to root. Being a pro I had to try rooting them two ways; in soil and also in water. Always something new to experiment with in this growing business!

Diane (NC zone 8a) thanked nandina
  • Embothrium

A very sturdy paper which encourages air root pruning of growing plants

How is this relevant to growing small herbaceous plants in a basket? What's the connection, the benefit?

• Diane (NC zone 8a)

My first concern now is if I need to put a dome over seed trays or pots during germination. It is what is always recommended, and I can do. However, it's 90 degrees during days and 70 degrees at night and wondering if covering will steam bath them to death in this weather til they show a sprouting. (inside my house is about as hot since I have only one floor fan and one window AC)

Rooting in water: I know coleus, begonias, etc can be rooted in water, and have done so. Didn't think pansies was on that list. I've read, altho you can get it growing roots in water, the plant system will not be as strong. Hope yours does very well.

The baskets lining with landscape paper giving a cascading effect sounds great. I have a roll of landscape "fabric", I think it's called. Blackish which supposedly keeps out weeds. Wondering if that could work instead of the Weed-X-paper. I passed up a stack of burlap sacks at an estate sale a week or so ago. Stupid me. Yeah, the idea of planting pansies in pots is great, giving mobility when storms come especially. Tho' if a sizeable hurricane comes again this year, I might have to take refuge holding on to the chimney on the roof, with a bunch of pansy pots strung around my body.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)