Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sc890

White kitchen cabinets and hardwood floor color?

sc890
5 years ago

We love white cabinets with a Carrera marble counter tops for our new kitchen Reno. The problem I have is my formal dining room (separate room) has mahogany furniture. The kitchen designer feels for a white cabinet - very white but not hospital white) that we should go with either a dark wood floor or light gray. This would not work with the dining room furniture in the other room. How do I get the white cabinet without going to such a dark wood floor. He feels the white cabinet looks too stark with medium tone wood floors which would probably complement the dining room furniture. we are re-doing the family room which will be open concept and will be the same color as the kitchen.

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Detail Woodworks
    5 years ago

A contrasting floor is the standard when it comes to white cabinetry, however if you are not a fan of it and you like the mid tone floors to match your existing furniture then my advice is always to listen to you. You are the one who is living in your home,and you are the most important piece!

• leelee
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Can you show pictures of your dining room floor and furniture? That will help you get the best answer.

I can't imagine why a dark wood floor wouldn't work with mahogany furniture.

• jck910
    5 years ago

IMO all floors in a home should match. What is the DR floor? I have white cabinets in the kitchen, cherry furniture in the DR and my floors are white oak, natural no stain.

• leelee
    5 years ago

I would generally say that the floors in the kitchen should be the same wood as the dining room floors.

• johnsoro25
    5 years ago
    I can not imagine why your designer would think white cabinets do not work well with medium stain wood floors. The stark contrast is with dark stained wood floors. I would definitely do the medium stain you want.
    sc890 thanked johnsoro25
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Post a picture of your DR floor . There is no reason I can think of that would keep you from having a white kitchen with really any color floor, you just need the right white . I am only really guessing without seeing the floor in the rest of the house but IMO all the floors should be the same throughout the main living space and whilte will go with all of them.

• rantontoo
    5 years ago

I have water popped provincial on hickory and consider it a medium-colored floor with BM White Dove cabs.

sc890 thanked rantontoo
  • Sue 430
    5 years ago

I have a white kitchen with natural oak color floor ( pretty light). It looks great!

• lucky998877
    5 years ago

I have light birch wood floors and a white island. I love that combo!

Look at this picture, does this look wrong?

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

I see lighter floors similar to luckyblueeyes most frequently in new design pics:

A little darker:

sc890 thanked jhmarie
  • chocolatebunny123
    5 years ago

My sister in law has dark wood floors like the picture leelee posted. I like the contrast but the dark wood shows everything.

sc890 thanked chocolatebunny123
  • SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

Light or natural coloured hardwoods are often used in contemporary design (think Scandinavian Modern or West Coast Modern) as well as transitional design (wood is often used in transitional design to offer warmth and a sense of "home" to a space that is a snick more modern than most would feel comfortable in).

Personally I would leave the colour alone. You want your mahogany furniture to be happy and right now the colour you have is doing it's job. Why mess with a good thing? A medium or light wood floor with a "white on white" kitchen is STUNNING!

Kindly remind your designer you like what you have and would like to preserve it. That should be enough to ensure your wishes are maintained in the design discussion with your designer.