0

Dahlia tubers plant or store?

HU-374755308

What it is I been given 25 dahlia tubers with growth but I'm not sure what do with them can anyone give me some advice? Should i store them for next year or plant then dig up when getting cold? I know I supposed to dig my existing dahlias out for winter but not sure when?
Also I'm being bugged relentlessly by green n black fly then stuff I buying not doing job can I use washing up liquid / water every day til gone or is there a limit?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

info on winter.. depends where you are ...

are the Ds actively growing.. or dormant right now ...

are the flies bothering you personally.. or some plants???

ken

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

If the tubers have growth plant them in the ground or in pots. Lift when the first light frost kills off the tops. Don't use washing up liquid on plants. Just blast with plain water from the hose. Repeat.

HU-374755308 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Thank u so much going to do that tomorrow should I nip them when get bigger as I been advised so that with sum of my plants? Also my dog knocked my box of n few of the bulby things have snapped off could I plant them seperately PR does it need growth on?. So water will get rid ? As I said thank u again u have made my life lot easier.

To ken they are mostly bulbs but have small amount of growth at top. Flies r bugging me as on my petunia flowers n look horrid lol. N I live in Bolton which is north west England ;). Ope that helps u help me ?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I wouldn't bother pinching the dahlias. That advice is for dahlias planted at the correct time at the beginning of the season. Yours are being planted very late and may not even flower before frost where you live.

As for the greenfly on the petunias, spray hard with water and keep them dead headed.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i have to leave bolton and GBritain help to flora ...

ken

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

wait.. i would let them grow naturally .. and go dormant naturally.. subject to weather.. and then rely on flora for storage ideas ...

dont get wound up in issues that you should have dealt with in early spring.. like pinching.. or pruning.. or whatever ... and i would not fert them this late in the season ...

your only goal..imo ... is to get them to dormancy .. store them.. and dream about next year ... dont complicate your variables otherwise ...

ken

• purilisa

I am in zone 7 VA, have both the short single petal dahlia and the dinner plate dahlia. I have never removed them from the ground, I mulch a little and they faithfully comeback every year. I also save the seeds and grow new plants, as you never know what colors you might get. They are easy to grow from seed. I simply would not have time to dig them out and put them back in the ground again, I have way too many plants:)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

The OP is in the U.K. where leaving dahlias in the ground is very high risk. They are likely to rot, freeze or be eaten by ground dwelling pests. Some people in the south with very well drained and sunny gardens might get away with it but to be sure of survival they need to be lifted. They certainly do in Bolton.