Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theresa_conroy

Small bathroom- where to squeeze in towel bar?

Theresa Conroy
5 years ago

We are nearing completion of our modest master bathroom and I am trying to tie it all together with accessories and the final fixtures. We do not have great options where to hang our towels. There is a small space (~20") immediately on the left when you enter where we could put a small bar, but that would also be the space behind the door and I worry the towel will not dry well and be smelly. There is the space above the toilet, but I worry that is an impractical location for a bar so thought maybe just a hook close to the shower and some art above the toilet.

Or, would something like this from PB work above the toilet?

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/mercer-train-rack/?pkey=e%7Ctrain%2Brack%7C135%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C48%7C%7C3&sku=2978760&group=1&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH

We really need space to hang 2 towels (myself and husband). TIA for your suggestions!

Comments (16)

• Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

why not a hook/ring to the left of the mirror? you didnt include a photo of the right side of the mirror. and yes, two towels is my preference too. i'd leave my towel on the vanity rather than use my husbands.

Theresa Conroy thanked Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

If you are referring to bath sheets/towels you have no spot for a bar..........use HOOKS one tucked in close to shower and two in the 20 inch spot . They will dry better anyway, and you'll have a spot for a robe. Hand towels on a bar right of sink, or on a ring same spot.

Theresa Conroy thanked JAN MOYER
  • Judy Mishkin
    5 years ago

oh gosh i was thinking hand towels.

we also have a small master bath, and we don't leave our bath towels in the bathroom, we hang them on hooks on the fronts of our closet doors. 1. the bathroom dries really quickly without two giant wet towels hanging in there 2. it's much more pleasant showering without a wet towel hanging someplace that would surely be in our way.

not saying you should hang yours on your closet doors, just giving you the idea of looking around and seeing where you could hang your towel not in the bathroom. there might be an adjacent wall in your bedroom that would work.

Theresa Conroy thanked Judy Mishkin
  • emilyam819
    5 years ago

If you want a train tack to store towels, shop around. You can get them for much cheaper and probably better quality than PB.

Theresa Conroy thanked emilyam819
  • jeanieolson
    5 years ago
    Is it too late to have a towel bar installed on your glass shower door? We have one that also functions as the door opener. Looks great and towels dry nicely.
    Theresa Conroy thanked jeanieolson
  • leelee
    5 years ago

If your glass doors will support this it's a good option. Worth a try even if you end up sending it back.

Theresa Conroy thanked leelee
  • leelee
    5 years ago

Set this in front of the window. When you're getting in the shower throw your towel over the top of the glass door so you'll have it without dripping all over the floor.

• cbezak
    5 years ago
    I agree that hooks are a good solution as the towels dry much faster. Not sure what type of door you have but I use two of these hooks and they’re perfect for my situation: https://www.containerstore.com/s/umbra-schnook-over-the-door-single-hook/d?productId=10028633&q=Umbra door hooks.

Here’s a floor option, but it may not fit the space well: https://www.crateandbarrel.com/jackson-brushed-gold-standing-towel-rack/s434661#modal
    Theresa Conroy thanked cbezak
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

A towel within reach of a shower door eliminates any dripping all over the floor. Put a hook at the shower entry. That hook is reserved for the person who is showering. USE that towel IN the shower, when you turn off the water. My gawd.. Use your head too : ) and add a step out mat.

And there is no damp bath towel on earth that will prevent the drying out of any bath. That is a fan issue, and an open door when done in the bath.

• leelee
    5 years ago

Is it too late to move the plug? Looks like it's just begging for the hairdryer to fall in the toilet.

Large picture in the space over the toilet.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I put low profile decorative hooks on the wall behind the door. Our bath sheet towels dry easily there. Small hooks i use for hand towels or just lay flat in a drawer. The don’t usually get that wet and dry pretty quickly. I haven’t used “towel bars” in forever. They take up too much room.
    Theresa Conroy thanked Flo Mangan
  • palimpsest
    5 years ago

I like the idea of the floor standing towel rack in this room. And the hook at the shower.

Theresa Conroy thanked palimpsest
  • Theresa Conroy
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you all for your thoughtful comments and ideas. i like the idea of a towel ring by the vanity for the hand towel. The outlet's placement near the vanity is not ideal but was mandated there to comply with code (something about if it is closer to the vanity the cord could pool and submerge in the sink, although I don't know how that is more likely than hair dryer falling into toilet- I guess we will just need to be careful!) I had not considered the freestanding towel rack in front of the window and perhaps that is the best solution overall. I think we will put hooks in the 20" space as well. I wish I had considered this earlier and chosen a shower door with a towel rack as the handle- that would have been great! A hook near the shower is also a must

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago

The code thing wa a lie!! Mandate is a simple GFI.( ground fault interrupter) Wouldn't matter if you dropped the dryer. That is its purpose. Safety.

• palimpsest
    5 years ago

I also have a towel bar inside each shower or bath enclosure. Of course you can't have a towel on it during a shower but one or two can be put there to dry afterward.

(We dry the tile after use so it's not trapping moisture between the towel and the wall.)

The towel bars are all grab bars so they can serve double duty.

Theresa Conroy thanked palimpsest