Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tob123

Help with exterior paint color please

tob123
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Houzers! I would greatly appreciate your great ideas for an exterior and front door painting color. We are in process of replacing old windows. Will do white frame for windows also.The roof is GAF shakewood. I try to avoid beige/tan color and lean toward gray/greige.

What would you do?

Comments (31)

• tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for your help. What bothers me this is small house to go with dark colors, might look even smaller?

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Cute! Since you don't like tan, would you do light gray body with a new wooden door? I

tob123 thanked sheloveslayouts
  • tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do you think it looks dull with gray ?

What gray will work good I do not know.

I tried Intellectual gray and Mindful gray. Both look beige for me.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Use a bit of caution with gray. It can have undertones you may not see until you get it up on the wall (this is how our old neighbors ended up with a lavender house in certain types of daylight.) I'd aim for a gray that has a greenundertone. Try BM Edgecomb Gray maybe?

• tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I thought about it. I have Edgecomb gray in our bedroom and like it, but it looks nice but beige. :-))

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Grab some foam core from the dollar store and paint up a large sample of edgecomb gray and prop it up at the front of your house. I don't see beige there. Perhaps it's the light bulbs in your bedroom? Otherwise, you could try a blue gray. Stonington Gray or Coventry Gray.

• PRO
    Nanke Signature Group
    5 years ago

The teal and gray you found both look great! The darker colors can shrink the visual size of a house but enhance the visual weight, so, overall the scale if the home balances out. Having a high-contrast trim against a dark body color also helps to avoid the "shrinkage".

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Sage?

Traditional Lake House - Goose Pond · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Look at BM Gray Horizon. It is a gray with green undertones. A deep yellow door looks good with it.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I have a small house, but my roof is dark gray. It's been about five years since we painted it and I still love the color. Maybe it'll interest you...

Below is the palette; body color: SW color matched BM Wedgewood Gray, Trim: SW Snowbound, Door: SW color matched BM Rich Coral, but I'm thinking of changing it up with the Providence Blue. The inspiration photo is what sold me on the Wedgewood Gray (though her trim and door are different.)

• tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Houssaon you mean deep yellow as almost mustard?

here is BM Horizon Gray

• tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@enjesbride Yes! The key word is Gray roof!!!!!!! Ufffffff. I love gray! I do not have it.: -)) I tried some blue and no one likes it.

Here is south facing side of house.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I think if you have a wood front door and wood shutters that relate to the color/tone of the roof, I think you could paint the body of your house virtually anything.

• housegal200
    5 years ago

Sorry, but the roof shakes you show look like a golden brown on my screen which is why I suggested sage. You have or will have a gray roof?

• tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Roof is brand new, the reason of shakewood shingles is that we have oak tree above the house and leaves, so did not want to have contrast with them. Probably silly from me.

And yes, it is brown with some golden, we have shade all the time. It looks darker in shade.

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I looked for a gray house iwth a brown roof and these (not-the-best) examples came up. If you love gray, I think it's doable. Plus, your roof doesn't really appear to be that prominent since you have that nice gable at your front door.

• tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

benjesbride The door is not wood. I will paint existing door. I kept in mind of SW Peppecorn , but when I put it in photo, was not good.

• tob123
    Original Author
    5 years ago

All my attempts to get right color. :D

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

I was suggesting that a wood or wood-look door would relate nicely to the brown roof, freeing you up to have more paint options if you're avoiding any hint of brown elsewhere.

I have a box in our basement that is overflowing with samples. I was convinced I wanted a shade of green and so my house was covered on all sides with about 20 different shades of green for about 2-3 months. I ended up with a blue gray house without even sampling the color :-)

You'll eventually land on the winner.

• emmarene9
    5 years ago

I think the wonderful garden you have is calling out for something bold or fun.

• Libby Estell
    5 years ago

I agree with emmarene. The landscape has me thinking of tropical Key West colors.

I like the aquamarine for the house with the other blue or the coral for the door. You'll land on the right combo for you eventually!

• sheloveslayouts
    5 years ago

Nice work, celery. I like that!

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    5 years ago

I did research for neutral Sherwin Williams colors with orange/yellow undertones. I picked Essential Gray

and did some rendering. It is on strip with brown/cold brown of fandeck by SW. Complimentary color for Essential Gray is Dress Blues, this one is for front door.

At least it does not look beigy for me.

• PRO
    5 years ago

Another gray color is SW March Wind, I used range of grays by Lori Sawaya wheel . It has more yellow hue, no orange

and compliment color is Dried Lavender for door from SW site

• PRO
    5 years ago

Actually I can not see difference between Essential

and March Wind

Here I added more gray color to Dried Lavander for front door

• PRO
  • tob123
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Finally we done with exterior paint, door , outdoor light and address plate. here is result. I got navy blue paint from FPOE hollandlac brilliant. Wreath may be would be good too. Still working on it.

• Bethany Dellagnello
    3 years ago

I'm so intrigued by the way some of you, such as Visual Images and Emmarene9, were able to take photos and try different color schemes on them. I am new to the site and this is perhaps common but I haven't seen it. Is there a way I can learn to do that?

• plf12652
    3 years ago

Go to Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore website. You have to really look around but they have a program that allows you to take a photo of your house and try different colors on it, photoshopped. It takes a little getting used to but gives a good visualization in the end. Or post here and ask if Celerygirl can help out....she is awesome at color renderings! You need a good picture of your house showing roof color clearly.

• Bethany Dellagnello
    3 years ago

Thanks! :)