jim1961_gw

Kordes Fiji rose progress...

jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
last year
last modified: last year

Ok first off we have two Kordes own root Fiji roses...One planted in May of 2016 and One planted in May of 2017... (In the ground)

The one planted in 2017 has never bloomed yet since planted but has two buds at the present time..

The Fiji planted in 2016 bloomed a flush of blooms for the first time this year (2018)..

Both roses I transplanted to another location this year as they are growing at a very slow rate......

Now they are planted beside each other in the ground in a location that they can take there time and grow...Now to see how they do in the future in our climate....

Fiji rose has been a slower growing own root rose in our climate...

HERE THEY are today August 21, 2018..

Fiji on the left is in its 3rd season...Fiji on the right is in its 2nd season...

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

It is small but a most glorious color

It is one of my favorite color

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year
    last modified: last year

Do you have a full bush shot of your Fiji rose Kristine??? (It does not have to have blooms on it...) Is yours ownroot? Thanks!

Anybody that has a own root Fiji please share your experience with it... Thanks!

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    last year
    last modified: last year

My first Fiji has done extremely well for me. It is about 4 feet high right now, healthy and flowers continuously. My Fiji number two.was born with failure to thrive syndrome. It’s 17 inches tall right now the same as last year. Very seldom blooms but is healthy. They sit right next to each other so go figure.

Then there is Fiji number 3 from Regans that came with crown gall. Sad as all of the roses soaked in the same bucket of water. The advice was to reseal the other roses in bleach water and that they should be fine.

Then for the galled Fiji I was asked if the gall was intact. Yes it was. I told to remove the gall soak in bleach water for 3 days to a week then plant.

So I’m happy to say that I’m pretty much done. I will likely get a few more from Northland. I’d also enjoy a few more of the Canadian roses If I can fined them.

I have some spectacular roses and a few crappy ones. It's getting to scary out there. The more money that some folks try to make it seems to many short cuts are being taken.`

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year

I agree Patty!

Thanks for sharing your experience with Fiji...I'll report on our Fiji's at a later date...

• smithdale1z8pnw
    last year

My 2nd year Fiji is 55" at its' tallest point, I just measured it. It's very healthy, the blooms last a very long time, I cannot detect much scent & I Ioathe the colour! I prefer bluey pinks & reds, mine has a yellow undertone, it looks almost coral. It's like a beacon in my garden. I will probably re-home it this Fall.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year

Thanks for sharing smithdale1z8pnw! Your Fiji is 45" larger than our 1st and 2nd year Fiji's...lol

• smithdale1z8pnw
    last year

I also meant to say it's own-root. Most of my roses are own-root and are usually very slow growing, Fiji is the exception. For example my Fimbriata is 8 years old & barely a foot tall, why I tolerate this is baffling.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year

Fiji is the slowest growing own root I ever planted here so far since I first started growing roses..lol...

I'm glad to hear your Fiji is growing fast though! Awesome!

8 years old and only 1 foot tall...Wow! I'm afraid I'd be calling on the rose reaper..lol

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Jim, I am pretty sure mine is grafted. I bought it at Walmart and it was ready 2ft tall. It is about 3 ft tall now. When the sun comes up I will go get a picture.

It had a great spring flush but has been slow to repeat.

This is from June

It isnt much bigger

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year
    last modified: last year

Your Fiji looks real nice Kristine! I was wondering about the repeat...Yours might be concentrating on growing roots now...Hopefully...

Our oldest Fiji (2) years had a Spring flush but no blooms since...

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    last year

I love your Fiji, Kristine.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year
    last modified: last year

Our one Fiji rose in the ground will bloom for the FIRST time since planted soon... (Planted May of 2017).... Drum roll please...lol... (looks like rose slugs chewed on the bud though...lol..But I'll take it...lol

And its having a growth spurt in our warmer than usual weather we had for the past few days...Finally, finally after a year and 3 months in the ground...lol

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year
    last modified: last year

First bloom on this Fiji since planted May of 2017... Wooo Weeeee Finally! lol

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    last year

Now that was worth waiting for, congradulations.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

Yay Jim . Spectacular !

Mine is putting on new blooms on the back side of the bush where I can't see them

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year

Made a decision to get rid of one Fiji rose... That deed is done!

Just not much happening with own root Fiji roses here...

I'll keep one Fiji rose just to see if it ever amounts to anything here in our climate...

I have a small bed that isn't used much so it is in there... Plum Perfect will be joining it next year...

• dianela7bnorthal
    last year

Jim it is interesting to see how Roses behave in different places. I have one Fiji and it is a very nice healthy plant here own root. It hasn’t bloomed much after its spring flush tho so I am a bit dissappointed. My husband really likes the color so I will give her some more time.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year

Yea ours are not blooming or growing much.... Please report back in the future on how your Fiji is doing...Thanks dianela7bal ...

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    last year

One of my Fiji did not overwinter successfully here in zone 8, the other three all had partial die back. This is quite unexpected as we had a mild winter this past year. I moved the remaining three into a 25” pot in Feb and let them recover. Now they are blooming with astonishingly doubled form, packed full with petals, perfectly quartered. I’m surprised as I haven’t seen this character of bloom from any photos or Kordes catalogs.

Any updates regarding winter hardiness and blooms will be appreciated.

• Rose_Apothecary_7b_ATL
    last year

So strange... sorry your Fijis are duds. Did you get them from the same place? I have one own root from Heirloom that I got last summer, planted in a huge pot, and it's growing and blooming well. Hot pink with lighter outer petals, no fragrance but otherwise a great rose. Healthy and no winter damage, outside of Atlanta.

• needmorerose_va_zone8
    last year

I got all three grafted from my local nursery. They came in 2.5 gallon pots. Their foliage stayed bullet proof clean until late September. Then bs a lot and completely defoliated.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year

our own root fiji and plum perfect died...i did not have much luck with either of those kordes roses here...

• dianela7bnorthal
    last year
    last modified: last year

I only have one Fiji and I have been watching it for scanty rebloom. Zone7b no die back. Our winter was mild with the low temps maybe in the high teens.

Jim I am so sorry those two roses didn’t make it for you. Where they own root? I really had higher hopes for Kordes’ cold hardiness.

Here is mine on her 2nd year in the ground. I had her in a pot for a year and it didn’t like it. I think it is maybe 3 1/2 to 4 feet tall. My biggest issue has been extremely low re-bloom.

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.
    last year

Our Kordes were own root dianela! Kordes should be fine in your zone 7 I would think...

Our two Fiji's had low rebloom and just would not take off and grow...Both gone...

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Awww Fiji, what to do. You are another huge Kordes full of foliage, so much foliage that your flowers are hidden within your lush greenery

You are so healthy but I really want to see your beautiful blooms

Do you stay or do you go?

• dianela7bnorthal

Kristine how old is your Fiji? Mine here has stayed under 5 feet with no pruning needed. It has taken 3 years but this year it has been spectacular. The first blooms in April 15 and still going. Maybe yours needs a bit more time to look fantastic. My Korde’s seems to need more time before blooming well than I like.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Mine is 5 and has been fabulous but the last year it started blooming inside the center of the bush hiding the flowers.

I love the color and it is super healthy .... But?

• jim1961 Zone 6a Central Pa.

What u going do Kristine??? I see a but...

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

I see a shovel in poor old Fijis

I should probably save a space for a Dave Bang rose

• dianela7bnorthal

Ohhh Kristine😮 that would be very tempting for anyone. Those are such gorgeous roses. I still remember your post on those beauties.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

His roses should be ready at K&M this summer. I keep checking but I don't see any yet.